Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aftermarket IC Sprayers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2004, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket IC Sprayers

Which site sells a good intercooler sprayer for a good price? I'm looking for one because the stock one doesn't work and I plan to find out soon why if its unknown or too complicated to fix, i plan to get an aftermarket one to mount infront.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

u should hear the motor running when u press it... is the pump broken or maybe your hose is leaking?
Old Jul 18, 2004, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
Which site sells a good intercooler sprayer for a good price? I'm looking for one because the stock one doesn't work and I plan to find out soon why if its unknown or too complicated to fix, i plan to get an aftermarket one to mount infront.

dealer should cover this under warranty if not I would be reallt surprised
Old Jul 18, 2004, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

get rid of it.. mod your car to make that HP and save the weight. 5 lil ponies
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you could just put a Nitrous IC sprayer. It's like $600, adds good 15 ~ 30 hp, I think.

Ask Msand. He's got one and it's a killer. throttle activated Nitrous IC sprayer. Nitrous express.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

NoS in the intake etc always sounds like scary $hit to me. I've seen 50-100 shots blow up a few engines. Seems like direct port is the only 'safe'er way to go
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:07 PM
Account Disabled

NO2 sprays into IC, cooling the air in the pipe. I don't think it mixes with the air... I maybe wrong, but I think the NO2 IC spray just cools the air that's going into the engine.

Just makes the air more compact, so it's packaged to deliever more air to the engine...

Wasn't there a guy who hooked up a paintball Co2 tank onto the stock IC sprayer? I wonder if he ever succeded...
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

oh, Just sprays the outside of the metal ? Guess you'd still pick a really minor amount in the intake, but I'd prolly even feel safe with that.

I believe the guy w/ the co2 tank said the setup didn't work very well, due to the excessive Co2 being pulled into the intake.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

the nitrious doesn't have a dramtic effect if it is ingested by the intake. This is a misconception that many people have. Though it does make sense it does not give you anything more than a trace of nitrious in the intake
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:13 PM
Account Disabled

oh, that's too bad. Yeh, the Nos sprays outside just like the stock IC sprayer.

It does make a cool sound tho, whenever you throttle. mix that with bov and short ram and it's one car "Stump" show.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

if you guys followed Dave Bushur's old posts, you'd realize that the Nitrous Spray doesn't work. At all.

A couple guys that realized gains with it, what was happening was the Nitrous was getting ingested into the intake. When the same setup up was replaced with C02, the car didn't run nearly as well, even though it should have in theory b/c CO2 cools just as well.

Waste of money.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

true B.. the misconception is nitrous oxide is combustable but its not. spraying compressed n2o on the IC would at most result in having some of it going into the intakes and your car would run leaner only slightly and at most throw a CEL..... but majority of the n2o would dissipate into the atmosphere....
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
true B.. the misconception is nitrous oxide is combustable but its not. spraying compressed n2o on the IC would at most result in having some of it going into the intakes and your car would run leaner only slightly and at most throw a CEL..... but majority of the n2o would dissipate into the atmosphere....

No2 isn't combustible on its own, but when added to fuel, it makes the fuel VERY combustible.

IF you spray NO2 on the IC, and the intake ingests some if it, it has the same effect, more or less, as spraying the nitrous right into the motor.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:32 PM
Account Disabled

I think the whole point of having the Water IC sprayer is to cool the air in the IC. So in theory the cooler gas NO2 would cool the air quick enough to deliever more air to the engine for combustion.

I think it's not a waste of money if you're in a hot state like GA and down below, where it's so humid that the air delivery to engine isn't that good.

Mitsubishi thought it was a good idea, must be some logic behind putting that in their car. Why would they spend the money and effort to put that in if it was a waste of money? that goes with STi as well and Some porsches.

I guess the No2 seeps into the intake piping, but I don't see how... unless the no2 is traveling up to the ram air tube...
Old Jul 20, 2004, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

keep the stock system if you can. you could rig up a really simple on off one using windscreen washer stuff! cost next to nothing and they do work.

the N2O sprayer things have bin disscused loads of times on here. do a search and you should come up with some interesting results. these things do work, but not for long. it has still not bin 100% prooven that the gains are from cooling alone, although the theory says you will get gains. i know there was some one one here using CO2 instead and he said at idle is car was not srunning smoothly! this would sujest some of the gas is getting into the intake!

imo i would spend the money on something else other then the N2O sprayer like a larger intercooler or coating the manifolds. there is loads of things you could do to reduce the inlet temps permintently instead of only in short bursts. but if you are drag racing then they do make scence. but i bet a bag of ice, or even better dry ice, would be just as effective and alot cheaper!

thanks Chris.