Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lost control in the rain tonight....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2004, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eazyevo
I dont care what tires or type of car you have...just slow down if it starts raining on the road. No need to put yourself, your car and others at risk for a few seconds of fun. Save the high speed rain drifting, racing, etc.. for a race track.
Yeah...I'm gonna have to agree with eazyevo on this one...I tend to drive with "exuberance", but 80-90 MPH around a corner in the wet is insanity...
Old Aug 6, 2004, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RSGUY sorry to hear that. Nice avatar
Old Aug 6, 2004, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

email me i have a stock rim in good condition with a Pirrelli P-Zero Nero on it. Check you rear control arms as well. When I jumped a curve I had to get a new front control arm.
jmchugh99@hotmail.com, I'm out of Nashville TN.
-James
Old Aug 6, 2004, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Bwahahahahha! If I did something like that I would never tell anyone.

Anyway, I've ran the Evo on a road course before in the rain and it was slick as ****. This was on stock Advans...stock everything. Of course I faired better then the others out there being able to get back on the gas sooner, but AWD does NOT give you super cornering powers in the rain.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSGuy
Hey, all....

I messed up tonight. It had been raining all night. I was passing my friend around a turn at around 80 or 90 (I know, stupid) and lost control. My friend said I did 3 and a half complete 360's. Remember, this was at serious speed. I wish I had it on video tape. My friend said it was the craziest thing he had ever seen. Anyways, I hit the curb *** first. I was about 2 inches away from hitting a fire hydrant. I busted 2 tires and bent a rim. That's the only damage I can see. I'm gonna have it towed tommorow. Does anybody have a wheel and a couple tires for sale? Thanks

Fred
This makes me laugh, people think since the car is AWD they are invincible. Hell you are lucky you didn't have more damage. It's comon sense in the rain the oil from the tar comes up to the top and makes it slippery like a ****. Drive with some common sense and these things won't happen.

Peace,
Old Aug 6, 2004, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Im glad your OK man you wernt on your avatar hopefully
Old Aug 6, 2004, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

It is possible to take corners at that speed in the rain, but I only do it when a corner worker tells me it's okay.

Keep it on the track.

So far, I've been to the track 4x in the rain this season and it's a LOT of fun. Evo's have tons of grip with the right tire out there, but simple physics do apply. I suggest that you all do a winter driving school or rally driving school. It really improves your reflexes when the car does get out of shape and you know what to do before you have to think about it.

Joe
Old Aug 6, 2004, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Did you hop out of the car and say in your best PEEWEE Herman voice "I meant to do that" ?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

im glad your ok. when lost i lost control of my vr4 in the rain i was going about 80 too. but when i hydroplaned i cut off my friend that i was passing, spinning looking at him, then hit the the gaurd rail against my driverside a-pillar, rolling the car on its roof, taking out 50 feet of rail still on my roof, then to top it off there was a huge rock that flipped my car so that i was facing the direction i was going in the first place. when all was done, i opened the door and walked out. my friends and the state trooper that was coming down road said i was in the car for a couple minutes cause i blacked out. only injures where glass cuts and a totaled 3000gt vr4. your lucky thats all that happened to your car!!!
Old Aug 6, 2004, 06:52 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by earl lee
You people kill me. You remind me of the morons here in GA that actually speed up when the rain first starts to come down like they are trying to outrun it. AWD or not, speeding in the rain is dum. Talking a curve at 80 to 90 mph in the rain is moronic.
who does that? I've never seen anyone speed up when it rains here. mUst be down south.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

I know its fun , but I have had a few mishaps..no wrecks though with speeding around turns. I was unfortunate enough to do a full spin around a corner on wet pavement but fortunately stopped perfectly along side the curb. Very strange but lucky no doubt. I have learned that its best to not take chances anymore with yourself, others, or even your baby. (car that is).
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:11 AM

Wink destruction of a god

I work for mitsu dealer. One evening, my service manager and I toke an EVO for driving lessons. He's from the islands down south where he's been rallying awd vehicles for 20 years. Now for the good part: There's a fantastic road in my town that's not long at all, though has many aggressive s turns. Going west is kinda like warming up the tires, headed east on the same road it has long closing radius turns that become very technical due to many extreme dips in the surface. On the few first passes, I was warming the tires and though i know the pass very well, I wanted to get used to the temp of the pavement. As I started digging in more aggressively you really felt the car pushing the grip threshold. My passenger now promted me the push the envelope even more on a very trying portion of a nasty sharp corner riddled with bumps on the apex. Feeling very comfortible at this point, I dove exremely hard into the apex. Half way through, the Evo's suspension couldn't keep up with the uneven surface and began to go into a complete lateral drift. You may be thinking: no problem, allwheel drive right. Well, the corner doesn't have a lot of room for error. So, i have the car in full drift@ about 60mph, countersteering into the slide, then all of a sudden, the tires find full grip, whipping the vehicle into snap drift into the other direction, so here we go again: full countersteer in the other direction, but by this time it's to late. After about three full rotations, with many launches over a reccesed gully at a median we come to halt. Needless to say I thought I was in the sh*ter for sure, though because I was with the manager of all the franchises we own eveything went over very huss-huss. THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh buy the way, New front facia, intercooler, oil cooler, piping underneath, 2 rims, and of course labor. Trust me, you don't want to know how much it cost to replace everything. The moral of the story. DON'T BE AN A**HOLE UNLESS IN CONTROLLED CONDITIONS. One last thing for all the haters out there. Believe u me when I say I've been driving sports cars for time out of mind with many track hours, which makes me very comfortable knowing that sh*t happens from time to time.

Last edited by omnipotent; Aug 6, 2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

next time go a 100mph or more, maybe you will make that full 4th 360
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Re: destruction of a god
...some poor guy bought that raped evo.

As for the original post, I would check your suspension to see if anything else is foobar
Old Aug 6, 2004, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly guys..... Paul Walker didn't have $hit on me last night! Don't worry I DEFINITELY learned my lesson. The laws of physics demand respect and last night I forgot that. Luckily, I escaped with a bent rim and a couple of busted tires. I looked under the car today and couldn't see anything broken/bent. Everything looked fine. I am so lucky.....

Fred