Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP!! Hydrolocked

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2004, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!! Hydrolocked

HELP ME!! Driving in my FULLY STOCK EVO the other day in a torrential downpour and went through a puddle of water. Come out fine but then....engine stalled. Did not think it was a bid deal, ditrubutor cap might of been wet...so got it towed to the dealership just to make sure....

got the bad news today...need to rebuild the whole block...pistons destroyed ok fine more bad news...not covered under warranty...ok fine call insurance....insurance considers this a manufacture defect for a new car they wont cover it.... what the hell...pay so much for the car and pay so much for insurance and nothing....

I am screwed...

i dont even know how the water got in the engine....

anybody have the same problem or know someone with any car!!!

Very confused, very frustrated, and very angry evo owner
Old Jul 29, 2004, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

wow that really sucks... can you tell your insurance company to fight it out with mitsu?.. because mitsu is saying they dont cover under warranty and its not the manufactuers fault... but your insurance says it is the manufactuers fault.. so its mitsu's word against your insurance's..

yea i know both of them simply dont want to take responsibility... they all suck. insurance companies are the biggest joke.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 02:40 PM

That sucks!

Have your insurance company fight it out with mitsu... one of them needs to take responsibility, or why would we pay for a warrenty (if you had to) and insurance ...
Old Jul 29, 2004, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

tell the dealer that it is covered under warrenty...your car is stock...there is no reason it shouldn't be covered....that is what a warrenty is there for.

you could always try taking it to another dealer.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 02:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how big was the puddle? Cause me and another evo went through about dozen puddle of water that came upto half of our tires and we're doing fine.

It was the big rain here in atlanta. We would splash the puddle up to about 15ft up in the air whenever we went through it.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds unusual for just rain fall. But if it is truly hydrolocked then it is an insurance issue. Get you dealer to write that your engine was indeed hydrolocked, if necessary get the factory rep to certify it and go back to your insurance. If they don't play, get legal advice and start leaning on your insurance.

FYI a friend of mine hydrolocked his Diesel engine on his off-road truck while fording a river. There was an initial argument about whether crossing a river was a covered event but as it was an off-road vehicle the insurer eventually paid out.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds more like an Insurance claim than a warranty claim to me. Could it be considered "Act of God" or something like that?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

damn, Its funny that i hear more stories about stock intakes hydrolocking than aftermarket 1s.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Ok.. ima help you.. good thing I saw this post:

1. Who is your dealer?
2. What did they say?
3. This also happened to Ray (Earthman) who is in our club - Evo-Ny Crew (www.evo-ny.com) <--- post on here and he will tell you what to do.

Ray's story was he was driving in the rain.. he went through a puddle because a car cut him off. His car did the same. The good this is that THEY DID warranty his car. His dealer is Maywood on rt. 17. You can read the WHOLE threads here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86296 .. and more pics: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86746

You can contact me any time if you need more help. You can PM me.

Good Luck,

Joel
Old Jul 29, 2004, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

i have the DIY air scoop and drove through a deeply flooded part of the road outside my work the other day (about 1/2 way up my tires). i was doing just fine untill a di*k in an SUV went flying past me, covering my ENTIRE font-end in water. i got water in my intake: water soaked my air filter and got into my engine. i was stuck idling by the side of the road for about 20 minutes while the engine worked all the water out of itself. every time i tried to give it gas, it bogged and then stalled. but after i let it sit at idle, it began to idle right and then drive just fine.

guess i got lucky - but it really makes me hate SUV's even more. just because he can make it through a flooded street fast, doesn't mean he has the right to ignore all of us who can't.

and it also made me think: the DIY scoop probably helped guide water right up to the stock "scoop" - but what if i had just taken the stock "scoop" off before i tried to ford the water? the water would probably not have been able to reach the intake box. what do you guys think?

p.s. my headlights also fogged up on the inside. sucked, but i ended up taking them apart and blacking them out - so all turned out well. but i can't believe the factory sealed housings gained condensation.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

If your engine grenaded because it injested water during a rain storm, your insurance should cover this. This is a weather related event. Not an event that occurred due to a problem with the car.

Guys with CAI's installed on their Integra Type R's used to run into this problem once in a while. Most times it was the insurance company that picked up the tab....

Call back your insurance company and file a claim. Make sure you clearly indicate with them that the engine damage was caused by a weather event. Your car took on water as you were driving around in a severe storm.

I think they refused your claim before because the cust service rep likely doesn't know what hydrolock is.....muchless what caused it.

SC~
Old Jul 29, 2004, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

In earthman's case - Im 95% sure that insurance covered it. I forgot if it was that or if it was warrantied.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 04:02 PM

thanks for the quick responses....

feeling a little better....

i'll try my insurance again...
Old Jul 29, 2004, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Questions?

How did the pistons 'actually' get distroyed?

This whole "pistons are shot" from the dealer really sounds fishy.

jcnel.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Don't let insurance screw you. They are the ones who cover your car and what you pay for. My advice, get an attorney to threaten the insurance company. This would be the same thing as your car being flooded or getting caught in a flash flood storm and your car was damaged. If the insurance wants to fight with Mitsubishi for a design flaw, then that's their deal. I'm so sick of big corporations screwing the little guy. After is all said and done, drop them as your insurance company.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Hydrolocked