Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: How much HP will you modify your EVO to have, realistically, in the near future?
300 or less
9.68%
300-350
59.68%
400+
24.19%
500+
6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Bad steering feel on EVO...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2004, 09:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad steering feel on EVO...

Hey, is it just me or does the EVO have a hell of a lot of bump steer, that is, you hit any kind of pothole in the road or bad pavement, and the car doesn't want to hold a line very well. I don't think it's just suspension stiffness, b/c I had a Talon with adjustable GAB shocks, and on full stiff, it didn't act like the EVO does.....
http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's got a little bit of bump steer but I think its got less than either of my 2G's...Only car I have that has less is my TSX which has virtually none. I believe that the wrong toe in/out can affect bump steer so that may have something to do with your problem.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

It's not bump steer. Bump steer will rip the steering wheel out of your hand while going straight over a bump.

I believe that it has more to do with the stiff suspension. The car feels almost too stiffly sprung for street driving.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:13 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by g6civcx
It's not bump steer. Bump steer will rip the steering wheel out of your hand while going straight over a bump.

I believe that it has more to do with the stiff suspension. The car feels almost too stiffly sprung for street driving.
Wellll, re read my first post man. i've had my talon with full on stiff suspension, bone jarring stiff. You'd hit a pot hole and the whole car would jump up in the air, but the steering wheel would not yank my hands around.....
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Try this. Go over some straight but bumpy roads and take your hands off the wheel. If the car starts steering itself into a ditch, then you know you have bump steer
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:19 PM
Account Disabled

Try this. Go over some straight but bumpy roads and take your hands off the wheel. If the car starts steering itself into a ditch, then you know you have bump steer
Holy SH! let me say again, IT DOES THIS! Like I said, my car has bump steer.....I'm gettin the feeling that this is not normal for the EVO, eh? I bet my dealer will look at me like "EH? I sell minivans for a living.....what's bump steer? and give me the same response "Eh, probably just stiff suspension...." Think just a basic allignment will do 'er?

Last edited by TurboMaestro; Jul 9, 2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
Holy SH! let me say again, IT DOES THIS! Like I said, my car has bump steer.....I'm gettin the feeling that this is not normal for the EVO, eh? I bet my dealer will look at me like "EH? I sell minivans for a living.....what's bump steer? and give me the same response "Eh, probably just stiff suspension...." Think just a basic allignment will do 'er?

It's called a quick steering ratio Try it with 8.5" or some 9" wide rims
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

I understand what you're talking about. I just wanted to make sure people knew what bumpsteer is.

I don't have a problem with bumpsteer, per se. I do have a problem with bumps while turning at speed. The car feels a little unsettled as the weight bounces around while the suspension tries to stabilise itself. While it's doing that, sometimes you may find yourself being jerked around by the wheel.

An alignment definitely will not hurt.

Also, check this. In the EvoM FAQs, there's a section about having little plastic bumps in the suspension used during shipping to set the suspension. Perhaps the tech didn't remove yours during prepping. It's a little black piece. It's worth checking.

If everything is to spec, the only way to truly get rid of bumpsteer to your taste is by zeroing out your scrub angle. I can't help you much more than that.

Good luck.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:31 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evo 8 ya
It's called a quick steering ratio Try it with 8.5" or some 9" wide rims
Yeah, that was kind of my thought as well, man. Correct me if I am wrong, but the RS has the quicker ratio vs the GSR EVO? Perhaps this is what I am feeling with my RS......I don't wanna go with the wider rims b/c I think the front end tends to push a little bit too much as it is. I know when I put a real adjustable suspension system in there (tein) I can play with the valves a little and take that out, but I don't want to counteract that with wider rims......
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:32 PM
Account Disabled

I understand what you're talking about. I just wanted to make sure people knew what bumpsteer is.

I don't have a problem with bumpsteer, per se. I do have a problem with bumps while turning at speed. The car feels a little unsettled as the weight bounces around while the suspension tries to stabilise itself. While it's doing that, sometimes you may find yourself being jerked around by the wheel.

An alignment definitely will not hurt.

Also, check this. In the EvoM FAQs, there's a section about having little plastic bumps in the suspension used during shipping to set the suspension. Perhaps the tech didn't remove yours during prepping. It's a little black piece. It's worth checking.

If everything is to spec, the only way to truly get rid of bumpsteer to your taste is by zeroing out your scrub angle. I can't help you much more than that.

Good luck.
Yeah, I think it might have something to do with the excessive amount of body roll in the front end. i think if I can take that out, the bump steer will be a bit less noticable...thanks for the tip about the FAQ!
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

I believe the RS has the same 13:1 quick ratio rack as the GS-R.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:37 PM
Account Disabled

hey g6, where is that FAQ at man? i can't find it...
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, and when I first picked my car up, it felt a little bouncy and twitchy. After a few thousand miles, the suspension feels like it has settled in and the bounciness is greatly reduced.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:44 PM
Account Disabled

Oh, and when I first picked my car up, it felt a little bouncy and twitchy. After a few thousand miles, the suspension feels like it has settled in and the bounciness is greatly reduced.
LOL i'm gonna fix the bouncyness with a tein coilover system and let the stock springs settle in my garage!
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...ofaqs&id=16#58

Quick Reply: Bad steering feel on EVO...