Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lost control in the rain tonight....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2004, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RSGuy
Thanks everybody for your input. To other EVO/Bomb-*** Car Drivers, BE CAREFUL IN THE RAIN!!!! AWD DOESN'T MATTER WHEN YOU ARE HYDROPLANING. TAKE IT FROM ME!

Fred
Agreed. The way i look at it, AWD and "sticky" tires improves performance in general, but for the average driver, it could mean that these goodies are giving them too much confidence... think of it this way... I dont know what kind of cars you people have owned before the evo, but I used to own a 97 eclipse gst and a 2001 jetta 1.8t, both came stock with not so impressive goodyear tires. When I am turning a little "too fast", I can actually hear my tires and that would sort of be a hint for me to slow down before I lose control... now, with the advans and awd... people are naturally taking corners in much higher speeds, but if something does go wrong, it is very likely to be devastating ...

RS guy: on a side note, I busted a brand new tire when i only had 900 miles... since new tires are about $230 a piece, I went the cheap route, and found a guy with a tire with 5000 miles on it (he gave it to me for free). The treads on that tire was decent at best... its not really worn out yet, but there is a huge difference compared with my almost brand new tires... after i slapped that used tire on, the car does not balance well... and I had actually skid on the freeway a few times because of the difference in traction at 2 different corners... I dont know which tires are busted on your car, but if possible, try to replace all 4 of them at the same time, it will be much safer... also, if the tires on the left and right are not well balanced, it is possible to cause damage to the differentials

-Brian
Old Aug 8, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the advice, Brian. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Fred
Old Aug 9, 2004, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

were you using your avatar the time?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

AWD does nothing for you when you are hydroplaning!!!!! We are just as screwed as everyone else when this happens, it's like being on ICE. SLOW DOWN my friend! It's not worth it.

My Mom was just in a Hydroplaning accident this weekend driving slowly on the interstate in heavy rain. She is lucky to still be here, the car was deep into the woods by the time she stopped spinning, 1 inch from a huge tree!

Last edited by v8killer; Aug 9, 2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:54 AM
os2
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by g6civcx
1. Never drive when you're emotionally disturbed. I find that I drive best when I am careful but somewhat indifferent.
So very true. I got all my tickets and fender/benders on my way to work in the morning, I was so upset emotionally with the fact that I would spend next 8 hours in front of a monitor
Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
UM WRONG! The stock ADVANS SUCK in the rain pimp....

yeah, and going 80-90 in the rain, when youre not a wrc driver is always a bad idea
Old Aug 9, 2004, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDTurbo4
were you using your avatar the time?

Surprisingly, no. I don't think it would have happened if I were, haha.

Fred