Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2004, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it just me?

is it just me or does anyone have this issue. i have a UR turbo back, manual boost controller, forge BOV, K&N drop in filter, and its dynoflashed. i was thinking i wanted to get a bit more power with full driveability so i got tried an AEM intake. The intake makes my car so much louder! (not a good thing for me) Also i have fluttering issues with my Forge BOV. (tried every damn combo for springs and shims).

I'm guessing not but would a re-flash help at all with fluttering or bucking issues?

I want a car that i can drive comfortably everyday. so i was thinking of using the AEM filter with my stock rubber intake pipe. What do you guys thinks???

i took out my intake and put my stock air box back on. much nicer for me.
i was thinking about getting a HKS 264 set of cams. would this hurt my everyday drive to work in downtown L.A.???
help guys
Old Aug 23, 2004, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

is there anyway you can adjust the bov? for a better drive around town, i suggest p&ping your o2 housing and exh. manifold. there is a excellent write up about it.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've said it a zillion times: I would not use any type of intake-on-a-stick with any car using a MAF/VAF sensor. if you convert to MAP only, or the car came that way originally, then great.

but otherwise it's a sure fire way to get a car that performs like *** at part throttle. when you see someone saying they can "tune" around it with a flash or whatever, that is only at WOT. it still will run like *** at part throttle especially in varying throttle conditions. deleting the airbox robs the mass air or vortex air sensor of the stability it needs and allows reversion across the meter. air is supposed to be measured just once-- same problem with a MAF/VAF when venting to the atmosphere.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My HKS RS does not flutter or buck. That is not the cause. The MAF has LONG vortices before the sensor to smooth the air. It makes no difference what is before it. The problem lies in the Forge BOV. Putting you stock intake on probably made it quieter and seem more gentle. You also probably work the throttle differently now and not so much with your ear. The stock intake makes you a smoother driver. Get an MR diverter valve or the stock one and it will be better. My car with the will do a little buck at very low RPMs with my foot on the gas but guess what. I figured out that I was going slowly over tiny imperfections in the parking lot/road and my foot was actually jostling the pedal just enough to fluctuate the RPMs. So now I either give it more gas or idle around. It is smooth as butta! Another thing that contributes is the fact that I tightened my throttle cable to where there is minimal slack. So now every little tap counts.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

what about getting a HKS 264 set of cams. would this hurt my everyday drive to work in downtown L.A.???
help guys
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

cams won't hurt at all.it will just get you to work ouicker
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

QUOTE - cams won't hurt at all.it will just get you to work ouicker - QUOTE
work ouicker .......... i don't get it.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

quicker.damn hs ed.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

oic..... 264 cams are very very streetable? no idle problems?
anyone else or anyone who has cams?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

The flash is supposed to be redone when you get an intake. That is considered a major upgrade, especially on a car with some mods done already.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

To get the Forge valve to stop fluttering, you have to let off the throttle suddenly so the valve dumps the air all at once, instead of in bursts.

While we are on this topic, does anyone know if it hurts the car to when it bleeds off the pressure in bursts instead of one big dump?!?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

I have always been under the impression that the flutter is compressor surge. Please correct me if I am wrong. The stock recirc. valve sounds good and is not rediculously loud.

I have the AEM intake also. I have never really felt any difference from it other then the fact that the car revved a little quicker. After I get my custom tune from Al I will give impression.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by snapb1
does anyone know if it hurts when it bleeds off the pressure in bursts instead of one big dump?!?
This doesn't sound right, man.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

i took mmy forge bov off and im getting a MR valve instead. vivid racing was nice enough to take the bov back and give me store credit!!
as for my intake.... im going to try to put it back with my mr vavlve and get re-flashed from al.