Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

why no framless windows on evo??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2004, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why no framless windows on evo??

anyone have the answer to this. once in a while i drive my brothers WRX and the frameless windows on the front/back doors are one of the coolest things about those cars. it would obviously save weight so why none on the evo?? maybe it wouldnt work with the door dimensions or something. anyone have any idea??
Old Jul 21, 2004, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

If you mean no frame around the window itself, on the top and sides, I've never noticed that on the WRX. But I can tell you why. I used to have a Ford Probe that was pretty quick and it had frameless windows. At high speeds the wind would start howling through the gap between the window and the seal. Didn't happen when it was new, but once the car was broken in anything over about 95 MPH was like having the windows cracked open at the top. Sucked. It's very hard to maintain a proper seal with no frame.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 06:15 AM

I understand what you mean. My friend's WRX didn't have a frame around the window, I thought it was pretty cool too. My friend never mentioned any problems with it though but I could see where one might develop. I have a convertible with a removable hardtop. When the hardtop is on, there's no frames around the window (obviously with a convertible). At speeds > 100 mph there is a whistling noise that develops, gets a little frustrating and when I close the door it doesn't seem to seal quite right. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that the evo has an actual frame around the window. Give it that extra bit of structure.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

yeah im talking about the doors with no frame on top/sides of window. the WRX doesnt make any sounds ive gone 100+ in it. i could maybe see it happening over time. but what is the difference between the seal if it were in the roof of the car or in the frame of the door. same thing to me its the same stuff sealing. just a different spot.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

with a frame, the window just slides right up into its sealing position. WIthout one, the whole door has to swing into position, making it more likely that things don't line up. At least that's how it was with my camaro. I couldn't take it through car washes because water would shoot in around the back edge of the window and soak me

I suppose new weather stripping would've fixed it but I just decided to wash it by hand instead of spending $100 on a new kit. And the windows definitely bowed out a bit at higher speeds. Someone told me it had to do with a difference of pressures, not sure though.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 06:27 AM

The same happen on my friend's 92 stealth..there's like a 1/2 inch gap.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My friend, who owns a WRX, said he wishes his car had framed windows. His windows make a lot of noise when you roll them up and rattle when you shut the door. Frameless windows are also much easier yto break in to also.

Last edited by Event-Horizon; Jul 21, 2004 at 07:02 AM.
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
loud on wrx, glad it's not on evo.
Evolving Member

I liked them in my WRX. I had no problems with mine. They lined up fine and sealed well. I had no nosies even at 125+.

Ben
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

I think Subie is one of the only few who manufactures cars (not counting convertables) with frameless door windows. It's not just the EVO, but all of Mitsu's cars have frames around windows. Most cars do. As you can tell the from some comments above, it would appear having framed windows is better for sealing doors/windows at higher speeds and over the long haul.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Frameless windows =

IMO frameless windows are definitely one of the negatives about the WRX/STi, just feels cheap when you're opening and closing the doors.

l8r)
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:15 AM
Account Disabled

it's sorta sporty. I'm sure it's cheaper to make a framless window then the framed one.

Save money and structural support for side impact.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by kdogg
I think Subie is one of the only few who manufactures cars (not counting convertables) with frameless door windows. It's not just the EVO, but all of Mitsu's cars have frames around windows. Most cars do. As you can tell the from some comments above, it would appear having framed windows is better for sealing doors/windows at higher speeds and over the long haul.
Kdogg, i assume more than only a few use framless windows. I know for example my friends new 04 m3 does not have a frame. Same with the g35 coupe i test drove. They both use this cool mechanism where when the door is shut the window moves up into the frame(i guess) of the car to become sealed. It seems like it would be the same as having a frame on the window itself.

*edit* i also know my old 82 Z didn't have window frames, but i don't know if that carried over to the new Z's or not.

Last edited by spitfire304; Jul 21, 2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:28 AM
Account Disabled

oh yeh, audi tt does that too, but really, quality of built is so different between g35, m3, audi tt with wrx...

Old legends used to not have frames. I think the benz clk have no frame either.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

3 series have had frameless windows for a long time. they also rolldown the window a bit when you open the door, then back up when closed to make a good seal.

nevertheless it's a BIG seal along the top of the window and it will make noise as the car ages-- and many of them also make noise when new! also as others have pointed out, it is easy for thieves to pry the window back far enough to rear the power door lock controls in many cars.