Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I need some financing advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait until a couple of months before graduation.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by SpecVSpeed
I was absolutely in love with this car and couldnt stop thinking about it.
In the end I knew this car would make so happy, I knew it was worth buying.
this is exactly how i feel, i have been viewing this forum for months and try to pick up every magazine that even mentions the evo. I love this car, even my girlfriend jokes that i'd rather have the car than her. don't tell her but its probably true.
Waiting another 4 years seems like forever. But i need to wait a few more at least, so we'll see then. If i can keep a job 20 hours a week or something during school, i think it'd be realistic. I am willing to dish out 300 a month in payments for this car.

i appreciate all of the opinions you all have shared, they are helping me a lot to really think about this.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:39 PM

$300 a month will not get you an Evo unless you put down a large downpayment (> $12,500). I put about 4K down and I pay over $500 a month.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spitfire304
I am willing to dish out 300 a month in payments for this car.
What about the other $150 a month in basic maintenance? What about the $150 a month for insurance? I would imagine you'll ride on your parent's policy but still, it ain't gonna be cheap for an 18 year old. The 2004s will likely have higher rates due to the jackholes, young or old, that have wrecked their Evos.

What about if you want to go backpacking in Thailand one summer? How are you going to swing the payments while you're busy swilling Tiger lager in a gogo bar in Bangkok?

My "old dude" advice: Hold off on taking on any more responsibility other than getting through school and getting laid. Wait on buying the Evo. The next four years of your life could be the best last chance you have to screw off while simultaneously preparing for your future. Don't screw it up by taking on a silly debt payment.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Save your money. Buy a beater. take the bus. get an old Z, vr4 or supra.

If you buy a house, equity line money is the cheapest.

A dollar wisely invested pays huge dividends when you're a geezer.

http://www.fool.com/ best free investment advice you'll ever get.....
Old Jul 20, 2004, 06:39 PM

I hear where you are coming from. Thats my biggest concern. I am only going to go through college once, but i will go through multiple cars in my life. If i could find a way to manage car payments/maintenance expense with spending money to have fun with. Then i'd definitely buy an evo. I think it's whether or not i have the flexibility to do both, which will be the determining factor.