Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I need some financing advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some financing advice

Well, i am 18 and going to college next year. I love the evo, i need to have one as soon as i feasibly can. I want to know what some of the younger guys who have bought their cars did. How they went about it with financing or loans and such. I am in no position to buy the car soon. But im thinking ahead 2 maybe 3 years depending on my situation. I know i should, and i will, really wait and take a good look at my financial situation when i do decide to buy the car to make sure that all of the proper maintenance can be performed.

I would also like to get the older guys opinions as well. should i just spend my money in college on beer and crazy spring breaks? Have as much fun as i can, then when i get a job think about the car.

What do you fellas think?
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, if it will be a few years down the road...the evo will change. You may have other options by then. I say go for it...I'm 26 and I don't regret buying this car a bit but it does take some financial planning (BIG down payment) to afford. Being that you are 18, insurance will be a *****. Do what you can...good luck!
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

This is something for after you finish college. The good news is that by then there will be relatively affordable used examples, and hopefully still new ones for sale.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you should get the crappiest car for the college and save up some money for new cars when you graduate.

You should study and drink beer and get laid in college. It's not middleschool anymore. lol
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

If you are going away to college, you will be so busy with the surroundings, school, parties you won't even have time to think about a car. Just make a deal with yourself to at least wait the first year to decide. I can guarantee your outlook on priorities will do a 180.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:05 PM

In order to pay for your car, you will need much money. Do you plan to work 30 or 40 hours a week in order to support your car? How will you pay for school? Will mommy and daddy be so happy paying for school if they know you are working hard for a sports car? Does your school allow undergraduates to even park on campus?

You are better off getting the car when you graduate. The Evo requires a fair amount of upkeep and you want to be able to enjoy the car and school, but not be a slave to the payments.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:36 PM

I'm going to be a senior in college and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! One of my main motivating factors to keep going and not give up is the thought of being able to buy an MR when I graduate . Just keep your current car and when you think of the evo, it'll help you keep going!

Like other previous posts, you'll be spending your money on a lot of other things in college
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or just get the RS version!

Invoice less loyalty of 500 less graduate rebate 500 = around 24.5K before tax and tag (Honda territory)!

Or just save for big downpmt...
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:50 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

My advice is go to Edmunds.com, select the car and then find and play with the payment calculator.
The only problem as a first time buyer will be the APR. You can change the figures and see how much you can afford.
What's nice about Edmunds is that they take all the taxes into account so you see how much you really will be paying. It's not 100% accurate but it's pretty damn close and I'd say you can rely on that number. That's how I did it for my previous 2 cars.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Loan caculator

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/popcalc2.asp#
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey i'm going to college next month also and my advice is get the car later. I regret buying my car so soon. I should have waited until I graduated then maybe I could have gotten something even nicer. Don't get me wrong I love my car to death but I wished I would have gotten a beater as a first car. Yes, my mommie and daddie bought it for me...as a graduation present. Financial wise the car will have high payments. My parents put a 10k down payment and every month is still 370.00. IMO working more than 20 hours weekly will make you suffer in college. Good luck in college. O yea you will also have to worry about burglaries and keyings since you cannot park inside a garage.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 02:20 PM

Like bluebana23 said, you most likely will have to park outside and that can cause problems. A buddy of mine got his side mirror ripped off by a drunk.

Also, depending on your major, making enough money to meet your payment during the week could really become a problem. I'll be a senior majoring in Computer Technology at Purdue University and I barely have enough time to get all my projects/assignments done. The thought of working more than 10 hrs a week is out of the question for me.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 02:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
but then again, I can't save up, I'm a compulsive spender. So i would just buy the car. oh, wait, I did buy that car in college. And I still got drunk and went partying.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:28 PM

I have a another question for you guys, do you think it'd be unreasonable to work 15-20 hours a week? I will be some sort of engineer major, either civil,mechanical or environmental.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:40 PM

I think you are best off evaluating how important the car is to you. I went through the same thing a month ago right before I got my 04 weightless white. Im 21 and my parents thought it was a stupid idea and told me to wait one more year and then after graduation from college I could get one. I was absolutely in love with this car and couldnt stop thinking about it. I didnt want to buy an 03 because of the possibility that it might have bugs in it, but I would go look at them and try to get a test drive.......they would never even let me near the 03s.....if I asked for a test drive they would just laugh and say "yeah right kid."
In the end I knew this car would make so happy, I knew it was worth buying. The few extra ponies and the AYC on the '05 Evo arent worth waiting for IMO, and the MR will be out of my price range.
Once I decided on getting one I had to go to a couple dealerships, and walked out on a couple because I didnt like the way I was being treated. I was in one dealership looking at an 04 weightless white, and a salesman came up and said "beautiful car huh?" I said "sure is". He said "Your parents lookin at getting an evo?" I said no and walked out.........little did he know, I was looking to talk numbers.
Anyways, sorry to rant, I would advise you to just think it over. I knew it was the right decision for me. I have always worked hard and am worknig very hard this summer to save up for car payments to hold me over for next year (my last year of college.) I am a biochemistry major, and have always had a job working clsoe to 20 hours a week. For me, its worth it to budget my time to finsih my degree and be driving the car of my dreams.......I have a big grin painted across my face every time I get in and twist the key. Best of luck in whatever you decide..............

Quick Reply: I need some financing advice