Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP!! Hydrolocked

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2004, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is how I understand it.

Pistons do a great job of compressing air. That is what they are designed to do. But they do a horrible job at compressing water. So as the piston moves through it's compression cycle, the pressure builds but the water does not compress. So that water then escapes through the path of least resistance. That path is usually around the edges of the piston. This breaks/shatters the rings...and that loose metal floating around under the pistons wreaks havoc.

SC~

SC~
Old Jul 29, 2004, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Man so many horror stories about our cars but I still love it...

I hope you get that fixed by either the dealer or insruance at their own cost not yours... good luck!
Old Jul 29, 2004, 07:53 PM
Account Disabled

What usually happens when a engine hydrolocks due to water is the connecting rods bend,
because we all know that water is not compressable in an automotive engine combustion chamber.When the water stops the engine from rotating and bends the connecting rods,there is no telling what other damage was done to crank,pistons,ect.... The dealer will
recommend a "short block" and repair any damage to cylinder head (ie;bent valves.)As far as pistons being damaged by the h2o,possibly,but more so the rods.Hope someone other than you pays for this,because it will be costly.Good luck
Old Jul 29, 2004, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

If the engine was truely hydrolocked the insurance has got to cover it. Its like a flooded car. Push to get a new short block. I bet you could end up with the old parts. A good block and crank sounds like the start of a good project to me
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

this is why you pay a premium for insurance. like everyone said, don t lean on Mitsu- they are at no fault, but this is why you pay your insurance every month.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Serge03
this is why you pay a premium for insurance. like everyone said, don t lean on Mitsu- they are at no fault, but this is why you pay your insurance every month.
You're 100% right that it is an insurance issue, we used to have the same problem with Toyotas at our other store. When we had monsoon storms they would suck water into the block. Unfortunately the water would in many cases blow a hole through the side of the block. Nothing like seeing a car with a 2inch hole in the side of the block. Toyota would not cover the motor in 99% of the cases but the insurance companies did after a little argument or too.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 07:06 AM

All is good....just got off the phone with the insurance and are sending an adjuster....just have to wait what the adjuster says...
Old Jul 30, 2004, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

ALLRIGHT !! Let an experinced guy get u thru this.. been there done that. Its not dealers liability. Its INSURANCE. If you have full coverage on the evo, then insurance will consider this as FLOOD damage. They'll pay the entire amount. I hope you know ur dealers service chaps cuz they are the best HELP in these times. (my bill was $9000) You can see the state my car was in @ www.cardomain.com/id/prithwi .
I was mad pally with the service chaps, and they met the adjuster, and made sure he REPLACED everything that even LOOOKED damaged. It takes about 3weeks as these dealers are busy, so be patient. I'd recommend maywood mitsu's head tech, he did a BRILLIANT job on my car. But then again there are lots of good DSM techs out there.

Also One thing u may consider is getting the car towed to turbo trix and have them rebuild your motor. I think i'll be CHEAPER, AND also u can throw in some goddies in the bill.

Here's wht i think you should do. Keep the car at your dealer till the insurance adjuster give u an estimate. Then get it towed to turbotrix and have em put in **** LOADS of goodies for the price the dealer gave you.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

The HORROR !
Old Jul 30, 2004, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

tHANKS Ray for posting
Old Jul 30, 2004, 07:50 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
8 grand for repair? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy another engine?
Old Jul 30, 2004, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
If your engine grenaded because it injested water during a rain storm, your insurance should cover this. This is a weather related event. Not an event that occurred due to a problem with the car.
EXACTLY! Your insurance should pay for it, no question...if they give you any ****, get a lawyer and lean on them...
Old Jul 30, 2004, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

That makes me angry. Its so unfortuante that something like this happens and you did absolutely nothing wrong to break your car. Its not like you took a pitcher of water and poured it into the intake to see what happens.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 08:50 AM
Account Disabled

I took my oz thru a few puddles last spring, where other cars had gotten stuck... suv were trudging thru with no problem, but cars were having a hell of a time getting across the road that had flooded from so much rain from a close by river. People were amazed the OZ even made it 1/2 way thru. Let me tell u it held up like a submarine... IDK for sure how high the water was... but my friend says that it reached the bottom of the door. The only thing i noticed was that when i got out of my car. some water was in the little Scuff plate area...
Old Jul 30, 2004, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Can we say stroker kit and turbo upgrade?

Quick Reply: HELP!! Hydrolocked