Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Factory meter kit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory meter kit

Hey, I was thinking about getting the factory meter kit installed. Do you guys know if those guages have lights? Basically I don't want to get guages if they don't light up with the regular interior lights. I would appreciate it if someone who has the kit or knows about can let me know. Also, does anyone know if it's hard to see these guages, since they get located so low on the console? Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Get em to move the radio down, and put the gauges in the upper DIN.

BUT, that guage package is pretty useless. Read up on it before you spend the money.

Last edited by Scottybob; Jul 29, 2004 at 05:56 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

They light up with the stock lights. But they light up with a ugly white backlight like the cheap gauges you buy at autozone. I had them and took them out and replaced them with a defi d series and a craighardy pod. Looks much better and is more accurate.

Ben
Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:19 PM

Yes, they are lit. Put them in the upper DIN, radio in lower. I have them and like them. More factory looking than most aftermarket gauges.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Hit up 42draftdesigns.com.....I worked with them to make a custom EVO gauge kit with a CNC machined aluminum plate and 3 nice VDO gauges...you can pick just about any color backlight. They are LED backlight and not cheap little gel coated light bulbs. I love them and the price is out of this world. A ton cheaper than the factory kit...with better stuff. here's a crappy pic from a camera phone in my car.

Goodluck!
Attached Thumbnails Factory meter kit-evodash.jpg  
Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Note: I now have blue backlight.

I believe the color available are: Green, Blue, White. Red, Yellow, and uuhhh...well i think that's it, but I could be mistaken. They also sell some hyper blue that is super bright i guess....brb car alarm is going off
Old Jul 28, 2004, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. I think I will stick with the factory one. But I will definitely look into moving it up before I actually get it.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Factory boost guage is in bar and not PSI, which I didn't notice until they were in.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

I second the 42 Daft Designs gauge package. They will be way cheaper then the factory option, give you lighting that matches, gauges that are useful and are a regular gauge size. They are now offering packages for the Evo, http://www.42draftdesigns.com/lancer.htm

The pics on their sight are my car, I think the setup is awesome.

Last edited by bullfrg; Jul 31, 2004 at 08:22 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

nice setup...probably what I will go with. I was going to go with a pillar but I think that design looks real clean and the gauge is in PSI. I'm not the real technical type nor do I have alot of time....how easy is install or is this something I could get the dealer to install.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Autometer makes a damn fine gauge too. I have an Autometer carbon fiber boost gauge with a Buschur Racing mount which mounts it right on the steering column. The nice thing about the Autometer gauge is that it comes with light bulb condoms to make it light up red to match.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the Factory ones with my EVO... they are ok... the BAR thing kinda pisses me off.. i thought the Gauges would be in PSI... but good think my neighbor has a AWD 90's celica and it's a turbo etc etc so he showed me how to read the BAR meter... but i like the radio at the top just personal preference... the gauges are i think better at the top... but i'm not always looking at them so i want my radio there.. PLUS on the track you need to have your eyes on the road not the gauges
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:53 AM

That 42draft design kit looks awesome, and the price is fantastic. Did it come with the radio relocation kit? How difficult is the installation?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

It did not come with the relocation kit, I got it online for $58. Even with that the whole kit was way cheaper then most other solutions.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

How difficult is it to install the 42 Daft Design guages? And how much, including the relocation? My main concern is finding a place out in SoCal that can do the job. I guess RRE might be able, but it's a pain to go out there and drop the car off during the week.

Quick Reply: Factory meter kit