Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo RS at the BMW AutoCross event

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by plokivos
"FOr less cabbage I can build a GS300 w/ 2JZ-GTE swap making 600-700 wheel horse power. YOu catch my drift? "

what year gs300? 2jz GE and GTE(supra engine) isn't the same...

I think we're talking about driving in track. I don't think Gs300 or Supra is a good track car with that much horsepower... Maybe a drift car. Everyone knows that Supra don't handle well.

Why are you so angry? M3 SMG shifts faster than any manual shifter out there... it's a good car. I would drive that if I had the money to buy one. $50K+ is a lot of money for track racing tho.

I don't know why people hate M3's so much. There are few drivers out there who gets m3 just for the status symbol, but this guy is obviously tracking with his, so he's not one of those snobby old people or daddy's boy.

I like the M3. It's technically proficient and built to last. I mean, I still see people driving the E36 and generation before that one.
Yheasss. I said swap and I meant swap (2jz-gte). Look at the IS 300's doing this...
For the record, the E46 M3 is a great/superb/wonderful car. Especially my buddies (6sp, SS exhaust, UUC short shift kit) version... I never bashed the M3, I simply deflated the overembellished "good-will" associated with this car, and it's autocross abilities v/s a "front" LSD Evo.

Hear me now and believe me later: an evo with "front" LSD will "smoke" the M3 in autocross. But its a free country so exercise your 1st Amendment rights.

Just so everybody's panties loosen a bit: I'm not a "Kraut Hater," I own a 1) 2003 MB ML 350 Inspiration, and 2) 1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 4cyl - it's' Supercharged", has a short shift kit, custom panel for boost guage, Dinan CAI, SS exhaust... the list goes on.

jason:

do me a favor and when you get your RS, challenge KJ to a run in between the cones, and see how much he values his pink slip.

Shaitiger:

see comment after US flag.

1.8T

he chose the wrong "pill" (see Matrix) I'm kidding...

YOu guys are funny...

4-BNGR
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 bngr...evo has better brakes???? and m3 is a status symbol? and im 18 years old? so u think im just trying to floss? y would i chose my ///M with the 18's(front and rear with different size, offset tires)255's michelin pilot sports
my friend has a pretty tuned evo, and i know he'll beat me
i would love to give u a run for the money stock to stock
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

DARN, YOU ARE 18 AND ROLLING IN A E46 M3? That is proverbial fatness
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:16 PM

when I was 18 I only had a crappy Corolla :P

Congrats u lucky bastid, drive safe.

KJ
karljay.com/cars
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by typeR430
4 bngr...evo has better brakes???? and m3 is a status symbol? and im 18 years old? so u think im just trying to floss? y would i chose my ///M with the 18's(front and rear with different size, offset tires)255's michelin pilot sports
my friend has a pretty tuned evo, and i know he'll beat me
i would love to give u a run for the money stock to stock

I'm completely lost on what you're saying in the first two lines.
The third line, I can't decide if "pretty" is modifying Evo- as in pretty evo, or modifying tuned - the implication being that your friends evo is "highly modified," I think.

Giving me a run for the money would involve you having to make a 38 hour car trip And when I get a "stock evo w/ front LSD, i.e. RS model" I'll give you a PM.

But for now lets race on paper:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...tsu/index.html

The Evo RS wins in the 0-60 by 0.3 seconds. And the 1/4 mile by 0.1 seconds.
In the autocross, refer to prior post
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wait, where is the american flag come in between a German car and Japanese car?
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

heh, yea im 18 but i work full time at Puente HIlls mitsu. i almost set myself up a deal on an evo but we've had the M3 at home since 01(we were on waiting list) i took over half the payments...my family basically bribed me by letting me pay for the ///m3 because i came home one day with a suzuki gixxer(i live with a doctor)

racing on paper doesn't count hehe
everything i've read for the bimmer so far says 0-40 in 4.8 and 1/4ET at 13.3(numbers get even lower with the smg)
i don't think the numbers on the RS are correct, thats almost the same speed as a dodge viper, come on now
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeh, dodge viper sucks. come on now.

well, Viper is made for high end really. That v10 is really for making the car propell over 170mph+.

I think pretty much anything that boosts 19psi could go around that area of performance number. you do sacrifies the low lag and highway speed (0-100mph) by having a such a small engine tho (4cylinder)
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

LOL im not saying th eviper sucks, im saying that the viper is so fast, the RS isnt as fast as it, but hes saying the RS does 4.4 which is too fast, its almost viper speed
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

There are several sources that list the RS's 0-60 in that range
Old Jul 20, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

u cant believe every magazine, but most of them are right

ive mainly seen that 4.4 number for the evo MR, not the RS
the same magazine i have at work says 4.4 for the RS and 5.0 for the ///M3(ive never seen the 0-60 on an m3 thats not under 5 seconds)
ohh and get this...it says s2000 0-60 is 6.2 sec LOL!
and ive seen a magazine say rsx type S do 0-60 in 6.2 also...thats y im not really into that stuff

Last edited by typeR430; Jul 20, 2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

i'm not saying just one or even 3 particular sources, I'm saying several as in most. Look it up anywhere, RS 0-60 is listed in that range (note that I said range and didn't specify an exact time). I agree, you can't trust all magazines, but when you have the majority of these sources giving information within a certain range, you have to believe there's some credibility to that number and believe that the actual number couldn't be THAT far off.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by typeR430
u cant believe every magazine, but most of them are right

ive mainly seen that 4.4 number for the evo MR, not the RS
the same magazine i have at work says 4.4 for the RS and 5.0 for the ///M3(ive never seen the 0-60 on an m3 thats not under 5 seconds)
ohh and get this...it says s2000 0-60 is 6.2 sec LOL!
and ive seen a magazine say rsx type S do 0-60 in 6.2 also...thats y im not really into that stuff
Hmm... if anything, the RS's 0-60 time is faster than the MRs... Im too lazy to look for those gear ratio charts, but the 6 speed on the MR does not help acceleration (considering u'll barely be through with the 2nd gear from a 0-60mph run). Yea. the MR is getting a lightweight aluminum roof, but it is still a "luxury evo" with all the powered windows/mirrors, not to mention HIDs.. Im willing to bet that the RS is still lighter than the MR...

the MR is a better track car than the regular EVO VIII
both regular MR's and EVO VIII's should beat the M3 SMG in 0 to 60 as well as quarter mile
However, the M3 offers a lot more prestige, and its RWD configuration is "more fun" to drive; with the speed governer removed, it will smoke EVOs stock vs stock
funny how you've mentioned the Viper and agreed that it is fast.... I guess my poi nt is that, shoot, these cars are so different you cant really compare them... but hey.. if you ask me which has the most "bang for the buck", check it out... EVO's are $20,000 less expensive than M3's, and it'll beat the M3 in every racing aspect at speed lower than 120mph... the Viper is "only" $10,000 more than the M3, and will smoke it at top end, no question about it.... do you see where i am going with this? Well if you dont, I'll spell it out for ya At a performance point of view, the M3 is not worth the money; but with the prestige/euro interior/resale value factors also taken into consideration, then i guess some people could say it is a "worthy" car

Have u driven E30 and E36 M3's? probably not, since ure 18... I have, and I'll take one of those over the E46's any day hehe... power is not everything

Last edited by evo sky; Jul 20, 2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

e30 M3 Evolution III is one of sweetest rides