Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2004, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it cylinder 4 that has the low compression?
Old Aug 13, 2004, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
Is it cylinder 4 that has the low compression?
Its cylinder 2. Firing order 3.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Questions regarding the Maintenance/repair/modification of your Evo belong in one of the tech forums. I am moving this one to the Engine/turbo/drivetrain forum.

SC~
Old Aug 13, 2004, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
Questions regarding the Maintenance/repair/modification of your Evo belong in one of the tech forums. I am moving this one to the Engine/turbo/drivetrain forum.

SC~
OK thanx!
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by savageevo
put everything back to stock an let the dealership fix it if you can't get it resolved.

People like you screw up my life. You are a moving, walking lie. chris we will all help you in the right away the dealer should be kept away as they wont fix it under warranty even if you put everything back like stock. i know what $3000 is low but many tuners here can work out a payment steps or something like that. I am very sorry to hear about what happend and i was very sad when you told me last night. I truly believe that you were making way more power than what our stock engine can handle and the dyno was eve reading lower than %15. now what we need to know is to 2.2 or 2.3 or staying 2.0 with 9K rpm is the way to go??? any good tuner can help here?

Last edited by Az3ar; Aug 13, 2004 at 04:16 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Here are some pictures of the plugs. The ones that are in the house are the first plugs that went bad. The pictures that were taken in the garage were the second set of plugs. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-p1010003new.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-p1010004new.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-p1010006new.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-p1010007new.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-p1010008new.jpg  

Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

One more pic. Sorry they are not the best
Attached Thumbnails Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-p1010009new.jpg  
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
People like you screw up my left. You are a moving, walking lie. chris we will all help you in the right away the dealer should be kept away as they wont fix it under warranty even if you put everything back like stock. i know what $3000 is low but many tuners here can work out a payment steps or something like that. I am very sorry to hear about what happend and i was very sad when you told me last night. I truly believe that you were making way more power than what our stock engine can handle and the dyno was eve reading lower than %15. now what we need to know is to 2.2 or 2.3 or staying 2.0 with 9K rpm is the way to go??? any good tuner can help here?
Ya man dont worry im not gonna do that. I think that 3K will get me started and if there is allot of damage well then i will have to come up with some more. Anyway im not goint to take it to the dealer i dont want there parts anyway! I know i will get allot of info from you guys thats why i posted. Once you get away from all the BS this forum is great.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

yeah you needed a lot more light or to set the ISO on your camera a lot higher as they're blurry and grainy. but I get the gist with #1, #4, and #6. especially #4 as it's reasonably in focus and the difference between the plug that came out of cylinder 2 is plainly seen.

that type of damage most definitely indicates you will find something nasty when you pull the head. piston crown and ring damage is very likely.

what boost were you running at the time this happened and what octane fuel? and yes, the datalog will probably help your tuner avoid this next time. also, this type of thing is why some tuners tune while on the road in addition to on the dyno.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Is it me or is that plug bone white, meaning you went really lean.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gofaster87
Is it me or is that plug bone white, meaning you went really lean.

I dont think its white. the pic is very bad to tell. Chris are they white?
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:29 PM

Those pictures are horrible.

But anyhow, the more silver flakes (actual pieces of piston) the worse. I can't see crap from those pictures though.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

try backing away from the object a little, I can make out the rings of your finger prints but cant see anything on the plugs
Old Aug 13, 2004, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

OK guys i hate this photo crap can never get it right. Let me know if this is any better. Also how do you post big picture in this post? I can only upload 100kb pix which means i either make the pictures smaller or save them at lower quality. Well if this still isnt good let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-p1010002new.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-p1010004new.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-p1010010new.jpg  
Old Aug 13, 2004, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ColinL
yeah you needed a lot more light or to set the ISO on your camera a lot higher as they're blurry and grainy. but I get the gist with #1, #4, and #6. especially #4 as it's reasonably in focus and the difference between the plug that came out of cylinder 2 is plainly seen.

that type of damage most definitely indicates you will find something nasty when you pull the head. piston crown and ring damage is very likely.

what boost were you running at the time this happened and what octane fuel? and yes, the datalog will probably help your tuner avoid this next time. also, this type of thing is why some tuners tune while on the road in addition to on the dyno.
Well honestly i was being stupid. The map was for 114 octane and i was running 5 gallons 114 and 5 gallons 93. So i take credit for being a idiot there. I was running 29psi which it what the map is set for straight C14. The 93 octane map is set to 20psi. I sent the log to my tuiner and he said everything looks fine looks like i reved up a couple times and then shut it down. He said for the amount i reved up this is just crazy. I dont know im gonna pull the head off and see what happened. Any bets??

Quick Reply: Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!