Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:32 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On that log file can you tell me how much boost you saw on your boost gauge? Can you email me the calibration file please?

Thanks!
Martin
Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AMS
On that log file can you tell me how much boost you saw on your boost gauge? Can you email me the calibration file please?

Thanks!
Martin
The file i sent you was the second time that i i put the plugs in and had the same problem. Basically just let the car warm up and reved up a couple times it backfired and then turned off. I will email you both the cal files but you mind if i give you a call right now?

Thanx
Chris
Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:40 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

yah, just give me a call
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Chris,

Any news, good or bad?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Chris,

Any news, good or bad?
Well got the engine out today and pulled the head off. Piston 2 is all messed up with chunks of it sitting on the top of the piston. This is what was closing the gap on the spark plugs. It also ate into my head. Lucky it did nothing to the cylinder walls witch is really suprising to me. Also Piston 4 is cracked in half but held together but im sure one more good boost and it would have gone as well. So basically the block looks good it needs new pistons though. And the head im hoping can be fixed. Its not cracked or anything it is just ate up from the metal hitting it. So im going to talk to AMS about either going with there stroker kit or getting some ROSS pistons and eagle rods and as far as the head goes im gonna see who i can send it to to get it fixed and some Ferrea 1mm over valves installed along with retainers, springs, valve guides.

I got ahold of you contact in Japan and OMG very nice people and the Tomei Cams that are not even available here yet 270 with 11.5 lift and 280 with 11.8 lift they said they can get me no problem. And the best part is a set of either one for $530.00 which is cheaper then anybody in the US by allot!!! So thank you very much for that! I will try and get some picutures up of the damage but with moving i cant seem to find my camera. Ill keep looking and see what i can find.

Chris
Old Aug 19, 2004, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

What did AMS say about the tuning log?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
Well got the engine out today and pulled the head off. Piston 2 is all messed up with chunks of it sitting on the top of the piston. This is what was closing the gap on the spark plugs. It also ate into my head. Lucky it did nothing to the cylinder walls witch is really suprising to me. Also Piston 4 is cracked in half but held together but im sure one more good boost and it would have gone as well. So basically the block looks good it needs new pistons though. And the head im hoping can be fixed. Its not cracked or anything it is just ate up from the metal hitting it. So im going to talk to AMS about either going with there stroker kit or getting some ROSS pistons and eagle rods and as far as the head goes im gonna see who i can send it to to get it fixed and some Ferrea 1mm over valves installed along with retainers, springs, valve guides.

I got ahold of you contact in Japan and OMG very nice people and the Tomei Cams that are not even available here yet 270 with 11.5 lift and 280 with 11.8 lift they said they can get me no problem. And the best part is a set of either one for $530.00 which is cheaper then anybody in the US by allot!!! So thank you very much for that! I will try and get some picutures up of the damage but with moving i cant seem to find my camera. Ill keep looking and see what i can find.

Chris
Great to hear it wasn’t too bad then, I presume it’s safe to say that it was all due to detonations as a result of using the race gas map on too low octane fuel?

I think AMS would be able to sort the pistons and the rods for you and whether you go stroker or not I guess you won’t need to worry about them ever breaking again as long as you stay away from the wrong map/wrong fuel thing again

I hope you get a good deal on the cams and I doubt you will find them much cheaper any where else.

I talked to ATP again last night and the .82 housing was on backorder but they were manufactured now and going through the finalising stage so he said they probably ship Monday or Tuesday next week.

Good luck with your engine rebuild and talk to you soon.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

OK gus here are some pictures of the damage. If you have seen my other posts you know my camera skills are not the greatest . Anyway from the pictures you can see one of the pistons is obviously the main problem i was having. The other picture of piston 4 if you look close you can see the crack on the top right. As far as the head is concerned well i think that speaks for itself . Let me know what you guys think? Little detitnation i believe !
Attached Thumbnails Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-newp1010027.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-newp1010026.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-newp1010025.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-newp1010024.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-newp1010023.jpg  

Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Here are some more!
Attached Thumbnails Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-newp1010022.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-newp1010021.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-newp1010020.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-newp1010019.jpg   Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!-newp1010028.jpg  

Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Are you going to check your turbo to see if the stuff went there too ??

I hope not .. but good luck .. my repair cost for the GT turbo came up to almost the same price as the turbo itself
Old Aug 25, 2004, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

I think he forgot about me sniffle sniffle

Try taking the pictures with a peice of thin paper over the flash, it'll help come out better. Else try covering it with your finger
Old Aug 25, 2004, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

that cylinder head is definitely repairable from the images posted so far.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 08:04 AM

Wow, a very similar situation to me. If you want to know what I paid for a similar job PM me (to avoid you getting ripped off).
Old Aug 25, 2004, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
I think he forgot about me sniffle sniffle

Try taking the pictures with a peice of thin paper over the flash, it'll help come out better. Else try covering it with your finger
I didnt forget about you! I still am unpacking everything from moving into the new house. What a mess! I will find my camera soon
i hope! I used my brothers camera for the pictures i took of the block and head and since he has gone back to school i guess that one is out of the question. Will get them ASAP for ya.

Ya i think everything will be ok. Im looking for someone to bore out the block and clean up the head as we speak. Really i probably could have got drop in pistons but they were on backorder and the .20 over they had right now so i got those. Oh well $15 a hole isnt bad at all to bore and hone the block. And as far as cleaning the head one guy told me to scotch brite it and let it be it wont hurt anything Well this might be true but im sure it couldnt help the matter at the same point. Another place i went to said hey no problem bring it down and you will have it back in a couple days. Well after that i did some more research on them to find out they have damaged other people blocks and heads before just to tell them SORRY! So needless to say i probably wont be going with them unless i want to take a gamble. Finally i found a guy that is very respected in the drag race world for boreing and honeing and also porting and polishing head along with balancing cranks. So this guy i will be seeing today. Problem with him is that he is slammed with work and everybody told me that if im lucky maybe if i stand there with cash in my hand i will get it back in a couple days. Otherwise be expecting 2-4 weeks. G'z i cant win!!! Finally i could send it to darkhorse which we all know is excellant but by the time i pay to ship the block and head there and back and his laybor i probably could have bought a new head I had a long talk with darkhorse for about 30-40mins and he is a great guy very knowledgable but agian allot of people know this and he is slammed with work as well. Time is of a essance for me at this point! Anyway i will keep you updated.

Oh ya i will have to take some pics of my garage when i find the damn camera i got more parts laid all over then you could believe. You know its amazing how much our engine resemble the Drag bike engines. Specifically the head!!! Anyway we will see what happens.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had my engine honed, and a few other things done, I took it to a motorcycle machine shop. They were well equipped to do everything, and they were extremely precise.

Quick Reply: Bent Rod? Stretched Rod Bolt? HELP!!!