Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Six Speed Question...What do other markets think of it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2004, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Six Speed Question...What do other markets think of it?

I know we don't have any here in the US yet, obviously, but I am wondering what the foreign markets that do have them think about the six speed. Anyone know? I've read some comments that it's both weaker (conjectured because of it's similar size to the five speed in the same space) and that it's rubbery.

I'm coming from a WRX with multiple transmission failures and not even 50K miles on the clock...I just don't want to get into another pariah without checking into things first Feel free to hit me with the noob gonzo hammer if I am missing some obvious threads about this in search...
Thanks,
Rob
Old Aug 8, 2004, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

The MR is rumoured to have the 6-speed. In terms of reliability, there may have been some issues with the 6-speed experiencing premature failure as opposed to the rock-solid of the Jap-spec RS 5-speed, however, it shouldn't be a problem as most of us will not be racing the car extensively.

I think it would have more to do with how you maintain the car and how you drive it. I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember to push the clutch down all the way before you shift, and keep it there until you're done shifting. Also, check your gearbox fluid as recommended by the manufacturer.

Also, don't try to shift to a lower gear while going fast, or learn to double clutch. It will save your synchros.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I'm doing that now (re: my trans failures ). To be honest, my wrx (making about 300hp) is fine for me. I really don't want more power, I just want to keep having fun over the next five or so years without having to replace a gearbox each year .

Given what I've seen speculated, I might just go for the regular Evo...I can get leather, and we know the five speed is strong. I'm not sure the markup is worth it for the Al roof, Bilsteins, wheels and six speed. At least not this second
Old Aug 8, 2004, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the 6 is pretty tough. The only problems on either of the manuals used in the Evo 5 or 6 speeds were an output bearing incorrectly preloaded, since fixed. Some units crunched in lower gears either improper technique or damaged syncros.

Many people complained that the 6 did not shift as well as the 5 speed. Also with the strong wide powerband of the Evo that it was not needed. The new MR has made two improvements that I hope the US MR gets. stronger shift forks and steel syncros replacing bronze in the lower gears.

May reviews of the MR have commented on the improved shifting feel.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erikgj
I think the 6 is pretty tough. The only problems on either of the manuals used in the Evo 5 or 6 speeds were an output bearing incorrectly preloaded, since fixed. Some units crunched in lower gears either improper technique or damaged syncros.

Many people complained that the 6 did not shift as well as the 5 speed. Also with the strong wide powerband of the Evo that it was not needed. The new MR has made two improvements that I hope the US MR gets. stronger shift forks and steel syncros replacing bronze in the lower gears.

May reviews of the MR have commented on the improved shifting feel.
Nice - do you have any links for us?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

I have a 7 in Hong Kong. All 8's come standard with 6 speed. Haven't heard anything negative about them. I want one too...

Mitsubishi is tricky/smart. I bet they had the 6 speed when the 7 came out. Released it for the 8 to stir up more interest...
Old Aug 9, 2004, 08:03 AM

I have the 6-speed JDM Evo 8 GSR and have driven a couple of 7 GSRs.

The Evo 7 is a 5-speed while its STI counterpart had a 6-speeder so, I, like many others, thought the only reason Mitsu released the 6-speed was to match the STI's gearbox. Didn't really see the need for the extra cog in either the Evo nor Impreza.

Now, almost 7 months and >5000 miles later, I have to say I wouldn't have my Evo any other way. With the extra gear, the ratios are better spaced out. Sure, you may have to shift a little more often than in a 5-speed, but the acceleration more than makes up for it. Coming out of long sweeping turns, I have had to hold a gear (at almost redline) longer than I would've liked, and that just means in future I'll have to enter same turn in a higher gear. IMO in the 7, 4th is too short while 5th too tall.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the 6-speed provides any greater degree of overdrive for highway cruising...just tighter ratios for roade race work...
Old Aug 9, 2004, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

^^^6th gear has a slightly lower ratio than the old 5th. probably a few hundred rpm's lower at highway speeds. not a huge difference, as you said.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 09:21 AM

Yes, 6th is a slightly lower (numerical) ratio... so cruising you would only be a few hundred rpm lower at most. The ratios are much more nicely spaced. I haven't heard anything about 6-speeds breaking. In 2003 they had a recall on the 6-speeds for a pin on the shift forks that would come loose if not properly assembled, that was fixed by May 2003 production I believe.

Otherwise, the only negative comments I've heard were at lancerregister from someone who drove a used Evo 6-speed and thought the shifting feel was poor. Others responded and thought there must have been a problem with that particular used car, because everyone else was happy with theirs.