Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Confused about Sway Bar Setting

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2004, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused about Sway Bar Setting

"The hole furthest out is going to give you the most understeer. This will bring the rear end around more on the car and help in handling. The inner hole will give you more oversteer pushing the car into turns. Generally oversteer is better on AWD cars. " -Vivid Racing

Ok I have a sway bar. Now correct me if im wrong. Oversteer is when the rear end come out.. And understeer is when the car pushes forward.. So these instructions are backwards then? I have my sway bar on the farthest setting out and it turns nicely and feels the best to me of the settings.. Supposedly the stiffest setting would be the inside hole, closest to the beginning of the bar, wouldnt this give me the best handeling?, though it get my rear end coming out less? as the directions say.. Im confused..
Old Jul 10, 2004, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

that's the way i thought it was - understeer = no drift, just push oversteer = drift
Old Jul 10, 2004, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

It depends on which swaybar you are talking about: front or rear. Please specify.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

The directions are bass ackwards. Understeer makes the car push into corners, oversteer makes the rear swing out in corners. To get a stiffer setting, connect it closer to the actual swaybar, as it has less mechanical leverage, it would be stiffer.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you are reading it incorrectly.. it says push the car into turns not pushing the car through turns... understeer pushes the cars front wheels too hard and casues them to loose traction inturn forces the car in a forward path, where oversteer forces the rear end to break loose first and allows the car to point where it wants to go then all the needs to be done is follow through... Depending on what style of racing you want both settings will be usefull... the understeer setting will account for much tighter handling where as oversteer can feel "loose" at times... But remember when the cars suspention is too tight it can break loose in a bad way on a turn...
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

So the stiffest setting, where my rear turns around the most would be on the inside setting? Im talking about the rear sway bar.. Is it different for the front?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

The stiffest setting is always the hole closest to the main stretch of the bar. The further away from the bar itself, the looser the setting. This is regardless of front vs. rear.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoRs
So the stiffest setting, where my rear turns around the most would be on the inside setting? Im talking about the rear sway bar.. Is it different for the front?
Front bar: Moving the connection in (towards the crossbar) usually makes the car understeer more.

Rear bar: Moving the connection in (towards the crossbar) usually makes the car understeer less.

The above is a general guideline. There are alot of things that will determine exactly how your car reacts to the changes though. Springs, coilovers, changes to the other sway bar, your alignment, wheels and tires, etc. will all impact how much of a difference any given change will make.