Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got rear-ended today!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2004, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got rear-ended today!!

I got hit by a kid driving an '02 silver Eclipse earlier today...

There was this soccer mom pulling out of a driveway without looking, and as I was braking to avoid hitting her, the car behind me couldn't stop fast enough. BOOM!!!

No one was hurt, and the damage on both cars appeared relatively minimal. My rear bumper is now sitting an inch lower (lower center of gravity for improved aerodynamics?), exposing bent hinges and screws. The exhaust tip is also bent (more back pressure for better throttle response?), and there are major scratches on the paint. The bumper cover didn't crack, so I hope the subframe is okay. Hmm, as this a sign for me to get a JDM rear bumper...

I'll visit some bodyshops tomorrow, get estimates, and use them against shady insurance companies. More details as they unfold...
Old Jul 6, 2004, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

i would bet on subframe damage i got hit the bumper cover looks almost perfect and my subframe bent...........
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Most of the fender-bender type accidents I have seen with the Evo that result in a scratched bumper cover are almost always accompanied by a damaged bumper beam and beam attachment points on the unibody.

SC~
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep.. welcome to the club.. Got rear ended by a kid in an audi.. Once the bumper skin came off, the bumper, struts, and the subframe (pan on the trunk floor) were damaged..

One great thing about brakes is they work really well.. One bad thing is that they work really well, and the Jackass behind you's brakes don't work quite as well..
Old Jul 7, 2004, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

You guys are absolutely right about the subframe.

It turns out that the support beam was twisted 45 degrees, the frame rails are bent, as are the trunk floor, bumper mount, and rear quarter panels. With all new parts, the final bill comes to............ *ka-CHING*- $3300.

I seriously hope the insurance won't try to screw me over.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 08:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep.. all that and it obliterated my Buschur exhaust, had to get a new kit from the cat back..
Old Jul 7, 2004, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

damn that sucks dude - sorry to hear it.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

sorry to hear about that man... i'd be more worried about developing neck and/or back pains within the follow couple days... whiplash = ouchie for years possibly (like me) disc damage = big ouchie for years (like me)... car's are more easily fixable... hope you don't feel any of those pains, that matters more...
Old Jul 7, 2004, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

shouldn't the dude in the eclipse pay for it? you should find him and steal his car to get it chopped and then pay for your **** + some mods with the money.. i mean.. good luck with the insurance
Old Jul 8, 2004, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

I think that guy who was TAILGATING YOU should pay for it. Seriously when your hit from behind, its ALWAYs there fault. They should have kept a safe distance.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

I got hit by a kid driving an '02 silver Eclipse earlier today...

There was this soccer mom pulling out of a driveway without looking, and as I was braking to avoid hitting her, the car behind me couldn't stop fast enough. BOOM!!!

No one was hurt, and the damage on both cars appeared relatively minimal. My rear bumper is now sitting an inch lower (lower center of gravity for improved aerodynamics?), exposing bent hinges and screws. The exhaust tip is also bent (more back pressure for better throttle response?), and there are major scratches on the paint. The bumper cover didn't crack, so I hope the subframe is okay. Hmm, as this a sign for me to get a JDM rear bumper...

I'll visit some bodyshops tomorrow, get estimates, and use them against shady insurance companies. More details as they unfold...
You guys are absolutely right about the subframe.

It turns out that the support beam was twisted 45 degrees, the frame rails are bent, as are the trunk floor, bumper mount, and rear quarter panels. With all new parts, the final bill comes to............ *ka-CHING*- $3300.

I seriously hope the insurance won't try to screw me over.
I don't know about up there, but here in GA getting rear ended is the other person's fault. So if that's the case up there you should be buggin his insurance company!
Old Jul 8, 2004, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Hope your ok
Sorry to hear about your car,
I am sure we are going to hear about more accidents like this, cause the Evo has such good brakes, the jackass behind doesn't have good brakes and isn't going to stop,
Kid in the Eclipse probably thought he was being cute by following as close as he can so he could check out your Evo, and I do believe it is his fault, driving without due care and attention for other road users,
but that whole BS about Safety space isn't going to work cause if you leave enough safety space in front to allow you plenty of thinking space, reaction space, some dumb *** will think it is his space and cut in front of you and then the next guy will do the same thing until you end up not even getting anywhere, and then on other forums you'll get this from the dumbass's that cut in front of you,
"I pissed all over an Evolution today, they ain't that quick"
The best course to take is drive defensively, allow the idiots to pass you and watch from a safe distance all the idiotic moves they pull, it is quite entertaining, especially when they are in such a hurry and 5 mins go by and you are at the same traffic light, and he is 2 cars in front, wow buddy you got really far, what a dick.
As I always tell the wife don't be a part of their accident whichis waiting to happen.
Good luck with everything
Old Jul 8, 2004, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

I hope you filed a report with the police :\
Old Jul 8, 2004, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you for all your concern. I went to the hospital for a check-up, just in case, and the doctor thinks I'm okay.

The police did arrive after the accident and cited the other driver. He has filed a claim with his insurance company and I assume they would want to inspect my car soon. I think they're "evaluating" liability at the moment, or figuring out how to avoid paying so much to fix my car.

I haven't pushed the car after the accident, so I can't tell if it'll handle the same. I was considering getting some aftermarket Cusco rear trunk and strut tower bars, so I can restore some of the body rigidity. What do you think?
Old Jul 8, 2004, 01:39 PM

Been there done that, was rearended three times two years ago in my older car and some a$$ backed into the front end at an intersection when my wife was driving it. (She was in the turn lane at a light and a stupid SAAB decided they did not want to turn. So they backed up into my car trying to change lanes. She gets out and tells my wife, "I didn't see you there.") Only one of the rearends sent it to the body shop. Called the other guy's insurance and they could do nothing while they evaluated the claim (he pushed me into the car in front of me and claimed I had hit it first!). Called my insurance and they said no problem, I put up my collision deductable they fix the car and charge his insurance and when they payoff I get my deductable back. No change to my rates or any other problems. So if they dick you around call your company and let them handle it. Just give all the accident information to your company including the police report and let them handle it. To save time you may want to set everything up with your insurance and then if the other persons comes through have them drop the claim. But either way you should be covered.