Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Stolen

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2004, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Blitz DTT in my EVO and when i first installed it I tryed turning it off then putting the key back in while it was counting down to see if the car stayed running...NOPE!!! it shut right off. Also, If you try to start the car while the TT is counting down all you do is spin the flywheel (don't ask how i know that...had a blond moment...lol).

As far as the immobilizer, it is similar to GMs. There is a chip in the plastic part of the key and a sensor in the column. If the chip doesn't trip the sensor, it blocks the signal to the ECU and the car won't start. Most professional car theives know this and can figure a way around it...

As for an inside job at the dealer, y didn't they just use a key instead of breaking the column..think someone's watched Gone in 60 Seconds to much..lol j/k
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hbruce16
I have a Blitz DTT in my EVO and when i first installed it I tryed turning it off then putting the key back in while it was counting down to see if the car stayed running...NOPE!!! it shut right off. Also, If you try to start the car while the TT is counting down all you do is spin the flywheel (don't ask how i know that...had a blond moment...lol).

As far as the immobilizer, it is similar to GMs. There is a chip in the plastic part of the key and a sensor in the column. If the chip doesn't trip the sensor, it blocks the signal to the ECU and the car won't start. Most professional car theives know this and can figure a way around it...

As for an inside job at the dealer, y didn't they just use a key instead of breaking the column..think someone's watched Gone in 60 Seconds to much..lol j/k
It shut off, because you probably had the parking brake still engaged. If you disengage the parking break with the key back in (set to On), it would shut the turbo timer off, and allow you to drive again.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear man
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

Turbo timer

Im assuming you left in a hurry.. wut turbo timer you said that you had? Some turbo timers dont have that function where you wire it to your brakes and when you drop the brakes your car shuts off... if you dont have that chances are or most likely wut happened was he just jumped in your car and kept pushing the timer higher and higher and drove off with it well anyways theives are ****heads that need to get a real job instead of stealing **** and selling it at the ***in swapmeet
Old Sep 17, 2004, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are worried about someone stealing your car hook up a fuel pump cut off switch (very easy to do, and very effective), just hide the switch under the dash or somewhere remote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
Here's what I found out. I went to K-Mart and had a spare key cut with NO Immobilizer chip in it. Just a plain ol' $0.99 key. THen I went out to my car. First, I tried starting the car with just the copied key. It would crank, but not start up. After the 3rd try, the green security light started to flash on the dash. This whole time, I had the original key in my pocket. It wasn't close enough. I then took out the original key and started the car. Then I turned off the car and while the turbo timer was counting down, I inserted the copied key again and turned it to the ON position. I dropped the hand brake and the car kept running. Normally, this would have shut off my turbo timer and the engine. Then I shut off the car and tried starting it again, using the copied key, with the original key RIGHT NEXT to it, trying to be in close enough proximity of the immobilizer's antenna. It still wouldn't start. The original key had to be IN the ignition for it to start.

So, in conclusion.

Once the turbo timer is counting down, you can insert a copied key and the car will not recognize it as a copy. The immobilizer only looks for a proper key upon startup. The rest of the time, it could care less. It looks like it is simple circuitry that once properly biased, it stays latched until all power is removed. This is probably why it is so easy to defeat the immobilizer. It doesn't take some fancy code, just the correct applied voltage (or grounding) and you're in there.
Did you try to drive the car for 15-20 minutes? I heard that you can start the car by bypassing the immobilizer but would not be able to drive for more than 15 minutes. Can you drive with the spare 99 cent key for 15-20 minutes and see if your car shuts off or security light turns on? Please someone verify. I'm lazy
Old Sep 17, 2004, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

I also have a CompuStar alarm and I KNOW EXACTLY how long it takes my car to shut down. Let's say my HKS TT tells me 2.10 seconds. I wait approx 2.5 minutes and check the status of my car. If my pager tells me that the car is still running, I'm grabbing some beer bottles or a pipe. If I cant detect my car, I'll do the same. If I detect it and it's shut off with all doors closed and locked, I'm fine.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

sorry to hear about your car being stolen, but atleast you got it back with the engine and tranny, I currently own a modified honda and i go on honda-tech.com and there are so many car stolen threads due to engine swaps and the ability to reuse honda parts with other hondas, and we came up with one conclusion: all thieves should die.