Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DIY Oil Change Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2004, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a ***** of a time finding an oil filter wrench that fit the stock filter. I bought this at Sears and worked it awesome. Sears item #00947064000

Old Aug 1, 2004, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^ the best invetion ever! tightens as you twist, and isn't the stock drain plug a magnet? if you replace it, isn't that bad?
Old Aug 1, 2004, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice! I'll have to pick one of those up sometime soon. The stock drain plug isnt magnetic.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Can anyone confirm the Purolator Pure one PL14459 is as wide as the stock filter?

Originally Posted by justchil
Ahh I've got the wrong filter then There are so many people saying different things on the forums.. i got the PL14610 I believe... So your saying the PL14459 is as wide as the mitsu filter?

I've also heard people are using the K&N HP-1010 but I haven't opened a box to look at the filters.

You can get the mitsu filter for right under 5 bucks plus around 50-1$ for crush washers.

I think I may stick with Purolator if the 14459 is a wider filter.. oil has seemed to stay a lighter color than it has with previous filters.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Where can I get a crush washer? Besides from the dealer.

Hi Guys

I really wanted to change my oil today. Already over 1000 miles and I may not have time to again until next weekend. The problem is that the local dealer's parts counter is closed on the weekends

I'm planning to use the K&N HP-1010. BUT I'm still going to need a crush washer! Have any of you guys looked into getting crush washers at the local parts store rather then the dealer? I think someone said they did. Could you tell me what to ask for, size & washer type...

If I take the old one off and bring it in, should someone at autozone or home depot be able to help me find a replacement?

Thanks

...I just don't want to start this and not be able to finish till monday
Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by justchil
Alright will check on a Purolator. I had a celica gt-s that I traded in on the evo too.. the first oil change I had with it they forgot to put the cap back on... Image after driving about 50 miles

He's lucky the screwdriver didn't pierce his sack.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:02 AM

do you have to replace the plug every oil change?
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HREVO
do you have to replace the plug every oil change?

No, just the washer in the plug. Bump for my question about the qasher... Anyone got the info for me?? The guy at advanced auto parts said to take the old one in and he'll help me, still kind of unsure about this though...
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:23 AM

if you really want to make changing your oil easy, try this

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122

i have one...takes about 2-3 minutes to drain the pan + i get more oil than draining through the plug. i just use a little tray to catch what comes out when i take off the filter.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

I have changed my oil twice now myself and have never changed the crush washer and not had any problems. Infact I haven't changed it any of my other cars. Anyone know the purpose of it? I assume it is to seal the drain plug better. Mine doesn't leak at all though. The hardest part I found is getting the filter off. I tried all the different wrenches none of them seemed any good. In future I think I will go with the KanN.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

That thing looks usefull. I'm in a rut now though

For everyone's info, I believe the crush washers are 1/2 inch. They had them at advance auto parts, says 65310 on the box and they're made by motormite.

The new problem though, is the oil filter. As others have said, it doesn't come off easily. And for me not at all. What size oil filter socket do I use? The only size I've found that goes on is 80mm but it's too big and slips!

Also the 17mm open ended socket wrench didn't fit on my MR, I used 19mm but it seemed sligthtly too big.

Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2004, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by The Bear
That thing looks usefull. I'm in a rut now though

For everyone's info, I believe the crush washers are 1/2 inch. They had them at advance auto parts, says 65310 on the box and they're made by motormite.

The new problem though, is the oil filter. As others have said, it doesn't come off easily. And for me not at all. What size oil filter socket do I use? The only size I've found that goes on is 80mm but it's too big and slips!

Also the 17mm open ended socket wrench didn't fit on my MR, I used 19mm but it seemed sligthtly too big.

Thanks
Maybe they use a different plug on the MR. The 17mm fits my 03 evo just fine.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Alright

Finally got the oil changed last night. I purchased this bar thing with a strap on it that you twist with a socket wrench. It actually began to crush the oil filter before it came off!! That thing was on rediculously tight.

Someone should really post the correct oil filter removal tool size. (The socket things they make for oil filters) I'm using the K&N now and don't have to worry about it, but I'll probably change it again at 2500 miles back to OEM before I take it to the dealer for the free maintnance. It'll be nice to avoid any crap they feel like giving me.

As Twan mentioned in another post, the MR has a feed line for the oil temp guage going into the plug so you need to use an open ended wrench. The plug is different too, I believe you actually need an 18mm or 19mm wrench to unscrew it.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one of those oil filter socket tools. It says "A257" and "H" on it. I'm not sure if one of those figures represent the size.

Regardless, I thought getting one of those sockets would make taking off the filter easier. It did, but the filter would get stuck on the socket! I mean stuck! And once you take the filter off, oil gets all over, so getting the filter out of the socket is a super PITA.

That strap tool you mentioned is probably good enough to use to remove your filter. I use a big oil filter plier to remove mine. It crushes the filter pretty good when I take it off.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MEVO
I had a ***** of a time finding an oil filter wrench that fit the stock filter. I bought this at Sears and worked it awesome. Sears item #00947064000

Ooooo Ill have to pick one of those up!

I actually have the orange fiberglass Oil filter wrench you can get at wal mart for a few bucks, thing works like a charm...

Purolator makes good filters (I personally like to use them), and usually Denso filters if i can get em....

Stay away from Fram and Deusche (SP??) they mostly sell them at autozone and Advanced AP.

You technically Should put a new crush washer on your drain plug every oil change, but when I had my WRX sometimes I would use the old crushwasher twice without any leakage. I've actually heard of people never replacing it and not having any problems at all. Or you could get one of those fancy futomoto valves never have to worry about a crush washer (or trying to find your trusty 14mm socket wrench) ever again.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change Questions