Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DIY Oil Change Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:44 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how do you people get rid of your oil? that's why I'm not doing mine... I know you could bring it to pepboys but do you have to pay them to get rid of it?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plokivos
how do you people get rid of your oil? that's why I'm not doing mine... I know you could bring it to pepboys but do you have to pay them to get rid of it?
Contact your local municipal building office. I would assume EPA has "encouraged" oil disposals services for many cities, towns, townships, etc. Our township has oil and coolant "dumpsters", but they're only open between 9AM and 4PM M-F .
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justchil
Ok after a little more reading it seems the MZ### filter replaced the older MD35600! I also read the newer filter is smaller than the old one bah. Does anyone know the exact model of purolator filter? and do you know if the purolator is bigger than the "new" MZ mitsu filter?

Also found the crush washer for the drain plug (assuming the part # didn't change like the filter)

Crush Washer: MD050317

Does anyone know what vendor I might be able to get these washers from? Maybe they would have the 'older' MD## filters as well..
The newer filter is the same size as the older one. And why is the new one crap? I'd like to see some hard proof of this. Here's a pic of the two side by side.

You can get the crush washer from any dealer. They should have them in stock.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Oil Change Questions-dsc03522.jpg  
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of times where you buy the oil may have a free oil disposal.. I know our "Advanced Auto Parts" will dispose of oil but I really hate going there (they are way understaffed and most don't know thier *** from a hole in the ground)

Also you may try local oil change places.. they will usually dispose for free or a small fee of a few dollars.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

I would also like to see some real proof. You can't really compare a filter just but looking at the pics you uploaded...

If you have time take them apart and examine the filter itself. I read on other posts the filter material of the new one was cheap and didn't work as well. No proof of this that I've seen yet.

I could also get filters from the local dealer but I don't feel like paying 9 dollars when I can order them online for almost half the price. I believe the crush washers come with the newer filter model but I'm not sure about previous model.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

I went with the Puralator Pure One filter for this change.. It's a little thinner and longer than the stock filter. I'm not real sure yet if I'll stick with this or go back to the stock.. going to wait and see what the oil looks like next time I change it.

I ended buying 3 filter wrenches and none fit the stock filter I used a screwdriver and jabbed it in the filter to get it off.. was sort of messy but it worked.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

If you're gonna start changing ur own oil, get that one quick release thing for ur oil drain plug, I forgot what it was called, lemme search. Fumoto valve. http://www.fumotovalve.com That thing is a miracle. Get it, it's worth it. I don't remember which exact one works on our car, but do a search and you'll find it.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Use the K&N oil filter. Buy a 1" socket. You will never go back to another brand after you see how easily you can remove the filter.

Advance Auto Parts should take your used oil for free.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

no point in a quick release.. taking the plug out is super easy.. its the filter that was a *****

i'd probably use k&n if they were under 10 bucks :| i guess i could try one.. i am saving 30 dollars maybe more by not going to the dealer
Old Jul 31, 2004, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

How much do you think the Mitsubishi filter costs?
Old Jul 31, 2004, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

if you get it from the dealer its probably like 20 bucks I go down to napa get one just as good for like 8 bucks change it myself saves bout 30 bucks an oil change If you still have your car under warrentee you may want to keep the receipts and keep a log of when you change it.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kdogg
Contact your local municipal building office. I would assume EPA has "encouraged" oil disposals services for many cities, towns, townships, etc. Our township has oil and coolant "dumpsters", but they're only open between 9AM and 4PM M-F .

EPA requires shops and parts dealers to accept used motor oil.

Actually, I'm not quite sure what catagories of businesses are required to accept used motor oil. But, I know if you buy the oil from a big chain store they will dispose of used oil.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The filter that the auto part stores tell you to get is for the normal lancer which has a 4qt pan versus the EVO oil system which holds 5qt. You need to get the filter for a V6 mitsu. I believe the purolator part number is PL14459. Its the same size as the stock filter that comes on the EVO.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

I use the K&N HP-1008 filter. It's $9 from Advance.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Ahh I've got the wrong filter then There are so many people saying different things on the forums.. i got the PL14610 I believe... So your saying the PL14459 is as wide as the mitsu filter?

I've also heard people are using the K&N HP-1010 but I haven't opened a box to look at the filters.

You can get the mitsu filter for right under 5 bucks plus around 50-1$ for crush washers.

I think I may stick with Purolator if the 14459 is a wider filter.. oil has seemed to stay a lighter color than it has with previous filters.

Last edited by justchil; Aug 1, 2004 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change Questions