Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The Countdown Begins!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2002, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, the contest runs until like the end of February. And you're not going to get brownie points with Mitsu for being entry #1 either...

Did anyone happen to notice if there was a mailing address in the official rules? If you were really dedicated you'd already have sent an entry to the sweepstakes via UPS or FedEx so that it shows up right on 10/15.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Seems like took the site down...
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:10 AM

finally.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do realize that Evo VII production is over with the last run of RS-IIs. I believe they built close to 12000 of them. This is a lot for an Evo model. The US will get an Evo VIII based car.

Erik

Originally posted by zstryder
Hi all,

Been a lurker on these boards for about a year now, first post here. Anyway, I took a look at the Evo site, and I must say it looks promising! And well, as long as the car comes over intact as can be, I don't mind losing the number on the car, and I'm sure you can always find some place to order those things anyway.

On a more important note, however - everybody's been saying "Oh, it just says Evo and not EvoIII", has anybody noticed that the title bar DOES say "Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII"?? I don't know about you, but personally I find that a bit comforting because I haven't exactly, how shall we say, embraced the new looks of the VIII.

Anybody else notice this? Perhaps its a glint of hope for the EvoVII, or just a really mean trick by Mitsu!
Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

I was told today by a dealer that we are getting the VII, and before anyone starts gettin on my ****, I know dealers know jack. He even admitted Mitsu is keeping this one under wraps. He informed me that Mitsu only gives dealers about a months heads up, so they might not even know until December. This is what I was told though, just thought Id add the info.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<cynical>

For those that remember, does this all remind you of when Subaru announced the WRX here in the states? Remember that the WRX site http://www.imprezawrx.com/wrx.htm also was “Hacked” into before it became public.

I use the word hacked because it was described that way in some interviews later with the SOA public relations wonk. It is now regarded as a publicity stunt.

I have nothing against using all the avenues available to get exposure for the US Evo. I hope it is a huge hit. But damn if their advertising folks are just going to copy Subaru’s, admittedly brilliant, WRX release strategy then fire them and hire me. The web site is close to a direct lift of the original WRX launch site.

I would tie the release with a special limited version of GT3 with all Evo VIIIs and VIIs on a couple of tracks. Give them away at dealerships to bring people in.

I hope Mitsubishi pulls out all the stops for the release because it could redefine the Mitsu image here in the states and prove the US market will buy performance cars rather than trucks.

Thanks to Subaru for starting the new performance wars.
<cynical/>

Erik
Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Tristar Racing
I was told today by a dealer that we are getting the VII, and before anyone starts gettin on my ****, I know dealers know jack. He even admitted Mitsu is keeping this one under wraps. He informed me that Mitsu only gives dealers about a months heads up, so they might not even know until December. This is what I was told though, just thought Id add the info.
You might not be far from the truth...US Evo sounds like its gonna be EvoVII + EvoVIII Body/Spoiler - Active Diffs.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:05 AM

Angry

"An error occurred while processing your request.
Please contact our site administrator for assistance."

nooooooooooooooooooooo

i couldnt load it......i think took it down already

Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:13 AM

Guys! It's going to be an VIII not a VII. Trust me! I know for a fact! I've seen it! I've sat in it! It's a beautiful car and you'll all see it probably in a month or so. Your going to like it even it is doesn't have all the feature the one in Japan will have. I WILL upload pictures as I get them.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 02:27 PM

Arrow

Yep, I heard they're going to bring over an EVO VIII, not VII.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by itswhatiknow
Guys! It's going to be an VIII not a VII. Trust me! I know for a fact! I've seen it! I've sat in it! It's a beautiful car and you'll all see it probably in a month or so. Your going to like it even it is doesn't have all the feature the one in Japan will have. I WILL upload pictures as I get them.
care to elaborate???????
Old Oct 16, 2002, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

As far as I remember, the next Evo (EvoVIII, duh) was to debut at the next Detroit Auto Show, which isn't until the first or second week of January. Assuming Mitsu sticks to their plan of launching in January (February) it will only be a couple weeks at most for the EvoVIII to gain any publicity before it goes on sale then. I dunno, I personally find that a little hard to believe, and besides, all press releases so far, including the official Evo site, make references to the EvoVII. Even the picture for the Evo raffle contest was a VII, slightly blurred. In fact, the EvoVII has already been touring auto shows, big and small across the country for awhile now. And with all the big car magazines having made previous references to an EvoVII - I'd put my bets on getting a VII rather than a VIII. But of course, this is all speculation at best, like most other info so far on this board - and I don't care what pictures, rumors I'll see or hear - until Mitsubishi tells us straight up "You guys are getting the EvoVIII" and shows us a press release, I'll keep on hoping that we get the VII instead.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:38 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Guys, has already produced every Evo VII they had. Also, their new site displays many Evos from all generations.

My guess is there are no official press shots of the VIII so they used a few VII shots for the hype up site (remember this is to launch earlier than the release of the actual car)... most of which are rally cars. If you look at the "Win an Evo" flash image, you can kind of tell that the blurry yellow Evo pictured has the VIII front end... single hood vent, different front bumper.

Mark
Old Oct 16, 2002, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

whats going on the site still isnt up!
Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by erikgj
...I have nothing against using all the avenues available to get exposure for the US Evo. I hope it is a huge hit. But damn if their advertising folks are just going to copy Subaru’s, admittedly brilliant, WRX release strategy then fire them and hire me. The web site is close to a direct lift of the original WRX launch site.
Well, if the process was proven to be a successful one, why not use it as a base and build from it?

Mr. AWD