Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

High Rpms..is it a bad thing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with the mods i have.. the car revs to 7800.. and when im on the track it is always runnin from 6000-7800 for 20 min sessions and it is as good as new.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I drove it 1100 miles non-stop on a roadtrip before, cruising at 85-95mph, with occasional blasts. Still fine today
Old Aug 31, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

its worst to under-rev your car than to over-rev it.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreedMOTO
I cruze on the freeway all the time at 80+ mph. Traffic flows at that pace, so legality is not an issue.

My Turbo Timer cools me down based on how hard I drive and the duration I drive for.

High RPM's = longer time to cool = no damage.

Wow. its amazing the misinformation that spreads around on here.

1) The fact that traffic flows at an illegal pace does not make legality a non-issue. The "basic driving law" of common sense and following the flow of traffic and speed to the extent that conditions will allow is only used for lowering the limit, not increasing it

2) a turbo timer isn't really essential for our turbos, for several reasons that a simple search will bring up. But the HKS type 1 "calculator" is imperfect b/c it doesn't take into account the boost levels that your turbo is putting out. It just factors in rpms and mph i believe.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alex_alex
...1) The fact that traffic flows at an illegal pace does not make legality a non-issue. The "basic driving law" of common sense and following the flow of traffic and speed to the extent that conditions will allow is only used for lowering the limit, not increasing it...
Tell me you're not one of those jackasses who go slower than the flow of traffic and also stays in the passing lane. You got an Evo for crying out loud.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are many fine examples of well performing high mileage DSMs on original motors. Our 4g63s are built very well and can take the mileage. The key to longevity is good tuning and do your regular oil changes.

Cylinder pressures while cruising at 4k rpm are nothing compared to when you're under boost. I would guess that boosting puts a lot more wear on the motor.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thoe99
Tell me you're not one of those jackasses who go slower than the flow of traffic and also stays in the passing lane. You got an Evo for crying out loud.
Irrelevant. Im not, but totally irrelevant. What in the world does that have to do with the legality of doing so?

You're assuming that i can't point out something that is illegal without having complied with the law myself.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Irrelevant. Im not, but totally irrelevant. What in the world does that have to do with the legality of doing so?

You're assuming that i can't point out something that is illegal without having complied with the law myself.
You guys should take this outside.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

From what I remember in drivers ed class, going faster than the posted limit is legal as long as its within a reasonable limit and the flow, meaning many cars not 2 or 3, is traveling at that rate.. Anyway this post was about High Rpm's for a long period of time, and i feel content now to drive my car without worry. The thing that bothered me, was after driving 4hours at around 90 or so with the AC on full.. It would take my car a ridiculous amount of time to cool down before i could shut it off to get gas. the heat kreeped up the manifold turning it red and plenty of crackling could be heard while cooling, that was my original concern..
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Just asking a question, in response to your stickler-like reply. Don't take offense to that. I just hate people who drive on the highway at no more than the speed limit, staying and remaining in the far left passing lane. It is a passing lane!
Old Sep 1, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

i drove my eclipse gst 90 miles a day, all highway, rolling 80-90... its got 180,000 miles on it and still doing just fine.

i have the same worries just cause the cars newer, but i should know better.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

HIgh RPM's is bad I blew of IC piping at high boost and RPMS
Old Sep 1, 2004, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

blowing off a IC pipe is the boost, not the RPM
Old Sep 1, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

My sister Xb cruises even higher then the evo, then again its a 1.5L
Old Sep 1, 2004, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

is it bad if his manifold was getting so hot that it was turning red?? My car has never done this, or not that I know of, but is that bad or what??