Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

87 octane?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2004, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 octane?

I know for a fact that one of the first times I filled up my evo, I put 87 octane in it.
Stupid, I know - but I was driving a truck for a while and I just got used to getting the cheap stuff.
My girlfriend drives it only on rare occasions, but always "puts a little gas in it" because she hates her jeep and likes driving the car. (She drives like a granny, no abuse worries there.)

But I've noticed that (and I don't think it's that I'm "getting used to" the boost/power) the car seems not to have as much oomph... so when I started thinking about it, I said "honey, did you put premium in it?" And she said "Oh yeah, I always put 89 in it... that's the premium, right?"

Argh. Seven years of college - you'd think she'd know better.

Did a tankfull of 87 and the gallons here and there of 89 do permanent damage to the car?

If so, in what way, and can I fix it? It really just doesn't push me back in the seat the way it used to, and I think if it's not boost leak - it has something to do with the low octane gas.

Any feedback?
Old Aug 21, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

there is a big difference between 87 and 93 octane, ive heard you lose close to 20 hp between 89 and 93 octane. i would suggest put some 91 or 93 octane and go buy a gallon of 105 unleaded and mix them together that should help things out.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

That's funny man, I could see my wife doing the exact same thing! Don't worry about long term damage, but if you keep putting 87 in on a regular basis, constant knocking could eventually wear out your motor. The ECU can actually adjust to the lower octane gas by pulling timing. In fact, I would guess that could be why it feels slow. Try disconnecting the neg battery terminal and standing on the brake for about a minute. Then reconnect. This should reset the ECU and, assuming you have 93 in there, hopefully she'll come back to life.

The other two major factors are what you just mentioned, plain old getting used to it (same thing happened to me) and having the AC on. The car loses about 18 hp with the AC on according to my Gtech, so if it's summertime that could just be your problem, plus the fact that the turbo doesn't do as well in the heat. So never race anyone with the AC on or you'll just embarass all of us ;-)

Good luck!
Old Aug 21, 2004, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

thats a great story.i wonder if shes blonde also,hmmmm....
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
just get some more high octane stuff to mis it through, 100 or 105 if you can get it, doesn't take that much but if you wanna be real safe just get a half tank that'll keep you in the green for at least a couple more "fills" from your lady.

ever think that she's really actually drivin' the goodness outta yer car and that secretly she's takumi and she's woopin' people on touge in broad daylight and you don't even know it? she's just fillin' up the tank to cover her tracks :]
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
just get some more high octane stuff to mis it through, 100 or 105 if you can get it, doesn't take that much but if you wanna be real safe just get a half tank that'll keep you in the green for at least a couple more "fills" from your lady.

ever think that she's really actually drivin' the goodness outta yer car and that secretly she's takumi and she's woopin' people on touge in broad daylight and you don't even know it? she's just fillin' up the tank to cover her tracks :]
She hates street-racing; when I had my 350Z I was in the doghouse for a day over an ugly green-light start with a GT Mustang with her in the car. Scared the crap out of her.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

The lower octane has lower power output. Yes you can lose lots of horsepower and torque. I would use this formula myself. The power loss could be 87/91 = .9560
.9560 X 271 = 259.076 horsepower
The reason for this is the amount of usable enegy in the fuel (combustible octane) and the amount of timing the car can run. If the car is running 87 it knocks and pings and the computer retards the timing to adjust to the poison it was fed.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:33 AM
Evolved Member

No long term dammage just clean it out with race gas that should fix it up nicely and from now on put 91-93 in it enjoy
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
btw i filled up a quarter tank of 100 two days ago, my car pulls noticably stronger, no kidding, not butt dyno delusion, it seriously boost stronger and sooner especially in the higher gears like second and third. i would say the gains from filling higher octane are minimal after about a quarter tank tho (unless you turn up the boost) because these cars are just built for 93 and in california you're just always running subpar.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:40 PM

In the manual it says that 87 is okay, but not reccommended. It does harm to your horsepower because of the Octane, but just go through your manual in it somewhere it says something about regular gasoline.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:37 PM

Higher octane in Cali

Does anyone know why they dont have higher octane in California and/or why a few years back they knocked the 92 down to 91? I have this funny suspicion that the greens and wieners that run this state (minus Arnold) are trying to slowly outlaw sports cars. Just like they have taken all the other fun things away... Fireworks, Assault Weapons, Nunchucks, and Old Playground Equip...

It appears I have found the answer...

Read this if you like....

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ed...201scc_techno/

Last edited by MadJerry; Aug 23, 2004 at 11:50 PM. Reason: I found the answer to my own question
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

NASIOC Forums - 91 Octane in CA , This came from an online Z club.

I got a buddy that works for Tosco, the fuel distributors and blenders for
california and he sent me a secret internal corporate memo stating that the
octane for premium fuel in all of california for all companies is going to
go down to 91 octane.

The premise is to insure a good supply of fuel but the real reason is so
they can hold the line on price but maximize profits!

The switchover date to the new crappy fuel is 8/1/01. This is bad for us
turbo owners as well as any owner of a turbo or high compression car like
Type R Integras, the M3 and the M5, Corvettes, Vipers, etc.

The memo is for Tosco's consumer affairs department on how to handle
customer complaint for owners of high performance cars. The memo recommends
directing customers to the select stations that sell 100 octane unleaded
racing fuel! It's like so sorry we don't make gas for your car anymore, but
we can service you if you want to bend over and pay $4 a gallon!

Here is Tosco's CA hotline number, call it and complain

1-800-527-5476.

Pass the word via the internet. Lets not take this! Someone get this on
tt.net and other groups.

This is 100% legit.

Mike

I agrre on the reason being holding the line on price while maximizing profits. Cali has Millions and millions of people and probably the most drivers of any state. We also have all the technology here to make 93 octane a reality. Someone does want to capitalize on all of the drivers here. The truckers would be the only lobbyists that would be able to change this and they use deisel fuel. There doesnt seem to be a sports car lobbyist...? Most people are happy with ordinary cars that use regular fuel. SInce there is no reason for most people to complain about being ripped off *91 instead of 93, nothing will be done about it.