Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shipping car overseas?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shipping car overseas?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to move back to the UK and I want to take my EVO with me. I had called Geico to insure my car over there and they gave me a quote back in May. I then went back to UK on family emergency and I just called them now as I got back and they told me that I cannot get insurance unless I am in the military or working for an American company. Before, however, they took all my info and gave me a quote which included shipping, they now say they shouldn't have given me a quote. The website says this:

Whether you're moving abroad
or just going on vacation, GEICO will take the hassle out of getting your
car insured.

I am getting different answers from different agents and I was wondering if there were any other companies who do overseas insurance. BTW, to insure me with an english company, I would have to pay over 7 grand a year and thats ridiculous when Geico quoted me 210$/month before.

thanks all!
Raj
Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Why are you trying to avoid a UK based insurer? I would think it would be more cost effective to cancel your policy in the US when the car rolls onto the ship. Then go to a local insurer once the car hits the dirt in the UK.

As for getting the car to the UK....

Call Phoenix Cagro. I shipped my car from the UK to the US using them. I have had dozens of friends do the same. They also do shipping from US back to the UK. They are friendly, careful and not too expensive.

If you are worried about how the car will be insured while in transit....and that is why you are trying to find a US based insurer, keep reading. The insurance you need on your car while it is in transit is not the normal automotive insurance you have to drive on the roads in the US. You need to get shipping insurance. It'll pretty much cover you for damage at the port or on the ship...or if the ship sinks. The coverages on your Geico automotive insurance policy don't cover this. But any good cargo company can provide you with a policy.

Phoenix Cargo UK
Unit 11
Ashford Industrial Estate
Shield Road
Ashford - Middlesex
TW15 1AU - England
Tel:- 01425 673336 Fax: 01425 673391
e-mail: sales@phoenix-cargo.com
Web: www.phoenix-cargo.com

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Jul 26, 2004 at 08:17 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:22 AM

thanks for the info...I am asking for a quote now. The problem is getting an insurance policy while in the UK. I am 21 years old and I have 5 years no claims through Geico, but in England I have to start from scratch and with such a car as an evo, the insurance is 7 grand a year and thats pounds not dollars. They just won't insure me. Also, I could go to england and buy a car but they have different classes of insurance and I only qualify for a 1.1 to like a 1.3 litre car with my american license. im stuck
Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

That does suck. I guess thats why you don't see many Evo's with L-plates in the UK!

I would imagine that, even when getting insured in the UK through a US based company, the company will have to insure you according to the UK law. So, if you can't get insurance in the UK on an Evo yet, you might not be able to get insured through a US company operating in the UK either.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

sell your evo here and buy a "real" evo in UK. Like evo mr fq320.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 09:30 AM

i wish i could do that moviebumm, but i dont have 60k to spare and once again, stupid english insurance wont insure me on it anyways.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 09:39 AM

ok well i gotta sell the evo if anyone interested. Im looking to get 26K for it. It has 8000 miles, Turbo XS UTEC, Turbo XS BOV, aPEX-i gTI spec catback, and autometer boost gauge. Anyone interested please lemme know.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Sell your Evo
Old Jul 26, 2004, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

This is not the for sale/wanted forum. If the guy is selling parts from his car, he'll post em for sale. If you want to know if he will consider selling you something off his car, PM him. SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Jul 27, 2004 at 09:46 AM.