Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi VS Subaru 'pic'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2002 | 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

because the evo7 is NOT going to pass the US crash standards
Old Oct 4, 2002 | 06:10 PM

i always thought the evo8 bumper kinda looks like a mad japanese sumo wrestler.

anyhoo, if that bumper was made to pass US crash tests, why did they have to do the same bumper overseas where there aren't such tests?
Old Oct 4, 2002 | 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Most car manufacturers do not get into the habit of producing the same model car with different bodystyling. Not very cost efficient in the production line.
Old Oct 4, 2002 | 07:29 PM

Hold up!--- wait, why would the evo 7 bumper not pass crass tests?? and if u replaced the current one would it pass the tests?? and look this is a right hand drive model so it's an overseas evo but what happened to the (loss of words...) vent thingy on the hood??? other pics i have seen (such as the spy pics) have the vent thingy in that hood *sigh* im confused i guess I'll jes have to wait for official pics
eBeRt
Old Oct 4, 2002 | 08:56 PM

mmm, tasty!

Both of them too
Old Oct 4, 2002 | 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Hood vent

Originally posted by MEbert2
Hold up!--- wait, why would the evo 7 bumper not pass crass tests?? and if u replaced the current one would it pass the tests?? and look this is a right hand drive model so it's an overseas evo but what happened to the (loss of words...) vent thingy on the hood??? other pics i have seen (such as the spy pics) have the vent thingy in that hood *sigh* im confused i guess I'll jes have to wait for official pics
eBeRt
The hood vent is there, look to the left of the NACA duct and you'll see a wide bump, that's the vent.

The 7 would not have passed the 5mph bumper test without destroying the FMIC, that is why the 8 front is more rounded and "thicker" looking. To cut costs, will use the same component design for the exterior globally.

Oh yeah, nice pics. IMHO the Subie lacks class (looks too toyish and ricey) compared to the EVO, i'm still though.
Old Oct 4, 2002 | 09:24 PM

I'm running to my dealer wit cash in hand. After I hand him the money, I'm going to slap him around for selling me that front end!
Old Oct 4, 2002 | 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, the basis of the 5mph test is how much damage would be done cost wise in a 5mph crash. The previous gen's with the IC were they are would have cost several thousand dollars for basically someone trying to parallel park and tapping the car. This one looks a little more stable, the top mount on the Subies is why the WRX hit here 18 months before the EVO.
Old Oct 4, 2002 | 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Fake Evo...

I don't think this is a real picture of the EVO 8, but rather fixed picture of EVO 7. I attached a new picture underneath that points to some of the imperfections (at least compare to the spy photos that are running around).

1. Grill opening is to square for the EVO 8 and it is identical to the EVO 7. That goes on the sides and at the bottom.

2. Rear wing is an EVO 7 wing and they did change that!

3. Vents on the side as as deep down as the main opening, while neither of the EVOs (7 nor 8) has it at the same dept on both sides. The central opening is a bit lower on all versions. Also that part of the yellow one is too good (pixels wise )

4. Hood is the EVO 7 hood that has an angular aspect. Basically goes straight down over the lights and then straight connection to the other side. EVO 8 has that part curved (confirmed on all spy photos, Las Vegas included).

5. I didn't add this part on the new combo picture, but there was no good EVO 8 picture with an extra vent on the side of the hood, just like the EVO 7 has.

Oh well, still looks good!!

Mr. AWD
Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi VS Subaru 'pic'-wrongs.jpg  
Old Oct 5, 2002 | 12:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Very good eye. Jeez. Nice little photo documentary.

EDIT: Could just be a prototype vs production thing but damn...again good catches.
Old Oct 5, 2002 | 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
Very good eye. Jeez. Nice little photo documentary.

EDIT: Could just be a prototype vs production thing but damn...again good catches.
Thanks! Well, since I created a few my self, it is a bit easier to spot those little things...

You know what they say...the difference between something nice and something excellent, is usually in those small little details that are hard to see!!

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 5, 2002 | 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

I was thinking the Subie was chopped too. Look at the background of the pic, it looks like it's in a city parking lot..which is the last place two unreleased import cars would be taking pics at. The Subie's rims look like they are chopped on the edges.
Old Oct 5, 2002 | 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

Chopped or not I still think they are both awesome looking!

Anyone who is crying over how the bumper doesn't look good is being baby and obviously has never heard the term "function over form". You can all you want and it's not going to get you anywhere. Are you buying the Evo to look pretty or drive hard? That's what I thought.

Thank you for making that bumper so that us stateside can enjoy having a FMIC!

Last edited by EVOL; Oct 5, 2002 at 01:51 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2002 | 12:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think you misused the term "form over function". Function would be what you're stressing. Form is what they're saying is ugly.
Old Oct 5, 2002 | 01:30 AM
Evolved Member

What was changed bumper wise between the 7 and 8

Here is another picture that shows the difference between the bumpers on EVO 7 vs. EVO 8. EVO 7 has a much smaller profile, and that is what changed, so it will be stronger now.

And other changes (like more rounded look) had nothing to do with the 5 mph requirements. That was more of the standard procedure part that does between the different versions (wheels, spoiler and bumpers).

Mr. AWD
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi VS Subaru 'pic'