Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MMC EVO Aluminum Roof Technical Paper

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
This really isnt nothing new alot of track guys do this thats why the rs is on the top ten fastest cars sold becasue of all the ill things mistu is and have worked on over the years of rally.

The ams roof looks great it might be light weight and all but. One hard launch plus and chasie bend off the line and that roof will crack. I can bet anyone that roof wont last. Thats why there is no lifetime warrenty that goes with it. Its more for the drag raceing guys that are looking for the edge .

You would not put that roof on a track car as many g's they hit it would crack after a few hard turns.
This is not entirely true. Depending on the orientatoin of the plies and the # of plies. The roof probably will not crack from stresses. If this was the case, all aircraft parts (including flight controls and fuselage sections) by your theory would crack as they are subjected to much higher stresses than a car. Look at carbon fiber driveshafts as well. Think of the torsional stress they are subjected to.

Last edited by althemean; Mar 1, 2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:26 AM

^^^

That is an interesting interpretation, however, AMS is using them on their Time Attack cars as well as their drag cars. Cabon fiber is extremely strong depending on the backing. The bonding materials are damn near bulletproof, so I don't believe there will be any cracking going on.

Paul
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by althemean
This is not entirely true. Depending on the orientatoin of the plies and the # of plies. The roof probably will not crack from stresses. If this was the case, all aircraft parts (including flight controls and fuselage sections) by your theory would crack as they are subjected to much higher stresses than a car. Look at carbon fiber driveshafts as well. Think of the torsional stress they are subjected to.

Im not saying it will happen right away even if it was the strongest product out at one point it will have to give it might last a few weeks or a few years but it will happen sooner or later. If it doesnt then the carbon was sent out for cryo process which would make the carbon 300 times stronger if they did something like that then i would would say its a great product.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i couldent live with out my sunroof so its worth it to me
Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Im not saying it will happen right away even if it was the strongest product out at one point it will have to give it might last a few weeks or a few years but it will happen sooner or later. If it doesnt then the carbon was sent out for cryo process which would make the carbon 300 times stronger if they did something like that then i would would say its a great product.
Don't mean to call B.S., but I can find no reference to cryogenic treatment of carbon fiber composites in the automotive or aerospace industry. I only did a quick search, so if I missed it - please show us where you found that cryo treated carbon fiber composite is "300" times stronger than non-cryogenically treated CFC.

Carbon fiber, when made properly is a VERY flexible and resilient material. Think of carbon fiber fishing poles - they can bend ALOT and support huge stresses almost indefinitely. Also, there is some car - can't remember which one, that has transverse CF leaf springs.

I don't forsee anyone having any problems with the AMS CF roof. If they can run 9's and with Time Attacks with it on their cars with no problems, then I think us mere mortals don't need to worry.

EVOlutionary
Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not saying it will happen right away
You sure about that, Chief?

One hard launch plus and chasie bend off the line and that roof will crack.

Also, do you even have a vague understanding of what the cryo process is all about? You're really suggesting that a cryogenically treated carbon fiber roof will be stronger ? You don't have to be an expert in metallurgy to know how silly that idea is. But go ahead and prove me wrong. While you're at it, get your brakepads cryo treated so they operate at cooler temperatures too. That sounds about right.

AMS has already stated that they will charge between $500-700 to install their CF roof.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

^ You obviously have only had expirence with fiberglass backed, poorly constructed carbon products, when done right it is costly but carbon is much stronger and more resilient than steel or Al. hence why it is used in airplane applications. I'm not sure if the ams roof is dry carbon (injected resin into composite as opposed to resin applied to composite material) but the ams cf roof panel has been designed and tested to be on the evo under racing situations. It is not just cf laid on fiberglass as alot of hoods and such of the evo are... it is made of carbon/kevlar backing which is what bulletproof vests are constructed of. VERY strong material.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cryogenically treated carbon fiber? WTF!? What will they cryo next, Krispy Kreme donuts ?
Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

I believe the AMS roof is carbon/kevlar. Strong stuff.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

I'm looking forward to seeing what the sunroof weighed on my 03. my sponsor took it out and rivited a piece of aluminum over the hole. I doubt 60 pounds, probably more like 45...but that much weight off of the roof can only help....
Old Mar 1, 2007, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor

This really isnt nothing new alot of track guys do this thats why the rs is on the top ten fastest cars sold becasue of all the ill things mistu is and have worked on over the years of rally.

The ams roof looks great it might be light weight and all but. One hard launch plus and chasie bend off the line and that roof will crack. I can bet anyone that roof wont last. Thats why there is no lifetime warrenty that goes with it. Its more for the drag raceing guys that are looking for the edge .

You would not put that roof on a track car as many g's they hit it would crack after a few hard turns.
Where do you get this stuff from????

We have this roof on BOTH of our time attack cars and our drag car. This is a CARBON/KEVLAR piece with a foam core. We are not talking about some show piece here. this was built for strength. It WILL NOT crack under a hard launch and chassis flex. Speed world challenge, LeMans and F1 are using the same type of composites and are pulling more G's then we do and they are not cracking.....why would this??????

Julio you really need to stop with these supposed facts you pull out of nowhere. You have NOTHING to back up the above statement so it simply shouldn't be said. All you are doing is feeding people looking for information the WRONG information.

For those that question the roofs integrity and rigidity I invite you to come to the shop and take a look for yourself. Why would we spend the money to make a mold to put on our car if we were not confident that it would work?!?!

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Mar 1, 2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone with an Aluminum roof wish you had a sunroof?? Look here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...90#post4036690
Old Mar 1, 2007, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

consider this a warning. if you're going to throw out an opinion, label it as such. If you're claiming this as a fact be prepared to support that with data. Carbon fiber, and carbon kevlar honeycomb panels are extremely strong and durable. We use them every day as primary structural components for military fighter aircraft that can withstand a 9g turn and more than Mach 2. the long term durability of the composites is a direct function of the resin system that is used in it's fabrication. Cryo treatment of structural composites is still in it's infancy and be really interested to know where you're getting your ideas from. Don't reply though b/c it has nothing to do with this thread...

Last edited by Greg K; Mar 1, 2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 03:56 PM
Account Disabled

2006-BMW-M6-Carbon-Fiber-Roof-

looks like someone got it to work

Old Mar 1, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ thats sweet

Quick Reply: MMC EVO Aluminum Roof Technical Paper