Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Autometer Boost Guage Heads

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2004 | 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Autometer Boost Guage Heads

Of all of you who have this guage...how do you like it? and how accurate among the others do you find it?

Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

It depends which autometer boost gauge you're talking about, I can think of 20 different autometer boost gauges off the top of my head... ultralite vac/boost mechanical, ultralite boost mechanical, ultralite low boost mechanical, ultralite vac/boost electrical, phantom vac/boost mechanical, phantom vac/boost electric, pro-comp vac/boost mechanical, pro-comp boost mechanical, cobalt vac/boost electrical, lunar vac/boost electrical, carbon fiber vac/boost, sport comp vac/boost mechanical, c2 vac/boost electrical... the list goes on and on...

granted many of autometer's gauges use the same guts in different housings to make you think you're getting something special, but there are definate differences between the sport comp crap and the ultra-lite line.

I personally have an Ultra-lite mechanical vac/boost gauge and am pretty happy with it. for the price ~$50 you can't beat it.

- Steve
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Love my autometers.. they are accurate and priced right. No complaints at all. I have the CF series.
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

I have their Phantom mechanical guage to be installed, nice and simple.\

But, they did'nt include the "T" adapter and 1/8" fitting adapter that are required to splitt the FPR line for boost measurement!!!

Now, I have to hunt these down!
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

you idealy want to get a female 1/8 pipe thread to vacuum hose barb fitting for the back of the gauge so youcan use regular vacuum line and don't have to use the stupid plastic line autometer gives you.
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 02:27 PM
EvoM Administrator

I have an Autometer mech boost gauge that I bought from a local shop on my car and I hate it. It never zeroes out when the car is off, makes noise, and isn't totally accurate at boost beyond 20psi according to what the dyno read for boost. I had an Omori in my WRX, and it was super accurate. An Omori that matches the Evo dash will be one of my next purchases for the car.
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

just bought a autometer boost guage (sport comp) but its being installed tomarrow!
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 03:03 PM

here is my set up using autometer gauges(boot,a/f, and oil pressure)

Old Jul 26, 2004 | 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMotorsport
you idealy want to get a female 1/8 pipe thread to vacuum hose barb fitting for the back of the gauge so youcan use regular vacuum line and don't have to use the stupid plastic line autometer gives you.
So, where can pick these parts up?

- femal 1/8 pipe thread
- vacuum hose barb

thx
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

I have had the carbon fiber boost gauge for about 7 months/10,000 or so miles. About two weeks ago the needle fell off. So I just purchased the Defi BF series hopefully won't have any problems.
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

The things I don't like about the autometer boost gauges are the nylon tube that comes w/ the gauge and the backlighting. The gauge only lights up around the edges and not through the gauge face. It's good value, but doesn't look very good at night.
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 08:55 PM

EVOlmike, nice gauge pod may i ask where you got it?
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

i had 2, never zero'd out tried to fix it, broke it... bought another, the stupid plastic line kept breaking at the fittings... used just a nipple on the back of the gauge, never read right for some reason... the OEM gauge works much better for me, even with it's tiny tiny stature...
Old Jul 26, 2004 | 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tofurky
i had 2, never zero'd out tried to fix it, broke it... bought another, the stupid plastic line kept breaking at the fittings... used just a nipple on the back of the gauge, never read right for some reason... the OEM gauge works much better for me, even with it's tiny tiny stature...
The plastic line never broke on the one I installed on my friends DSM, I heard if it breaks that means your tighting it too much.
Old Jul 27, 2004 | 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

I've had my auto meter sport comp. boost gauge for over 5 years (3 yrs with an integra boosting 10-12 psi) 2 yrs with a wrx and now the evo. No problems here.

Quick Reply: Autometer Boost Guage Heads