Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Stolen

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
The Club is made of hardened steel, which is hard to cut through. The steering wheel is made with a weaker grade steel for lightness and to prevent it from crushing your face in case the air bags don't deploy. If you have The Club and a crook wants your car, they will simply cut the steering wheel on each side of The Club and then remove it.
No doubt, but it's a deterence... complicates the situation and adds time warding off two-bit thieves.

But you're right, if someone really wants you car, they'll plan for it and take it.

Was thinking of wiring an additional battery to the frame and having the circuit active when I activate the alarm...
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:00 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
AHHH you guys really need to inform yourselves on the security systems of this car!
Thank you for brightening my day with quite possibly the most ironic comment I have ever heard in my life. You would do well to heed your own advice.

Now, as for the Club: you don't need to cut the steering wheel twice, just saw through it next to the club, bend the wheel outwards, slide club off, bend wheel back. To the passing cop they'd never even know it's been cut.

On to the car in question: Front bumper's messed up? Surprised nobody has mentioned this, but could it be where they loaded it onto the flat bed? Chances are that they tried to start it and failed then just ended up towing it away.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Uh...is it possible that they couldn't start the car and towed it away instead??? Maybe that's why your bumper is messed up...just a thought...
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Lojack isn't all that. When I was younger, I had some friends who were...well lets just say they had experience in this field... one of them had 12 lojack modules in his apartment. It seems they always put it in the same place on a specific type of vehicle and a lot of theives know this and just rip it out. I think the best deterrent for the money is an autoloc pro. You can't cut the brake pedal and its damn near impossible to cut the loc itself - plus its visable.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:45 AM

It is possible that they couldn't start the car. But to bring a flatbed truck and tow it? I'm not sure about that. Keep in mind that this was in the Marriott hotel parking lot. It happend during the early hours of the morning (1:30am-7:30am). The car would not start when I tried it, however. I just assumed that they had pulled some fuses to prevent someone else from taking the car while they waited it out (to see if the car had lojack).

As for the TT discussion, I had simply turned off my car at the time, not using the TT. So I think the theft had nothing to do with my TT. Another strange thing, which I failed to mention, was that they peeled back the screen on my front bumper, but right beneath the hood -- no where near anything of importance. Why would they do this? If they broke into the car, they wouldn't need to peel back the mesh to pop the hood -- they could do that from inside the car....so why? Apparently, they did something to the front of my car, because my front license plate was knocked off as well. Who knows.

I am seriously thinking about putting hte insurance money for my stereo into some part less easily stolen -- like an exhaust or coilovers or something. That way I won't have to replace it anytime soon.

Thanks for all the discourse though guys. It helps shed light on the situation.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
good idea and good luck man
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The best thing is a hidden kill switch... everything else is too easy to defeat for professionals.... oh well... if the immobilizer is bunk there goes that excuse for not getting a stand alone ems -rob
Old Aug 23, 2004, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by areet
Uhm, if you wired a TT correctly you'd run a wire to the emergency brake, so if it's put down the car turns off immediately. I wired in a friend's greddy tt manually, and made sure to rip apart the center console to get to that wire.

actually, that is worthless too. you just need to drive with the parking break clicked up one notch, and you can drive off while the TT is still on.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Freddie1111
Lojack isn't all that. When I was younger, I had some friends who were...well lets just say they had experience in this field... one of them had 12 lojack modules in his apartment. It seems they always put it in the same place on a specific type of vehicle and a lot of theives know this and just rip it out. I think the best deterrent for the money is an autoloc pro. You can't cut the brake pedal and its damn near impossible to cut the loc itself - plus its visable.
a friend of mine had auto lock , and they took it off the car (clutch pedal) the only thing that stop them from taking the car was a kill switch. (whihc is not secure all the time)
if they want your car enough they will take it, no matter what.
most of the time it can be arrange with a flat bed
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like they tried to hotwire the car and they failed so they towed it. i have tried to bypass my immobilizer when i thought my ecu was fried using my friends evo and his ecu and i find it hard to believe that they got pass that. Did the car have any extra miles? or any gas ? when you found it. Does it look like it was beaten on (body damage).
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Identity theft and creating new keys is usually an easier way to steal these kinds of cars.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Even with a copied key it must still be programmed to the car. But anyone who works at the dealership or has access to Mitsu's dealer link online. Can easily use your vin # to get the immobilizer code which can be entered using a sequence of actions (not going into detail for obvious reasons) to get your car started and bypass the immobilizer. Your best bet is to install a kill switch or aftermarket alarm

Doug W.

Edit: Malibu- the immobilzer actually measures resistance. There is no frequencey from the key that is measured. I would say its and inside job but since you said that the ignition was all jacked up then who knows. I know one thing for sure the car will not start if you don't have the immobilzer code, and that there is no way to by-pass it with out the code.

Last edited by Boost Solutions; Aug 23, 2004 at 06:05 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
they should be shoot at the spot with the shoot gun, sorry to hear that bro, there is no way iam leaving my car overnight somewhere on the parking lot... (let me ask you how many times you allready parked there for your business trip?)
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alex_alex
Wow. That wasn't funny at all.
hey, your cool.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sophic
hey, your cool.

Quick Reply: Evo Stolen