Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Post Here If You Warranty Claim Has Been Denied

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2004, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
you got an alignment under warranty? Nice!
I believe Mitsu warranty allows for one within the first year/12K miles because the suspension needs time to settle in.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

that's f'd up, "your tires are too worn, you must be abusing the car"? LAME

Yup, exactly what they said, with 5k miles on there was a 1/16th wear up front, and they didnt cover my synchro problem under warrenty becuase they said the car has been raced and was being abused.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 06:37 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by expl0d
Yup, exactly what they said, with 5k miles on there was a 1/16th wear up front, and they didnt cover my synchro problem under warrenty becuase they said the car has been raced and was being abused.
Man, I would enter arbitration if I was you. That's completley wrong...
Old Jul 8, 2004, 06:46 PM

Can someone clue me in as to what a TSB is, and is there somewhere on the net you can find all of them issued for the EVO? I am taking mine in tomorrow for the sticker recall, b/c I didn't even have the sticker in the first place!
Old Jul 9, 2004, 06:31 AM

TSB - Technical Service Bulletin you can find the information at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/. A handy site for information and logging complaints.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 07:14 PM
Account Disabled

incomplete list of denial of warranty

OK kids, help me out if I missed anyone. Below is a list of people who have been denied service or had their warranties voided:

MSM S2K- Engine failure, VOID autocross
LpsamsonEvo8- VOID due to autocross
EVOKing8- Xfer case, four failures VOID
racerferrari- two engines, VOID
Neal@tirerack- company car voided, One Lap oF America use
:*-( blown engine, VOID
24KEvoVIII- VOID for posting timeslips
Gracing2000- VOID for exhaust and boost controller
QuicksilverII- VOID, denial for synchro b/c of MBC
expl0d- Synchro problem denial b/c of worn tires

Give me more and I will add to the list, or PM me, whatever. I am sure I missed some people.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by expl0d
Nice dealer you got there; I took my evo in around christmas last year, had 9k on the clock and no rubber on the advans ... the dealership got me a deal on my next set of tires.

-- dave
Old Jul 11, 2004, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

I'm seeing a lot of my friends get their warranties voided out cause of mods. The dealer wont even look at the car now because of mods. It's another ignorant thing dealers do. If you have an intake an exhaust automatically you're considered a hardcore racer.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Scot
my car has 11.5k miles on it.... i got it aligned under warranty and they did the recalls..... also my right headlight won't adjust up or down (not that I really give a ****, but since it was there), so they ordered me a new one.

no questions asked about anything. Nice courteous experience!

My car is stock....

I am not sure why people would leave a MBC on their car to take it to the dealer??? Duh.

what dealership did you go to. where are you from
Old Jul 11, 2004, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Another good story on my dealership ...

It seems that I've blown the oil temp sensor for the aftermarket gauge block that the dealership installed before I took delivery, I'm leaking oil like a 1980 GM station wagon. They are covering it under warranty.

don't confuse a few bad dealerships for Mitsu corporate practices ...

-- dave
Old Jul 11, 2004, 03:17 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by raymerd
Another good story on my dealership ...

It seems that I've blown the oil temp sensor for the aftermarket gauge block that the dealership installed before I took delivery, I'm leaking oil like a 1980 GM station wagon. They are covering it under warranty.

don't confuse a few bad dealerships for Mitsu corporate practices ...

-- dave
Dave
Thanks for the post. The whole point of this thread is to see how many people actually have had a warranty voided, and so far, the results aren't that impressive at all......
Old Jul 11, 2004, 07:52 PM
Account Disabled

OK kids, help me out if I missed anyone. Below is a list of people who have been denied service or had their warranties voided:

MSM S2K- Engine failure, VOID autocross
LpsamsonEvo8- VOID due to autocross
EVOKing8- Xfer case, four failures VOID
racerferrari- two engines, VOID
Neal@tirerack- company car voided, One Lap oF America use
:*-( blown engine, VOID
24KEvoVIII- VOID for posting timeslips
Gracing2000- VOID for exhaust and boost controller
QuicksilverII- VOID, denial for synchro b/c of MBC
expl0d- Synchro problem denial b/c of worn tires
arc23232- failed turbo not covered due to customer abuse, proof of abuse was turbo itself

Give me more and I will add to the list, or PM me, whatever. I am sure I missed some people. Or go to https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...11#post1059611 and post, please! I want to get to the bottom of this, as far as how many people are getting f'd in the a.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

i don't get it... if you want to complain about your warranty claim being denied than do so with a non auto-x'd STOCK evo... if an auto-x isn't an abuse of a car than wtf is?? If you're not abusing your car auto-x'ing than wtf are you doing trying to auto-x in the first place? And if you can auto-x your car and win without abusing your car than you should be driving professionally. And if you have worn tires and your car is 100% STOCK and they deny your warranty then complain. Since when has having a warranty been like having car insurance?? If you're going to mod your car or go racing then i'd suggest you find a good mechanic, tear your warranty into proverbial pieces and take responsibility for your actions. I remember, back in the day, when people used to wait for their warranties to run out before they started modding their cars. I’ll probably get flamed for my poor grammar and lack of enthusiasm for jumping on the “I hate Mitsubishi*” bandwagon but, for the record, I do hate Mitsubishi; for shipping a car with an engine that bogs under 1500rmp and a clutch that slips over 2000rpm. -rob
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Dave
Thanks for the post. The whole point of this thread is to see how many people actually have had a warranty voided, and so far, the results aren't that impressive at all......
Well, I agree that what is going is bad, but I'm trying to point out that there are dealerships that aren't behaving this way. I've had a chat with the powers that be at the dealership I use, their response was that If I upgrade my exhaust and there is a failure that can be conclusively traced to the exhaust I will not be covered under warranty ... like the guy who brought in the eclipse with the waterlocked blown engine from a cold air intake being improperly installed and sucking a few pints of water into his cylinders.

There seem to be 10-12 verifiable cases of warranties being voided due to modifications, out of how many Evos sold in the US ? 1500+ ? While being crappy for the folks getting the shaft, its statistically insignificant. And while IANAL, the warranty wording is pretty clear as is the US federal law governing warranty applicablity to cars that have had modifications made. They have to prove that you've either violated the warranty conditions or the failure that is being requested for warranty repairs for is indisputably tied to the modifications that were made.

The root problem is that if you signed a contract for delivery, you've agreed to the warranty. Proving that Mitsubishi, as a corporate entity is doing something unethical or unlawful in this regard is going to be very difficult. We will need to get a statistically significant sampling of the same failure that can be traced to the the root cause before a blanket class action lawsuit can be pursued with a reasonable chance of success.

Re: the district manager going to tracks or monitoring web sites, I quote "thats just assinine". Its more likely that the affected individuals will need to go back at the dealerships / districts involved to get any kind of satisfaction. I still don't see that as being likely via the legal system (been through it a few times).

How many of us can say they read the warranty clauses (even a quick skim) before signing the contract ? *raises his hand*

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I went through horrendous clutch related problems with my 1987 ESI-R Starion ... I feel the angst the affected individuals are going through, especially the father that bought the Evo to teach his son responsible racing. That dealership should simply be boycotted out of existance; word of mouth can kill a car dealership.

I will now start ignoring this thread, as that is what your post would seem to indicate that you would like me to do ...

br,
dave

Last edited by raymerd; Jul 12, 2004 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 08:53 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by raymerd
Well, I agree that what is going is bad, but I'm trying to point out that there are dealerships that aren't behaving this way. I've had a chat with the powers that be at the dealership I use, their response was that If I upgrade my exhaust and there is a failure that can be conclusively traced to the exhaust I will not be covered under warranty ... like the guy who brought in the eclipse with the waterlocked blown engine from a cold air intake being improperly installed and sucking a few pints of water into his cylinders.

There seem to be 10-12 verifiable cases of warranties being voided due to modifications, out of how many Evos sold in the US ? 1500+ ? While being crappy for the folks getting the shaft, its statistically insignificant. And while IANAL, the warranty wording is pretty clear as is the US federal law governing warranty applicablity to cars that have had modifications made. They have to prove that you've either violated the warranty conditions or the failure that is being requested for warranty repairs for is indisputably tied to the modifications that were made.

The root problem is that if you signed a contract for delivery, you've agreed to the warranty. Proving that Mitsubishi, as a corporate entity is doing something unethical or unlawful in this regard is going to be very difficult. We will need to get a statistically significant sampling of the same failure that can be traced to the the root cause before a blanket class action lawsuit can be pursued with a reasonable chance of success.

Re: the district manager going to tracks or monitoring web sites, I quote "thats just assinine". Its more likely that the affected individuals will need to go back at the dealerships / districts involved to get any kind of satisfaction. I still don't see that as being likely via the legal system (been through it a few times).

How many of us can say they read the warranty clauses (even a quick skim) before signing the contract ? *raises his hand*

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I went through horrendous clutch related problems with my 1987 ESI-R Starion ... I feel the angst the affected individuals are going through, especially the father that bought the Evo to teach his son responsible racing. That dealership should simply be boycotted out of existance; word of mouth can kill a car dealership.

I will now start ignoring this thread, as that is what your post would seem to indicate that you would like me to do ...

br,
dave
Well, thanks again for the post, but the point of this thread isn't "Mitsu is bad" or "Mitsu is good", it's to see how many people will post with a voided warranty. Doesn't matter if there was cause or not for the voided warranty, as long as it is recorded.
Right now, one of two things is happening:
1)No one knows about this thread so they are not posting
2)No one is posting because the claim of voided warrranties, for just cause or not, has been dramatically overblown.

Granted, the case of MSM is definitely wrong, where his warranty was voided before the car was even inspected in any way, but it seems like the other warranty voids aren't so cut and dry......