Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just got my new WR Engine Damper

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2004, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does any other company make the engine damper? I plan on getting this as well.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got some definite apprehensions about this peice.

1. It's weapon r. They're world famous for making junk.

2. Couldn't this be better accomplished with a set of engine mount inserts?

3. If you're using one of these on the t-belt side. Wouldn't you need a matching one on the drivers side in order to prevent the engine from twisting in a diagonal? I can just picture the dampener absorbing the load on one side of the engine while the other side bucks even more severely as a result.

The comments about the engine idling smoother and shifting better make absolutely no sense (C'mon, the tranny's on the other side of the car and would benefit the least from this thing). Those type of statements just indicates to me that it's one of those situations where you notice something (really, anything) different that may not even be there because you just wrenched on your car. Again, not trying to call anybody out, but I'd love to see some quantitative analysis done here before we allow Weapon R to pass this thing off as useful.

Last edited by 144mph; Nov 13, 2004 at 12:12 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...87#post1387287

before you worry yourself to death on hypothetical theories, i have had one of these engine dampners for over a moth now. you can read my initial & long term impressions over in this thread
Old Nov 13, 2004, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

For $116, it cant hurt. JUN also sells the same/similar set, I'm assuming probably double the price too. If JUN is selling it, it must be good right.........right.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have JIC's the studs are too short to use the WR tower bracket, so simply line up the unit and drill the factory strut bar for mounting, doing this also saves a half a pound or so from not using the WR bracket.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

It would appear that a certain 9 second Evo is running this part.

Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CBRE
If you have JIC's the studs are too short to use the WR tower bracket, so simply line up the unit and drill the factory strut bar for mounting, doing this also saves a half a pound or so from not using the WR bracket.
sorry to ask such a newbie question, but i've been wondering for a long time...what is a JIC?
Old Nov 14, 2004, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolute
sorry to ask such a newbie question, but i've been wondering for a long time...what is a JIC?

Have you tried searching???

I installed one of these a week ago. Didn't really notice any difference one the street. I did notice the clutch engagement is perceptibly better, but not by much. I just finished autocrossing today, a definate difference can be felt when shifting under power. There was one corner where you coming down a straight into a right hand hairpin corner where first gear was required. I could hit the braking zone and I could hit first gear with no drama at all (it was up-shifting and down-shifting like a hot knife through butter)

I was not pleased with the finish of the product. Out of the package every threaded part of the damper was only hand tight. You have to take the time to make sure everything is properly tightened and torqued before installing otherwise you run the risk of the damper falling to peices (and have them fall down into the belts)
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
Have you tried searching???
i will
Old Nov 15, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

JIC is some "performance part" company in Japan. Personally, I am not impressed with their products. Others like them. I think they get a lot of attention just because they are "jdm".

back to the topic: Do you think that this could be used instead of firmer engine mounts or inserts? I feel a lot of engine movement and was considering urethane engine mounts, but this seems much easier to install...but does it work as good?
Old Feb 11, 2005, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JustDSM
Aprox. how much does this thing weigh? Odd question, but I'm the curious type.
brackets are heavy but the dampener is pretty light. i would say 7 lbs total.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

sweet
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

hey, how come your instructions were so much more clearer than mine, mine were all faded.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Talking

The Weapon R "engine dampener" is not a real "dampener" in sorts. Mustang guys have been using the same strategy for a long time. It's mainly used in the Fox-body mustangs.

Here's a little info with a pic of what I just googled. In the Mustang world, they are called Torque straps. Also check out How to make your own torque strap for a better pic. The object is to keep the motor from moving when you get on the gas. Might I add this does a great job of it as well. I know exactly what bo0oost is saying. I should know, I used it on my 390rwhp & 391rwtq Steeda mustang flawlessly!

The motor basically twists less. Which inturn applies more torque to the wheels instead of spending it wringing out the motor.

Last edited by Dr. EV0; Feb 13, 2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:14 PM
Account Disabled

It's a nice part but I am not paying $180 for it, that's nuts.

Quick Reply: Just got my new WR Engine Damper