Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Stolen

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Stolen

Well, my evo was stolen yesterday, right from the Marriott parking lot too. I was on a business trip, so hopefully they will take care of the costs instead of my insurance.

Good news is, they found the car. About 1500 dollars worth of stereo equipment is gone, and they jacked up my ignition and front door locks. They crooks also took some strange things. They took my owners manual and floor mats. They even took a five dollar rachet set I had in the trunk. I had and HKS turbo timer, and they went through the trouble of disconnecting it perfectly, even going back to the ecu and unplugging the taps I had put in there. But get this, they left my Takata harnesses??? It would have taken them 5 minutes to steal them, but they left them right there. I'm not complaining, just a little baffled. Why go through all that trouble to take a hundred dollar turbo timer and leave 360 dollar harnesses??? They also left my handheld mp3 player, which is about 300 dollars.

I guess they were just stupid, who knows.

Anyway, they also did something to my front bumper. Not sure what, but it'll probably need replacing. Does anybody know how much stock bumpers cost? I was thinking of getting an aftermarket one instead. I think I've seen the Gaillia bumpers for like 600??? Is this about what a stock bumper would cost? I know OEM parts are usually more expensive than aftermarket stuff, for some reason. Also, I wanted to get the evo 7 style bumper, what else do I need to put it on? Evo 7 headlights? If so, how much would those cost?

Thanks guys.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey!

Really sorry about what happened to you car.. at least the thieves were too dumb not to take the Takata harness..

Btw, What color is your EVO? A friend of mine is selling his GP Sports front bumper. Its painted in Tarmac Black. He waited a long time for these but it is too low for his taste. So now he decides to sell it ASAP. $550 plus shipping is what he's asking for, IIRC. Im sure he is negotiable. Please send me a PM if you urgently need a bumper replacement.

Thanks

Cal
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Man that sux ***. At least you got it back tho. I'm gonna start using my autolock again just to make my car less attractive to theives. I thought the immobilizer was supposed to make the car impossible to start without the matching key, guess thats bull****?? What state did this happen in?
Old Aug 22, 2004, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
btw, if you are looking for EVO 7 front bumper, I can get it for you. But you will lose your stock front bumper beam, and also need an evo 7 hood to match the contour of the ver7 bumper. You can still re-use the headlights as they are the same. Its about $550 + shipping for the EVO 7 front bumper from Japan. I can get you used ones, but depend on condition.

Thanks

Cal
Old Aug 22, 2004, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

I wonder how the heck they managed to start the car in the first place.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 01:13 PM

The state it was stolen in was New York. I live and work in Connecticut, and was in NY for business. The car ended up in the Bronx. I'm not sure how they started it. They completely ripped out the ignition lock, so that you could use a screwdriver to start the car. Although when I got I tried to do it, nothing happened. I think they must have pulled a few fuses to disable the car. I have lojack, which is how I found the car so quickly. I think what theives do nowdays is ditch a car somewhere for a few days. If the cops havent' found it by then, it probably doesn't have lojack, and they know it's save to steal for good. Anyway, I think they disabled the car so that someone else wouldn't steal the car from them.

As for the color, my car is apex silver. I'd love to pick up an evo 7 bumber, but what would be the drawback to remvoing the front bumper bar??? What purpose does it serve? And I'd love to pick up a cf hood, but I don't think it's in the budget right now. If you need a new hood to put an evo7 bumper on there, I don't think I could afford it.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jansolo
I wonder how the heck they managed to start the car in the first place.

I've heard rumor that the Immobilizer is easily defeated through one of the 3 wires that run up around the console that are for it. If you ground out the black wire, rumor has it that the Immobilizer thinks the proper key is in place....

After that, it's just a matter of busting the column lock.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

By removing the front bumper beam you would lose support for a front end collision. In the US we have guidelines where Japan does not. The GP Sports bumper is really nice I wish I could afford it. It's even a perfect color match.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
oh ****.... the immobilizer can be so easily disabled?
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

I think this is how cars get stolen cause thieves go on boards to see how to disable stuff like the immobilizer. I'm gonna start using my autolock again cause the immobilizer isn't too hard to disable
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've also heard that wiring in a turbo timer or the use of a tt harness does away with the immobilizer function.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuorder
I've also heard that wiring in a turbo timer or the use of a tt harness does away with the immobilizer function.
Can someone confirm this?
Old Aug 22, 2004, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thoe99
Can someone confirm this?

Based on the logic circuitry used, I would think that using a TT would only defeat the Immobilizer while the car is timing down. In other words, once you pull the key out of the ignition and the TT is counting down, you could put a generic key that has been cut to match a OEM key and it would allow the car to turn back on. However, onve the car actually shuts off and the circuits deenergize, you would need a key with an Immobilizer chip in it to start the car again. I have a turbo timer on my car, so I could try to get Wal-Mart or somewhere to cut me a key and have it as a spare for unlocking doors in emergencies and whatever. I'll test the theory and post back on this thread.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
uhm.... do you guys know how the immobilizer works? in order to run a tt you have to scrap your spare key by keeping it in the car in a hidden place. it completely disables the immobilizer function because the key will always be in proximity of the car (the immobilizer will only start if one of your factory keys is withing a certain proximity, that's what immobilizer is). so with a tt you can even hotwire the car i believe. which is why tt is bad!

**** now that i think about it, i'm so stupid for saying what i said earlier. immobilizer is not so easily outdone. YOU HAD A TT, THAT'S WHAT ALLOWED THEM TO DRIVE AWAY WITH YER CAR! if they unplugged it carefully, it's only to hotwire the car after the steering column rip apart didn't cut it. AHHH you guys really need to inform yourselves on the security systems of this car! we don't want evos gettin' stolen, bad enuff they can break in and take what they will... if they make away with your entire car... that's DEATH!
Old Aug 22, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
uhm.... do you guys know how the immobilizer works? in order to run a tt you have to scrap your spare key by keeping it in the car in a hidden place. it completely disables the immobilizer function because the key will always be in proximity of the car (the immobilizer will only start if one of your factory keys is withing a certain proximity, that's what immobilizer is). so with a tt you can even hotwire the car i believe. which is why tt is bad!

Then why does my Turbo Timer work? I pull out the key, and I know where every key that I have to the car is, and they aren't near the car. Yes, I installed it myself. Blitz FATT III with wiring harness.

Quick Reply: Evo Stolen