Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

1st gear doesnt like me.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2004, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gear doesnt like me.....

So this morning I am heading off to work, its about 7 am and Ive only driven a couple blocks so my car is still relatively cold. I pull up to a stoplight, wait for the green and then push in the clutch and put her in first (at least thats what I thought) As I start to take my hand off the shifter, while letting out the clutch and giving her a little gas, to my amazement the shifter pops out and whacks my hand. Its like my baby gave me b*tch smack. After a couple seconds of pondering what I had done to **** off my car, I once again depressed the clutch, put it in first and then actually started to move.
I know that our tranny has triple synchros on 1st and 2nd, could it be that the car just wasnt warmed up all the way? I like the feel of our transmission very much, it is very tight and precise.....nothing like this had ever happened before. Sometimes when I shift.....especially lower gears I feel like I can feel each and every synchro working....like while putting it into first it kind of slides into gears in three very fast consecutive jumps. I dont know if I am accurately describing it here.....just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience.
On my old car I swapped the tranny fluid for the redline MT90.....and the results were amazing....much smoother and fluid like shifting. I have read countless posts about people saying to stick with stock fluids, or go with Redline, some people say redline is crap and it will kill the synchros so go with GM synchromesh. Just wondering if anyone has a definitive answer on an excellent tranny fluid that will improve shifts and protect equally if not better than the stock fluid. Thanks for any and all input.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 01:16 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
use GM synchroshift
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

You did not put the car all the way into 1st. When you released the clutch it popped out. No big deal. Be a little more deliberate when the car is cold. I bet you were not paying a lot of attention to the car when it happened, right?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

I had my tranny rebuilt twice, the first it was good. The second time it came out quite different. I was worried the job was done poorly, until I changed to BG synromesh from lancershop.com. Less succeptable to heat change, shifts like butter. Really wild how much better it is now.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

I experienced this when my car was in the "break in" period. It happened twice and never again.
Old Aug 7, 2004, 05:47 PM

If the gear isn't fully engaged, it should pop out. That way it won't chew the teeth apart.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Gears are always meshed, it's the synchros that couple and uncouple them to the input shaft. The dogs on the synchros are what get worn.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

i agree with ru4real. I had an old toyota pickup that would slip out of 2nd gear all the time. I went to 3 different mechanics and the y all told me that my synchos were going bad. So i sold the truck.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GEt a $90 dollar shift kit and SLAm those gears into place