Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: How much HP will you modify your EVO to have, realistically, in the near future?
300 or less
9.68%
300-350
59.68%
400+
24.19%
500+
6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Bad steering feel on EVO...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this will happen if the tires have stiff sidewalls, usually present in low profile tires....
Old Jul 12, 2004, 01:38 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Very wide tires tend to want to follow the bumps in the road. The Ferrari has the same issue. The effect is reduced, on the EVO, when I have the 225 width winter tires mounted.

I also notice a bit of odd "feel" to the steering with the stock tires that I don't have with the winter tires/rims, but that I did have with the ST165 after its last shop alignment ... where the dealer knocked the wheel weights off. I'm beginning to wonder whether the stock tires were balanced very well (dynamic spin balancing vs static balance).
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also might want to check if your lugs are torqued correctly. I recently rotated my tires and a few days later my steering felt loose around slow corners, and sure enough, two of the lugs were slightly loose. Not enough to turn with your hand or anything but enough to move a bit before it made the torque sound.

Also the issue of the car tracking is like others have said; "it's due to the width and low profile of the tires." The twitchyness is from the 13:1 steering ratio. Which I don't think is that bad as some people make it out to be. I can still steer the car with my knee when I'm feeling lazy.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

You know, I read about this all the time, and I just don't notice it. I can comfortably drive my Evo on the street/highway with one hand (sipping a drink or changing the radio station/cd) without worrying about bumps. Maybe it's just that the roads are good here or something...
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

I just got coilovers and all my problems went away....

In a nutshell, the stock struts suck. They are way under dampened, the springs are too soft so that half the time your riding on the bump stops.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:01 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by chrisw

In a nutshell, the stock struts suck. They are way under dampened, the springs are too soft so that half the time your riding on the bump stops.
ah ha! The truth comes out! I had the same thought, independent of the steering feedback, that the front end had a hell of a lot of body roll due to soft a** struts...
before anyone posts "Body roll is due to sway bars, blah blah blah...", I know it is PARTIALLY due to that, but it felt like I was riding on mush shocks...
always kind of felt like I was riding on the bump stops.....I think that's the awnser, not tires or steering ratio, but hitting bump stops constantly....
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's like GO KART STEERING!!!
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:56 PM
Account Disabled

I can't believe you can't say *** in this *** thread. we should have an *** thread.

wait, you could say ***.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:58 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by plokivos
I can't believe you can't say *** in this *** thread. we should have an *** thread.

wait, you could say ***.
oh man, aren't you the idiot that said jews designed the Corvette?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:14 PM
Account Disabled

Jew designed the corvette. It's true. How is that idiotic? He was with the company for a long time.

It was following after jap designing the viper, which is also true. Guess who designed the mustang?

are you the idiot who sent me that ugly private mail? what an *******.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
That's my whole point man, I CAN"T DRIVE IT LIKE THAT because the steering is not too stable on moderately bad pavement.
I do. I don't have a problem with it.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:17 PM
Account Disabled

Jew designed the corvette. It's true. How is that idiotic? He was with the company for a long time.

It was following after jap designing the viper, which is also true. Guess who designed the mustang?

haha, no that wasn't me....I just saw the thread got closed after you posted that jew comment.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:22 PM
Account Disabled

It's just kind of strange to say that a Jew did it....not really relevant to anything.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrisw

If we're always riding on our bumpstops our cars would handle like absolute ****. And why would you say the shocks are too soft? The ride is pretty damn bonejarrying to me.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:24 PM
Account Disabled

They close that thread down? Why? You could say Jap, but you can't say Jew?

I guess I can't say white people or black people either. I guess I have to say Anglo saxon heritage people and african descendent american people.

wtf

Quick Reply: Bad steering feel on EVO...