Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution VIII and MR Cd (Coefficient of Drag)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
lets stop this childish bickering
i really have no clue how the 350z was designed so if you havea reference post it
I AM your reference.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

And just as a sidenote to comment on some comments about the diffuser and other such products. Parts that reduce lift increase effective downforce. The idea is to increase downforce. By reducing lift you are reducing the force that acts against downforce. It is easier to push something DOWN that isn't pushing back up. I am sure some of you dirties can think of some real life examples.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude U cant be a reference u have no official capacity to back up ur claims, citing a source like a mag or data the company itself has published is the only concrete stuff u can directly refer to

... evo u r the master of stating the obvious, ofcourse less lift = more downforce thats like saying pouring water into a glass fills it up ...

the thing is the stock lancer has a Cd of .30 and all im saying is even though the evo has the rear wing and the front bumper intercooler and hood vent the difference should not be as much as .06

at most that should add .3 or 4 (thats a subjective estimation obviously)

now regarding the previous post of that picture i dont believe that is a credible source, if it did make it into the film/movie whatever u call it, then there should be some official evidence to back it up, all im asking is to bring THAT reference up cuz a secondary source is never as good as the official one
Old Aug 23, 2004, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jlanevo8

you are correct in saying that it directs flow to the wing (not spoiler), but any disturbance to the flow, such as the vortex generator will cause turbulence. the turbulence will reduce separation from the rear window and direct flow over the wing. without the generator, the wing might still be in the wake region, hence lower pressure and less downforce.
^^probably the only intelligent post in this whole thread.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
I find it amusing that you think it matters how many hours the Modena spent in the windtunnel while we are talking about Cd. The Modena has a Cd of .33 which is higher than even the base model Z much less the Aero package equipped. Now if we were talking about pure downforce, the Modena is quite nice! Thus says that the Modena was designed to look awesome before it was put in the windtunnel. Even the Bugatti Veyron had this problem, that is why it has not been released yet. It was drawn up real pretty like, then they figured out that they had to lower the advertised top speed from 250 to 230 because it needed some downforce. The Modena and Veyron were not designed in the windtunnel as the Z was. They were designed on canvas with oil paints by Picasso. Beautiful cars? Absolutley. Astonishing Cd? No.

Who doesn't know what they are talking about? I think maybe you. Research more than one link before you post next time and at least try to stay on topic.
You stated that the ferrari was designed only on canvas, which is false b/c a windtunnel was also used...So the ferrari was first drawn and then revised in the wind tunnel to get the desired package they were after...The link makes that fact for me, not me using "myself " as a reference...Also I didn't even mentioned the z b/c I could careless about it, I was only referring to the ferrari and the fact that it was designed on both paper and in the wind tunnel..Not just on "canvas" like you stated....

Also the hours spent in the wind tunnel helped give that the car the .33 that is has...The cd b4 the wind tunnel was most likely a lot higher than that b4 they changed the aerodynamics of the car in ways to help w/ lift and downforce thus effecting the overall cd of the car at the time of production..
Old Aug 23, 2004, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
dude U cant be a reference u have no official capacity to back up ur claims, citing a source like a mag or data the company itself has published is the only concrete stuff u can directly refer to

... evo u r the master of stating the obvious, ofcourse less lift = more downforce thats like saying pouring water into a glass fills it up ...

the thing is the stock lancer has a Cd of .30 and all im saying is even though the evo has the rear wing and the front bumper intercooler and hood vent the difference should not be as much as .06

at most that should add .3 or 4 (thats a subjective estimation obviously)

now regarding the previous post of that picture i dont believe that is a credible source, if it did make it into the film/movie whatever u call it, then there should be some official evidence to back it up, all im asking is to bring THAT reference up cuz a secondary source is never as good as the official one
I would like to see hard evidence of the facts TXEVO has as well..Posting stuff on the net doesn't make it factual until you can prove it..A link would be nice....For all we know about you, you could be a 12yr old that is just talking out of thier head to look like they know what theya re talking about on an internet forum...A link makes a post credible, if the source is accurate...

Post a link or something to help prove your point so that is is more believeable...
Old Aug 23, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

The Haynes book I mentioned earlier also says that the each Lancer Evolution spent a fair bit of time in a wind tunnel and that Mitsubishi tries very hard to get the most downforce and lowest CD they can. I have also read that Mitsubishi Motors uses the experience of it's related Mitsubishi aircraft company in the design of some of it's cars. If this information is true, and I don't see why it wouldn't be, then I can believe that the Evolution VIII could have a CD between 0.30 and 0.34.

Aston
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Why is .29 so hard to believe? Have you ever seen a G35/350z in person? I mean do you still need a link? If so here: http://www.carsdirect.com/research/i...coupe/features.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

I think the majority of the Z's CD advantage comes from the long front and rear windshields
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Have you geniouses questioning me not fully read through my posts? Typical. You obviously overlooked the fact that I stated that I work for Nissan. I am not even close to telling you what I do for them or my name or anything else that may help your lack of trust obviously stemming from previous flawed relationships with the opposite sex.

It is painfully obvious that you questioners have done absolutely no research on the Cd of the Z. The information is widely available to the public. Why don't you check for yourselves. Besides, who cares? This is an Evolution forum and as far as the Z goes, been there done that.

Knife, regarding the effects of a giant wing and an open front clip affecting Cd, welcome to reality.

I have never seen so many arguments based solely in DENIAL!!! But, but, but, the EVO, it's an EVO, so, wait, but, EVO, no!

Accept that the EVO has a high Cd. So what? It is in the name of downforce, as mentioned earlier about the Enzo. EVO, Enzo, what's the difference? You're a bunch of whiners!
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nabit
I would like to see hard evidence of the facts TXEVO has as well..Posting stuff on the net doesn't make it factual until you can prove it..A link would be nice....For all we know about you, you could be a 12yr old that is just talking out of thier head to look like they know what theya re talking about on an internet forum...A link makes a post credible, if the source is accurate...

Post a link or something to help prove your point so that is is more believeable...
If you can find a link for the Ferrari Cd you can find one yourself for the Z without blinking. I am not going to humor your disorder. Find it yourself, I'm not in the business of pleasing you. Understand first that I don't care about what or who you believe. Then we can have a conversation.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nabit
You stated that the ferrari was designed only on canvas, which is false b/c a windtunnel was also used...So the ferrari was first drawn and then revised in the wind tunnel to get the desired package they were after...The link makes that fact for me, not me using "myself " as a reference...Also I didn't even mentioned the z b/c I could careless about it, I was only referring to the ferrari and the fact that it was designed on both paper and in the wind tunnel..Not just on "canvas" like you stated....

Also the hours spent in the wind tunnel helped give that the car the .33 that is has...The cd b4 the wind tunnel was most likely a lot higher than that b4 they changed the aerodynamics of the car in ways to help w/ lift and downforce thus effecting the overall cd of the car at the time of production..
When you start using "links" as facts, you are on your way down to the deep pit of Internet ignorance. I deal with these things every day. Why don't you PM me, I'll give you my work address and I can show you around what is not virtual.

Regarding the Ferrari on canvas, pick up on the sarcasm. Throw me a bone!

Also the hours spent in the wind tunnel helped give that the car the .33 that is has...The cd b4 the wind tunnel was most likely a lot higher than that b4 they changed the aerodynamics of the car in ways to help w/ lift and downforce thus effecting the overall cd of the car at the time of production..[/
My point exactly. Why don't you reread what you and I posted earlier and then come back. Here's a hint: Bugatti Veyron.

Last edited by EVOTEXAS; Aug 23, 2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

You know what, screw it:

http://www.abbynissan.com/vehicles/350z.htm
http://www.mills.nissan.ca/newvehicl...2004_350z.html
http://350zmotoring.com/2003_nissan_...fications.html
http://www.automotive.com/nissan/11/350z/
http://www.authttp://www.nissan.ie/g...9_nissan_350z/
http://autozine.kyul.net/html/Nissan4.htm
http://researchyourcar.com/compare/d...yle=48&text=Cd
http://www.autofieldguide.com/driven/0702dri02.html
http://www.autos.com/autos/car/sport...se/performance

Even the Roadster is .34!
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/nissa...ce=nctd&page=2

Let me know if you want more "links." I got bored.

This one is great!
http://researchyourcar.com/compare/d...yle=48&text=Cd

Last edited by EVOTEXAS; Aug 23, 2004 at 03:07 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have any idea what the definition of vortex is? Look it up and then see if you can figure out how it HELPS the MR... if I must spell it out I will but not until somepeople do alittle tihnking before they start to type.

Man we are all fellow dsm friends lets just get along we are fighting over 2-4 thousandths of drag... wooopiieeeeeeee

Yes the evo does have alot of downforce, it also has alot of lift as well, which is why it requires so much downforce, otherwise your car would drive like a honda at highspeeds...

One last side comment, the CD of a hummer H2 is .57; all I know is coming down the grapevine in Socal I can gain 15+mph coasting that thing looks like a brick going through air but it weighs 6400+lbs.... My evo through the grapevine doesn't really gain anyspeed except for maybe 1-3 mph and its half the weight of the hummer

Last edited by 1QWKEVO; Aug 23, 2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks evotexas, that is all I was looking for..Proven sources that state the obvious.. I was only stating that anyone can post info on the web( like my real name is Bill Gates and I own microsoft) but who is truely going to believe it unless there is something to back it up..Thanks for the links....As far as the z goes I know it is a slippery beast that has an awesome cd, already knew that, wasn't questioning that, I was referring to the ferrari......Later

Quick Reply: Evolution VIII and MR Cd (Coefficient of Drag)