Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2004, 02:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start.

Hey, I didn't drive my car for about 2 weeks while I was waiting for new tires to come in (They were completely bald). I'm now [edit] on vacation to Taiwan, and before I left, I tried to turn on my car again, cuz I didn't want the batteries to die (Plus, I wanted to hear the engine again) and I tried and tried and it wouldn't start. Everything sounds fine, it just doesn't want to start up. The engine bay (from what I could see) looks okay, just dirty from the trees. I tried using my brother's car to jump start mine (in case the battery was dead), but still no luck. Any ideas? Maybe I gotta pop the clutch? I come back home in a week, should I just get it taken in for service? I have about 15K on the car and I haven't taken it back to the dealer for service yet (I do my own oil changes). Maybe I should get them to do that? I just don't trust the dealer too much. What do u guys think?

Last edited by __NiTe__; Aug 22, 2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 03:08 AM
Evolving Member

That sucks..
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure you've checked this... but it does has gas right? Do you smell fuel when you're trying to start it? Is it flooded? Just a few things to check...
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:50 AM

Sometimes jumping can't revive a dead battery at all because it is unable to hold any charge. Try replacing the battery with a new one.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PHiSH
Sometimes jumping can't revive a dead battery at all because it is unable to hold any charge. Try replacing the battery with a new one.
dude its not the battery
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

u have old gas
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Does it crank? If not, try putting the car in gear and rock it back and forth. I could very well be a frozen starter. Go try this and then key the ignition, and let me know what happens.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

I think it cranks, I'm not sure, I didn't have time to check out the car that much. I'm getting back in about a week and a few days, I'll check it out then. I'll keep u guys informed.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Old gas would make it not start? I've seen cars that haven't been started in months start with no problem. Why would the evo be any different? The motor's just being picky? What should I do when I get back? How do I drain the gas from the tank and the engine?
Old Aug 22, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

If the car goes click click, its your battery. Also things like the headlights won't work or will be dim.

If it goes rrrrr rrrrrr rrrrrr its probably the starter or alternator...

Don't you guys love my technical sounds? Its hard to vocalize engine noise on a message board haha.

Little addition I just thought of. Look at the distributor, it may be cracked or have moisture in it.

Last edited by s2kguy; Aug 22, 2004 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Addition
Old Aug 22, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

It goes rrrrr rrrrrr rrrrr fine. The headlights work, the radio works, etc etc I donno, I guess I'll wait till I get back to take a good look at it, it just bothers me and I can't enjoy my vacation with the thought of my evo not starting.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Its probably the distributor. I had a similar problem with my old 2002 eclipse gt where water got into the distributor after it sat for awhile when I was on vacation. I took off the distributor cap and water came out . After it dried out it started fine and sprayed on this stuff that displaces moisture and keeps it off electical stuff. You can get it at Pep boys I think .
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

evos have a distributor cap? wtf?
Old Aug 23, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Beats the hell out of me dude. I'm just talking from prior mits experience, trying to be helpful . But something somewhere has to control the spark plug timing and Mits and electricity don't always understand one another.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:04 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kataklyzm
evos have a distributor cap? wtf?
Nope, electronic ignition with the fancy smancy coil on plug gizmos, so no distributor.