Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution VIII and MR Cd (Coefficient of Drag)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the new z with aero package does have a low Cd. And i thought the NSX Cd is around .28 or something. Honda Hybrid is also in the .2's
Old Aug 22, 2004, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
ferrari 360 is .335 dont trust ur eyes man, and i doubt the 350Z is .31, the NSX is .3 and the Z is way too fat to come close to that
You might want to do some research on that. The 350Z and it's G35 sibling do have those low numbers. Those low numbers was one of the "big deals" when the new models were introduced.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
I work for Nissan, pal. Plus I owned a Z. I think you are the one who is "trusting the eyes." The Z was designed in a wind tunnel. The Ferrari was designed on canvas. I know what I'm talking about. Don't forget it.
Sorry but you don't know what you are talking about b/c the Ferrari 360 was only designed on "canvas", it spent over 5400 hours in the wind tunnel when it was designed....Here is a link to proove it and so that you can read it thus "trusting the eyes." Enjoy!!!

http://www.ferrari.co.uk/collection/...ena/design.asp
Old Aug 22, 2004, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by ez76; Aug 22, 2004 at 05:45 PM. Reason: did not contribute to the thread
Old Aug 22, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nabit
Sorry but you don't know what you are talking about b/c the Ferrari 360 was only designed on "canvas", it spent over 5400 hours in the wind tunnel when it was designed....Here is a link to proove it and so that you can read it thus "trusting the eyes." Enjoy!!!

http://www.ferrari.co.uk/collection/...ena/design.asp

I find it amusing that you think it matters how many hours the Modena spent in the windtunnel while we are talking about Cd. The Modena has a Cd of .33 which is higher than even the base model Z much less the Aero package equipped. Now if we were talking about pure downforce, the Modena is quite nice! Thus says that the Modena was designed to look awesome before it was put in the windtunnel. Even the Bugatti Veyron had this problem, that is why it has not been released yet. It was drawn up real pretty like, then they figured out that they had to lower the advertised top speed from 250 to 230 because it needed some downforce. The Modena and Veyron were not designed in the windtunnel as the Z was. They were designed on canvas with oil paints by Picasso. Beautiful cars? Absolutley. Astonishing Cd? No.

Who doesn't know what they are talking about? I think maybe you. Research more than one link before you post next time and at least try to stay on topic.

Last edited by EVOTEXAS; Aug 22, 2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

EVOTEXAS has a valid and accurate point, nabit.

Ultimately hours in the wind tunnel do not correlate to decreased drag coefficient.

The F360 was about looks first, aerodynamic and downforce changes second.

Now, if you look at the ENZO, Cd of 0.36... aerodynamics was sacrificed for downforce, like all F1 cars. Down force modeled in a wind tunnel.

So Cd is only part of the story... Prius has a Cd of about 0.22. Slippery, but not a performance machine by any means.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:12 PM

I work for Nissan, pal. Plus I owned a Z. I think you are the one who is "trusting the eyes." The Z was designed in a wind tunnel. The Ferrari was designed on canvas. I know what I'm talking about. Don't forget it.
the 360 was designed in a wind tunnel, ferrari logged over 1000 hours during its development, i dont know how the 350 was designed but it was done in america (if my memory serves me correctly) and i doubt they had a windtunnel during its design
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:41 PM

I find it amusing that you think it matters how many hours the Modena spent in the windtunnel while we are talking about Cd. The Modena has a Cd of .33 which is higher than even the base model Z much less the Aero package equipped. Now if we were talking about pure downforce, the Modena is quite nice! Thus says that the Modena was designed to look awesome before it was put in the windtunnel. Even the Bugatti Veyron had this problem, that is why it has not been released yet. It was drawn up real pretty like, then they figured out that they had to lower the advertised top speed from 250 to 230 because it needed some downforce. The Modena and Veyron were not designed in the windtunnel as the Z was. They were designed on canvas with oil paints by Picasso. Beautiful cars? Absolutley. Astonishing Cd? No.

Who doesn't know what they are talking about? I think maybe you. Research more than one link before you post next time and at least try to stay on topic.
lets stop this childish bickering
i really have no clue how the 350z was designed so if you havea reference post it
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:43 PM

and as for the previous .36 Cd post can you find something more ... concrete, i cant just look at a photo and accept it as fact
the lancer evolution 6 had a Cd of .30 hard to believe that they'd gain .06 ...
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

I also watched that episode of Best Motoring. The EVO VIII has cd of 0.36 and that infomation is from Japan.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:55 PM

woops, the evo 6 has a cd of .34 my source was mistaken nwo the .36 figure doesnt seem that unbelievable
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

BACK ON TOPIC:

So that small little window spoiler on the MR drops Cd by .01? I thought that it was to increase downforce. I admit it looks lame, but Mitsubishi could have solved both the downforce problem and the looks problem at the same time if they had given us the adjustable rear wing like they were supposed to.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:58 PM

while we're on the subject what are ways to reduce drag? removing the side mirrors would be one but thats .. illegal

a flat underbody would do i guess, the stock front bumper doesnt look that aerodynamic ... maybe something there would help ...

but as many of you have pointed out before downforce is usually weighed more heavily then a low drag coefficient so removing any lift from the evo would prolly be higher priority then lowering the Cd
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

I think a rear diffuser would help. Seems like a lot of air get stuck on the rear bumper. Lowered the ride-height could help as well.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:19 PM

the rear diffuser on the MR creates turbulence which decreases the wake region behind the car. thus lower drag coefficient. same principle as a golf ball. if you want to reduce drag, you can put dents all over you car... =)

Quick Reply: Evolution VIII and MR Cd (Coefficient of Drag)