Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

car and driver "evo owners decry warranty rejections."

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2004, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"car and driver" "evo owners decry warranty rejections."

if this is a repost i'm sorry. the new "car and driver" has a whole article on mitsubishi cancelling warranties because of racing and racing results posted on the internet. they also have a nice write up on the rs but thay also have a write up on the vw r32 beating the evo and the sti because they like it better even though it is slower because it rides smoother around town. a bunch of pussies that care more about if they are comfortable then perfomance. i was at a road race in michigan where a brand new r32 was out and he couldn't even keep up with any evo out there let alone my honda buddies who destoyed him. forget a vw and forget "car and driver".

Last edited by wroblewskievo; Aug 6, 2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:06 PM

in the sti vs evo article they had a little while back, they did make a couple jokes about the evo and sti's styling, how it's aimed at the youth market etc... maybe they're just older and like more refined cars than more performance oriented, stripped down cars. how reliable is the r32 supposed to be? wondering about vw build quality
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:40 PM

I prefer the brutal honesty of European automotive journalists (eg. TopGear) to the "Yes men" of American automotive journalism. Everyone knows the R32 isn't competitive against the EVO or STi, so they have to come up with some way to "talk it up"... otherwise they won't get as many press demo VW's in the future.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

The R32 is a different beast than the EVO or STi. Have you seen the interior of an R32? Pimp.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

my friend has an R32... let me tell you something.. it may not be as quick as the evo or sti or handle as nicely.. ( handles great dont' get me wrong but not as good as ours or the sti)... but the exhaust on that thing stock is UNREAL... it is one of the best sounding exhausts i have heard.. and yes its the factory exhaust... my brother has a G35 coupe and this sounds 10x better... and the interior of it well thats just superior to other cars.. but i'm still all evo
Old Aug 7, 2004, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSGuy
The R32 is a different beast than the EVO or STi. Have you seen the interior of an R32? Pimp.
Aside from the seats and guages its just a regular Golf interior with little shiney aluminum stick on parts. That crap aluminum dash kit looks like its begging to become unglued and fall off.
Old Aug 7, 2004, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

More than a few years ago I decided that the American automotive press always says good things about they newest car to deliver on advertising dollars. Wait eight to twelve months and if the car has issues the American press will start talking about them.

In other words I have lost trust in most if not all American automotive publications. The opposite is true for the European / UK publications - they simply don't pull any punches.

My 2 cents...

Originally Posted by Funky
I prefer the brutal honesty of European automotive journalists (eg. TopGear) to the "Yes men" of American automotive journalism. Everyone knows the R32 isn't competitive against the EVO or STi, so they have to come up with some way to "talk it up"... otherwise they won't get as many press demo VW's in the future.
Old Aug 7, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Hot Rod is a good American based automotive publication. They raved about the STi and the EVO RS!! The only thing they complained about was turbo lag (expected from guys who drive beefy V8's with tons of low end torque) and the rear spoiler!! Outside that, the STi actually beat the '04 SVT Cobra (supercharged) in everything including the 1320. They admitted that they liked the STi more, just missed the rumble of the V8...
Old Aug 9, 2004, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

stupid you answered ya own question. Your mad because they like it more than the evo and sti, yet they say its slower and rides smoothly around town. Than you make a comment as it sucks, because its slower than the 2 when C&D clearly point that out

You sir, are an idiot!

Maybe its not always about speed. If speed is your reason, take a hit of speed or crack, ull be running the 1/4 faster than any evo/sTI can drive.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

my dad has the r32...awsome awsome car....vw's are built well and they dont have much warrenty issues as we do....
Old Aug 9, 2004, 05:29 PM

I had a 2003 20th anniversary GTI that had a whole bunch of problems. The day I picked it up the drivers window switch shorted out, they fixed the switch and it failed again. Then the window fell off the regulator and into the door while driving on the expressway. The window they installed (the only one available at the time) was the wrong tint. I had several rattles in the car but the rear deck lid was the worst. Then DSM said the rattle was acceptable and the could do nothing about it. The final straw was when we noticed the paint peeling from around the front upper and lower bumper (of course it was under warranty).

All this happened in the first 5000 miles of owner ship.

I have 6800 miles on my EVO and haven't had one problem.

VW has a whole lot of problems right now (just look at VW and Audi's rank in the intial quality survey) with build quality. 50,000 1.8t's have had all there coil packs replaced alone!
Old Aug 9, 2004, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the R32 is just a young-mans (poor-mans?)S4 - that is all!

IMO
Old Aug 9, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by r32awd
my dad has the r32...awsome awsome car....vw's are built well and they dont have much warrenty issues as we do....
He's the only VW owner that I have heard of that has never had problems. Maybe he should pick out my next car in a few years!!
Old Aug 9, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL VIII
He's the only VW owner that I have heard of that has never had problems. Maybe he should pick out my next car in a few years!!

Yeah - I have several friends with VW's and they are very sometime-ish

Sometimes they're fine, and sometimes they give hell!

Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get a lemmon.

... and often killer expensive to fix.

The R32's interior is excellent though.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by r32awd
LMAO!

That's the understatment of the century.

Window regs, coil packs, seats starting onf fire, flaking wheels, vents that don't work, improperly wired stereos, faulty ecus, and rattles galore are all vw trademarks.

Quick Reply: car and driver "evo owners decry warranty rejections."