Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2004, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
um, were you revving in neutral or with the clutch in? was the engine warm? do you have knock control, and did he see knock on the datalog?

my bet is #2 is busted up, and the other pistons are crispy but intact.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ColinL
um, were you revving in neutral or with the clutch in? was the engine warm? do you have knock control, and did he see knock on the datalog?

my bet is #2 is busted up, and the other pistons are crispy but intact.
The origional problem i was in 3rd gear around 6K-7K. The second time was in nuetral reving to about 5K. Knock control is set in the AEM. The origional time i was not logging. The second time i was logging but didnt see anything unuasal. So you think that the piston is gone and there is a piece sitting on top that is causes the plugs to get hit?
Old Aug 13, 2004, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

yes
Old Aug 14, 2004, 07:34 AM

Well honestly i was being stupid. The map was for 114 octane and i was running 5 gallons 114 and 5 gallons 93. So i take credit for being a idiot there. I was running 29psi which it what the map is set for straight C14. The 93 octane map is set to 20psi.
Wow, that's unfortunate, because keep in mind knock control is designed to combat minor knocking problems, not running 29PSI on 100 octane. The one plug that I can make out is black (sooty) with silver specs all over the electrode, those silver specs are detonation. Just hope your head is OK so you don't have to buy a shortblock and a head. It's going to be very expensive unfortunately.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

I swore I responded to this... anyway what's teh update
Old Aug 16, 2004, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
I swore I responded to this... anyway what's teh update
Hey whats up bro? Well the update it i finally got the money together to do whatever i have to do. Im in the process of moving this weekened and i didnt want to start on it and then have to move everything and take a chance of misplacing somthing. So last night i got my car and tools to the new house and will be pulling out the engine tonight and tomorrow after work depending no how it goes i might just have to take a day off becouse i feel somthing coming on! I finally got my own cherry picker and engine stand this weekened so i think im all ready to go. I think it will just be easier to take out the whole engine and get it on the stand to work on. I hate having to bend over a car. So we will see in the next couple days what the outcome is. Im really hoping that it is not too bad. Basically i got everybody stumped "tuners, mechanics, everybody. If the piston was to hit the plug then he would have to beat the $hit out of the head to get to it and you would definetly noticed when it was hitting the head yet in my problem there is no real hard pounding sounds. I checked to make sure that the company didnt send me longer plugs and that was causing my problem but then they all would be hitting. So it really is starting to look like either the piston got diformed or somthing melted to the top of it that just happens to be in the spot of the spark plug. I can finally say we will find out soon!!
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you put oil in the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole, you end up filling in the dish of the piston. That is why your compression goes up, not because it helps the piston rings seal.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShapeGSX
When you put oil in the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole, you end up filling in the dish of the piston. That is why your compression goes up, not because it helps the piston rings seal.
This is true but does this not tell you if you have bad piston rings also? I always heard that if you put oil in the hole and it raises the compression it is a sign of piston rings?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
This is true but does this not tell you if you have bad piston rings also? I always heard that if you put oil in the hole and it raises the compression it is a sign of piston rings?
Yep, it is a well-perpetuated myth.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:35 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

can you email me your log file or post it up here. I can take a look and see if anything is out of the ordinary.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AMS
can you email me your log file or post it up here. I can take a look and see if anything is out of the ordinary.
Oh good im glad you are back. I wanted to talk to you about your stroker kit too. I read somewhere that when you got back from the battle of the imports you would have them ready. Should i call? Ask for you? Here is the log let me know what you think. This log is after i installed the second set of plugs started the car let it warm up and reved it up a couple times to make sure everything was ok. It then backfired and shut down. I pulled the plugs to see the same problem agian. I will email them now.

Thanx for your time!
Chris
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AMS
I guess i need your email. You could PM me if you dont want it public or just let me know what you would prefer!
Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:32 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

it's martin@automotosports.com
For everyone else please keep in mind try to call the shop for sales questions because it's much easier to talk about some things over the phone and I have limited time to check my emails. I look forward to getting your log. Can you please tell me what kind of gas you are running and a run down of your basic mods.

Regards,

Martin
Old Aug 16, 2004, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

OK i sent the email with the log. I was running 5 gallons of 93 octane and 5 gallons of 114. My basic mods are listed below. I did screw up and was running the 29psi map instead of the 19psi map becouse i figured that the octane level would be high enough to handle it. MAYBE NOT?

ATP GT35/40 .63 4" inlet
HKS 272/272
HKS Cam Gears (-2/-2)
FIC 850cc Injectors
AEM Converted to Speed Density
Perrin Cat Delete Pipe
HKS Carbon Ti Catback
HyperFlow FMIC
Buschur Upper Intercooler Piping
Crushed 1g BOV
Unorthodox Pulley Kit minus Crank Pulley
Walbro 255 fuel pump
SS Tubular Manifold

Originally Posted by AMS
it's martin@automotosports.com
For everyone else please keep in mind try to call the shop for sales questions because it's much easier to talk about some things over the phone and I have limited time to check my emails. I look forward to getting your log. Can you please tell me what kind of gas you are running and a run down of your basic mods.

Regards,

Martin
Old Aug 16, 2004, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear about this Chris, I'm afraid it probably detonated to death due to the boost and the ignition timing on your race fuel map, just keep your fingers crossed (I know I do) that it's not too bad A bit strange it happend that fast the second time though but maybe some damage was already done on the first occation?

Quick Reply: Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!