Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lost control in the rain tonight....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
definitely get it checked out by a mechanic. it's tough NOT to damage suspension components when you hit a curb.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo sky
I give props to RSGuy for admitting he lost control in the rain in opposed to drying to drift... while drifting does sound better, awd cars are made to grip, and although possible, drifting in an awd vehicle usually result in slower cornering times... which means that telling people he was trying to drift in an evo would actually sound more stupid... at least he was honest and admits that he should not had tried to turn at 90mph... for that, I really hope that 2 new tires and a new rim is all u have to pay for..
i agree
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:27 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by earl lee
You people kill me. You remind me of the morons here in GA that actually speed up when the rain first starts to come down like they are trying to outrun it. AWD or not, speeding in the rain is dum. Talking a curve at 80 to 90 mph in the rain is moronic.

He stated it was stupid and there is no need for calling him a moron. And I'm also glad you are ok.

Speedlimit..
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Glad you are alright. Still...might want to get it looked at. Minor bends can be unnoticeable. Avatar- Looks like some good.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

I spun out in my 2k maxima 5spd. I was getting on an onramp doing bout 80 when I had to lift throttle due to some unexpected dirt on the road. Well lift throttle in FWD = oversteer and then 3 360 spins. fortunatly I kept it under some control and slid down the striaght without hiting anything.

Carefull when lifting throttle suddenly, especially in an FF
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by omnipotent
I work for mitsu dealer. One evening, my service manager and I toke an EVO for driving lessons. He's from the islands down south where he's been rallying awd vehicles for 20 years. Now for the good part: There's a fantastic road in my town that's not long at all, though has many aggressive s turns. Going west is kinda like warming up the tires, headed east on the same road it has long closing radius turns that become very technical due to many extreme dips in the surface. On the few first passes, I was warming the tires and though i know the pass very well, I wanted to get used to the temp of the pavement. As I started digging in more aggressively you really felt the car pushing the grip threshold. My passenger now promted me the push the envelope even more on a very trying portion of a nasty sharp corner riddled with bumps on the apex. Feeling very comfortible at this point, I dove exremely hard into the apex. Half way through, the Evo's suspension couldn't keep up with the uneven surface and began to go into a complete lateral drift. You may be thinking: no problem, allwheel drive right. Well, the corner doesn't have a lot of room for error. So, i have the car in full drift@ about 60mph, countersteering into the slide, then all of a sudden, the tires find full grip, whipping the vehicle into snap drift into the other direction, so here we go again: full countersteer in the other direction, but by this time it's to late. After about three full rotations, with many launches over a reccesed gully at a median we come to halt. Needless to say I thought I was in the sh*ter for sure, though because I was with the manager of all the franchises we own eveything went over very huss-huss. THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh buy the way, New front facia, intercooler, oil cooler, piping underneath, 2 rims, and of course labor. Trust me, you don't want to know how much it cost to replace everything. The moral of the story. DON'T BE AN A**HOLE UNLESS IN CONTROLLED CONDITIONS. One last thing for all the haters out there. Believe u me when I say I've been driving sports cars for time out of mind with many track hours, which makes me very comfortable knowing that sh*t happens from time to time.
Ok, tell me that was your EVO that you were driving. Or else that's kinda gay that ppl at the dealership take cars on the lots for a joy ride. Nice write up man.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Ohhh, for sure I think there are more than just 2 tires and a rim. Trust me...
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:58 AM
Account Disabled

Thumbs up

lol

Originally Posted by AWDTurbo4
next time go a 100mph or more, maybe you will make that full 4th 360
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

RSGuy... ... your one lucky guy if that is all the damage you got. Look I am all for having fun with the EVO but doing something like that was obviously foolish. I give you props for being honest and recognizing your mistakes . I wish you luck on the repairs.

- Ty
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

you may have bent the axles and bearings.. just get it inspected thoroughly.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by masterevo
Ok, tell me that was your EVO that you were driving. Or else that's kinda gay that ppl at the dealership take cars on the lots for a joy ride. Nice write up man.
You know what's funny...almost every salesperson at every dealership that has evos has personally been in them doing hard acceleration and cornering...and I don't see any EVOs sitting around as demo cars...so yeah, some of us probably have cars that were abused before we got them...then when our clutches or T-case go out at 1,000 miles, it's OUR fault lol...I don't trust car salesmen as far as I can throw them...though it would be fun to throw them...preferably off a cliff one at a time...as they explain to me why exactly they screw with other people's cars...
Old Aug 6, 2004, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
UM WRONG! The stock ADVANS SUCK in the rain pimp....
Yep. I just had my car washed, drove it up to 40 to 50 mph on a curve and it made a 360 degree spin. Broke 2 rims and RR suspension. DO NOT TRUST THOSE ADVANS WHEN WET AND ON COLD TEMP.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
You know what's funny...almost every salesperson at every dealership that has evos has personally been in them doing hard acceleration and cornering...and I don't see any EVOs sitting around as demo cars...so yeah, some of us probably have cars that were abused before we got them...then when our clutches or T-case go out at 1,000 miles, it's OUR fault lol...I don't trust car salesmen as far as I can throw them...though it would be fun to throw them...preferably off a cliff one at a time...as they explain to me why exactly they screw with other people's cars...
Haha ya. I know people at Mitsu dealerships that let their kids take home evos for a couple days at a time. Even here at the Vegas dealership John took his evo in for some wiring, and they took it out for 25 "test" miles.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

ya you must be smoking the good stuff. Theres no way you didn't bend some suspension parts hitting a curb that fast. Way to go... great display of judgement on your part.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ASTROEVO
Yo Thats Awesome Dude....congratulations.....tell Everyone You Were Drifting...sounds Better....
LMAO