Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gauge cluster lights failing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gauge cluster lights failing?

anyone have any problems of gauge lights blowing out? noticed that the left portion of my stock tach is not really lit up any more, seems like the bulb behind it blew. I haven't taken that part of the dash apart yet. Is it a pita?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine did that on the right side a few months ago. the dealer sells the bulbs really cheap. they just took a while to come in. really easy to replace. pm me if you need any help w/ it.
jeremy
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

thanks jerastan, just put in a call to my parts department, will let you know if I need any help, think the only thing that might make this dificult is having to do it with my left hand as my right is broken
Old Aug 2, 2004, 01:46 PM

The only hard thing about replacing the cluster bulbs is not scratching your I/P pad or the painted trim to the left or right of the cluster when taking it out and putting in back in. My dumass found out the hard way
Otherwise very easy.
I would recommend when replacing the bulbs to take off the blue bulb caps for the 3 main bulbs - it will hardly change the color of the gauges at all but will increase the brightness which is desperately needed for daytime dawn/dusk.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 02:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

cool, thanks, so there are blue bulb caps on the bulbs behind the gauges, sounds dumb, will check it all out when I do this.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Bump for this, taking the blue condoms off of the instrument cluster bulbs HELPS IMMENSELY, I recommend everyone do this, makes the red on the gauges stand out like twice as much. On a side note my Evo had white condoms on the larger instrument gauge lights, guess these were installed in the first build evos and changed over to the blue condom ones later.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 08:11 AM

Yep... the right side of the dash gages just blew out (fuel/temp/lancer).

Exactly how do you replace the bulbs?

Should I just ask the dealer to do it?

Thanks,

John
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:55 AM

Who knows what the dealer would charge to replace the bulbs $$$$...
It's pretty easy - you should do it yourself. First, the bezel comes off with 2 screws above the cluster, then there are 3 screws holding in the cluster. Shimmy out the cluster being very careful not to scratch the I/P trim (it may be helpful to unsnap the trim piece that holds the mirror/foglamp switches first), disconnect the 2 connectors, and that's it.
You can do this in about 5 minutes.

Dave
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It is really simple to do the job yourself but I'm sure it's covered under warranty. I would have had my dealer do it for me just to give them some work, friends with everyone there, but my car was not running at the time and I just needed a little project. Plus those little bulbs are a bit pricey considering what they are, I'd get the dealer to do it, if under warranty, just to cover the price of the bulbs.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:43 PM

Does anybody have a part number for these bulbs or can i get them from a 3rd party supplier. My Mitsu dealer does not have them in stock.
How about them LED replacement bulbs? Will they work?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

don't know about third party or led replacement but here is the USDM part# for these bulbs
MR444537
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:36 PM

Would these fit?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Instrument Cluster and Gauge Backlights
Twist-Lock type instrument LED bulbs consist of a T 1 1/2 (#73/74) miniature LED bulb installed in a twist-lock socket base. LEDs have a wide viewing angle.
Available with White Blue Green Red or Amber LED
Overall length: 21mm Extends into cluster: 14mm
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

those "look" very much like they would work, hell for that price I would try them.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Dont get the Leds, check this link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...cluster+lights
Old Sep 22, 2004, 09:44 AM

I am surprised that the bulbs would be covered under warranty - in most cases they are not but if so definitely have the dealer do it for you.
I agree that the LEDs are a bad idea for the cluster - they will give you bright and dark spots in the lighting. Even if they say they are "wide angle" LEDs they are still nowhere near the spread of an incandescent bulb.
Unfotunately, I can't seem to find a source for the bulbs but I'll keep checking...

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster lights failing?