Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I have a problem....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a problem....

I loved my 92 Talon AWD and plan to buy an RS in '05. But it seems that most of the cars I've seen on this forum through the picture threads are total rice. I mean, what's up with all the crazy colors, graphics and gaudy add-ons??? I almost don't want to buy an Evo because of the assosiation factor.... AND the cost of some of these "tuners" parts is hilarious! http://www.boost-solutions.com sells a set of HKS connecting rods for $1,400! Eagle H-beams are good for 1000hp+ so WHY would anyone need the HKS rod?

I love everything about the RS. It has AWD, LSDs, no power, no sunroof and it's ready to mod/race. But the most I'd do cosmetically is a set of Volk TE-37s and a set of coilovers. The rest of my money would go to Buschur. He seems to be one of the most knowledgable and real "tuners" around. He knows how to make DSMs fast.... I hate to follow one guy for all my mods, but he has thought everything out and it just makes since. Every part he sells from the IC upgrade to his TB exhaust to his turbo upgrade makes sense.... Who needs the Japanees brands like HKS, Jun, etc??? I don't see any of them here in the states with a 7 second tubular chasis 4G63, do you? I mean, how long are us Americans going to pour money back to the island?? In my mind, buy the car and support the American tuner that knows the car better than the engineers that designed it... but that's just my opinion...

/steps down from soap box/

Cheers
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

so whats your problem again?
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by blonde
so whats your problem again?

Sorry for going off on a tangent....

My problem is the rice factor with most of these cars.... Why do people take a perfectly good looking car and screw it up so bad????

Also, why do the names like HKS and Jun have their rods built by Eagle and make the price up 4 times?

Last edited by Fickle; Jul 17, 2004 at 06:28 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:27 PM

Seeing this makes me want to puke. Why????!!!! I think the owner of this car has a mental illness....

Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

To each his own. Why does it matter to you what others do to their cars? Who cares?
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 3240
To each his own. Why does it matter to you what others do to their cars? Who cares?

You're right, who cares.... But when you take pride in your car and everyone you know associates you with having a "rice" ride it kind of turns me away from wanting one.... There are countless Evos on this board that are rice'd out... I feel like I'm surfing clubsi back in the ole days....

I figured that more people would enjoy the performance of the car and making it faster, not spending a months salary on a body kit and 19" wheels....
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

what don't you like about the above car? is it the body kit that provides down force? is it the stickers of all the sponsers that made parts for the car and giving thir service? is it the race tires and rims?is it the speed the car can tear a speed track in japan?
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by blonde
what don't you like about the above car? is it the body kit that provides down force? is it the stickers of all the sponsers that made parts for the car and giving thir service? is it the race tires and rims?is it the speed the car can tear a speed track in japan?
I honestly like nothing about the car.... This is the type theme I love. www.shepracing.com ... A 1st Gen Talon that runs 8s and looks like a normal street car with NO stickers.... That's got to be the fastest AWD in the world. The only Japanese part on it is the HKS manifold/cams.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, although I think he chose the wrong way to express his opinion, I do somewhat agree.. I don't get all the spoilers and graphics.. Shop cars are shop cars though.. And that picture looked like one of them..

Personally my car has only an aftermarket set of rims.. Some like it, some don't.. But I personally think the lines of the car don't need changing..

HOWEVER, with that said, its only my personal opinion, and to each his own.. If you like what you've done, thats fine. I'm all about performance and drivability, so thats what I focus on.

Fickle, Just because you've seen a few cars you don't like, keep in mind that its really not the majority of cars.. A vast majority of them are completely stock, and many of the modified cars have a few bolt-ons and very few external mods..

I can't say "most of us" but many of us prefer the looks of the car completely stock..
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:40 PM

Another one of my problems is that I don't want to spend $26k for a car that will depreciate faster than New York minute... I'd rather buy a 1st Gen Talon for $1,500 and spend $8,500 making it fast. I would have $10,000 in a car that would annihilate any Evo in the country and for half the price of a bone stock car.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

good job comparing a drag racing car which runs the 1/4 mile and a time attack car which needs all the downforce it can get and runs at extreme high boost for 5-6 laps at a time.
Originally Posted by Fickle
I honestly like nothing about the car.... This is the type theme I love. www.shepracing.com ... A 1st Gen Talon that runs 8s and looks like a normal street car with NO stickers.... That's got to be the fastest AWD in the world. The only Japanese part on it is the HKS manifold/cams.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

than why don't you just buy a 1g talon?
Originally Posted by Fickle
Another one of my problems is that I don't want to spend $26k for a car that will depreciate faster than New York minute... I'd rather buy a 1st Gen Talon for $1,500 and spend $8,500 making it fast. I would have $10,000 in a car that would annihilate any Evo in the country and for half the price of a bone stock car.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I can't say "most of us" but many of us prefer the looks of the car completely stock..

I agree man and I'm one of them... I would like nothing better than keep an RS on the stock wheels but with a slight drop and put Buschurs biggest turbo upgrade and supporting mods on the car and drive around happy with 400hp+ to the wheels....

I just think that the Evo deserves more respect. It's not a damn Civic and it seems to be treated that way...
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

i am not so into all the "rice" stuff you are talking about either - but at least from pictures ive seen, most people don't do anything to their evo's.. at least in the last few meet pictures i remember looking at, they all basically looked stock... i even remember someone on another forum (honda forum i think) making a comment about how it was lame they all looked the same (stock) .. anyways maybe we are just looking in different places.. i mean yah ive seen soem like the one you posted, but just shop/race cars usually...
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Lol

All i gotta say is this is one lame *** post Dude who freaking cares what others do to their cars. EVERY car is the same, They make kits for possibly everything, i hate to see ricer evos or wrxs but **** it happens There are always ricers out there that will put there hands on a nice car and *** it up. Just get on with your own car **** wut others do