Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What are these gauges for?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2004, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What are these gauges for?

Hi,

I have a two-gauge A-pillar pod but I currently only have a boost gauge. I can't decide what other gauge to get simply because I don't know what the other gauges do.

Can someone explain what these gauges are for and its benefit? I know an EGT gauge measures Exhaust Gas Temperature, but why do I want to know the EGT??

1. E.G.T. GAUGE
2. OIL PRESS. GAUGE
3. TEMP. GAUGE (oil or water)
4. FUEL PRESS. GAUGE

Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2004, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

So you know if you're engines running so hot everything on the exaust side of the engine is going to melt or not. Is an indicator of a/f, as the temperature ranges from hot to cold from being lean/rich

We don't have an oil pressure gauge, its good to know the engine's actually pumping oil, good indicator if somethings about to go wrong

So you know how hot your engines running, not just a little scale between completely cold, and too hot.

As you start modding and using up more injector duty cycle, the stock pump won't be able to handle it, good indicator if somethings about to go very wrong.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only guages you really need are A/F, Boost, and EGT

A/F is air:fuel ratio= lets u know if your motor is starving for gas or running too much gas under load.

Boost= well you should know already...

EGT is Exhaust gas temp= basicly lets you know a few things lets u know if your running too lean, also can help to let you know if your detinating, becasue cylinder temps will rise slightly with detination...

If your mildly modding your evo jsut run a boost and A/F gauge... if you start getting in to turbo swaps and cam stuff then your going to want a EGT gauge becasue mostlikely your going to max out your setup.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

personally I would go w/ a boost gauge and an EGT gauge first.... A/F narrowband is pretty useless compared to the EGT in terms of tuning ability. A wideband A/F on the other hand is a great tool to have!
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

the Air Fuel gauge does absolutely nothing for you, b/c it reads narrowband. Getting one will allow you to do . . . absolutely nothing. The EGT on the otherhand, is a much better tool for diagnosing problems.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenshin
Can someone explain what these gauges are for and its benefit? I know an EGT gauge measures Exhaust Gas Temperature, but why do I want to know the EGT??

1. E.G.T. GAUGE
2. OIL PRESS. GAUGE
3. TEMP. GAUGE (oil or water)
4. FUEL PRESS. GAUGE
An EGT gauge is basically used as a poor-man's air-fuel gauge. To get an accurate air-fuel rading, you need a wide-band O2 sensor, which can run over $1000. And narrow-band O2 sensors are basically useless. But the EGT gives you a good idea if your air-fuel ratio is good. Too hot, and you're running lean.

Fuel pressure gauges are pretty useless unless you start really increasing your boost. If the fuel injectors run out of steam, your engine will lean out. But our engines are tuned to run so rich, that this will never be an issue.

So, neither of the above are helpfuil unless you start increasing your boost.

Oil temp is very important...more so than people seem to think. You really don't want to be on-boost until your engine is fully warmed up. People rely on their stock water temp gauge, but that's really not very helpful since the coolant will heat up much quicker than the oil will. Until the oil is hot, you're not really at operating temp and should lay off the boost.

Oil pressure is very important to people who track their cars. When your car is under high lateral loads, you may have problems with the oil pickup as the oil sloshes around in the sump. Oil starvation can kill your engine pretty quickly, so monitoring the pressure is important.

Emre
Old Jul 17, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

EGTs are also affected by timing. When the ECU retards timing, your EGTs skyrocket. This is a good indicator that your ECU is pulling timing due to knock. I wouldn't tune w/ an EGT gauge though. I'd just use it as a warning.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

widebands are getting pretty affordable these days..... I'm saving up for one myself!
Check out: http://www.plxdevices.com/
Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Buckkaaaa, be careful with the widebands.

The sensors will burn out in no time if youre constantly running the gauge.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 02:01 PM

Do I need an aftermarket exhaust to use an EGT gauge?
Old Jul 19, 2004, 02:18 PM

One more question about gauges....

For gauge sizes (52mm vs 60mm), do you measure the front face or the cylinder diameter?

Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kenshin
One more question about gauges....

For gauge sizes (52mm vs 60mm), do you measure the front face or the cylinder diameter?

Thanks.
Cylinder diameter. And you can use an EGT gauge w/ a stock or aftermarket exhaust.