Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

IC spray runoff?????

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yup I fill with windshiled wiper spray. Man I love this feature, I didn't even know this came with the car until I bought it haha!!
Old Aug 21, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the reason why the run-off is not on the top is if water is in there and freezes, it has room to expand. put a soda can in the freezer and check it 5 hours later. same theory with the sprayer. just my thoughts.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

it sure did freek me out the 1st time I filled it up. I was like, WHAT DID I DO!!! Blue stuff is leeking all over my garage?! But then I figured out what it was.

I use water, but sometimes I worry about it boiling not freezing when the car sits in my garage.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Does everyone elses dry out like really fast? I so rarely use the sprayer but every time I look at it it's empty! Does it just evaporate really fast? I'm pretty sure I don't have a leak since I don't ever see any fluids under car (except when I fill it up and it spills over like everyone else).
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alex_alex
actually, water is fine. the only reason mitsu suggests using wiper fluid is so it wont freeze in cold areas. Luckily, we don't have to worry about that in Cali.
Correct!
Old Aug 21, 2004, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oak2207
Does everyone elses dry out like really fast? I so rarely use the sprayer but every time I look at it it's empty! Does it just evaporate really fast? I'm pretty sure I don't have a leak since I don't ever see any fluids under car (except when I fill it up and it spills over like everyone else).
I have the opposite problem. I run it on AUTO all the time, and never have to fill it up. Leak, maybe?
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

In addition the alcohol in the solution works as a better wet bulb, and helps to keep the IC cooler by a few degrees nothing great, but still cooler.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alex_alex
actually, water is fine. the only reason mitsu suggests using wiper fluid is so it wont freeze in cold areas. Luckily, we don't have to worry about that in Cali.
Does anybody know why they don't just recommend that we run it dry during the winter? It's not like you'd want to use it anyway.

d
Old Aug 23, 2004, 09:25 AM

I dont own an evo so I would know but does anyone actually feel a difference with the sprayer on or off. Also is there a difference in feel between the manual and auto modes

In response to machron1`s post. Rust IS Oxidation. Free oxygen ions combine with a metal, like iron to form iron oxide, or Fe2O3. Hence the term `oxidation`. The same goes with aluminum, aluminum oxide is Al2O3. The difference between the two is that aluminum oxide forms so quickly once the metal touches air that the oxide coats the metal, preventing further oxidation. It is possible to further increase the oxide`s hardness and thickness by anodising, giving the aluminum even more protection from the elements.

On another note, it is of interest to note that oxidation is the same reaction that produces fire, however at a much faster rate than rust.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MadJerry
I dont own an evo so I would know but does anyone actually feel a difference with the sprayer on or off. Also is there a difference in feel between the manual and auto modes
It depends. There are reports of 5hp difference on very hot, dry days. I've never seen a definitive set of conditions which cause it to spray in auto mode, nor have i actually seen/heard it come on in auto. If it has, there's no way for me to hear it over the engine noise.

I've used manual mode when climbing a hill in mid-summer. I can't tell a difference. Almost wish i had an intake temperature gauge.

d

Last edited by donour; Aug 23, 2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

In response to machron1`s post. Rust IS Oxidation. Free oxygen ions combine with a metal, like iron to form iron oxide, or Fe2O3. Hence the term `oxidation`. The same goes with aluminum, aluminum oxide is Al2O3. The difference between the two is that aluminum oxide forms so quickly once the metal touches air that the oxide coats the metal, preventing further oxidation. It is possible to further increase the oxide`s hardness and thickness by anodising, giving the aluminum even more protection from the elements.
I see you took a class or two in school, but I think you need to work on your logic. You might want to take discrete mathematics, philosophy, boolean algebra, or something that will let you understand simple logic without getting confused.

This is what I said:
Originally Posted by machron1
Technically aluminum doesn't rust, but it does oxidize...
All rust is oxidization, but not all oxidization is rust. I was simply making that distinction because of course aluminum isn't a ferrous metal, and rust is oxidization of a ferrous metal.

How about I change my post to say
Technically aluminum doesn't combine with oxygen to form Fe2O3, but it does combine with oxygen to form Al2O3
because that is so much more concise

On another note, it is of interest to note that oxidation is the same reaction that produces fire, however at a much faster rate than rust.
I find it more interesting to note that certain people who take a chemistry class find it necessary to attempt in vain to impress people with their complete and total understanding of the known universe...

EDIT: Troll...
Old Aug 23, 2004, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Obviously your question has been answered but I want to evolve so I'll answer it again =). Yep, its normal. There is a small tube that runs off the extra water when its overfilled.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

what if you put pure alcohol in there?
Old Aug 23, 2004, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
Does anybody know why they don't just recommend that we run it dry during the winter? It's not like you'd want to use it anyway.

d

well i supposed in the winter, the spray would matter less, just like during the night on a warm day even. However, if you run it dry, you run the risk of breaking the pump if you accidentally throw it on auto and its just pumping air
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

haha to MadJerry [no offense duude],
owwnnnneeeddd. yes i do know it's played-out, but that makes it a tad bit more funny. hhaha but it is soo true, everyone wants to be the know it all.