Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

This F'n blows...I need some help please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2004, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going out on a limb here, but is there a law in Illinois that requires the officer who signed the ticket to be the officer who witnessed the infraction? I heard stories about people getting out of tickets when they were clocked by a plane or a cop on the overpass. People would get out of the ticket because the cop who pulled the car over is not the cop with the equipment. It might work for you if you can get the cop to admit that he wrote a ticket for something that he did not see. There are situations when the cop does not have to be there, but it's not like it was something obvious like a rear-end accident.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:07 PM

IT could get tossed out of court. cause for it to be a serious offense ie a felony the crime has to be commited in front of the ticketing officer. If its not then it is just a misdeminor whichu can get a lawyer to reduce it to a parking ticket
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, this sucks.. maybe you shoulda just drove off and tell them you thought he was trying to car jack you.

On a more serious note, I think you'll need a lawyer on this one. The cops will have a writeen police report documenting every single detail. If you're going to have any chance at beating him, you have to be just as well prepared. Have papers to back up your claims, like the tire operating temperature range, etc. Good luck.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think there is a law for breaking the rear tires loose .

I think you will be fine showing up on your own and pleading your case; remember, Judges Do Not Like Seeing AGGRESIVE (contempt) Behaviour in the Court Room !!!!!

You'll be fine - Good Luck!
Old Sep 1, 2004, 05:52 AM

Derek,

As long as you have an attorney, you have nothing to worry about. He'll be able to get it thrown out. Relax. Keep the EVO. The guy was having a bad day and took it out on you. Most important - keep your cool in court.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE!!!

Well...I talked to a few people and took advice, I went out to hire a lawyer. The first guy on the list...turns out is the best guy...but represents Waukegan cops! LOL Figures...but I presented him with all the info...he asked if I had the cops name, said no but gave hima description. He says "That's officer Hakim (pronounced Ha-Keem)...he's a REAL @$$ hole! I'd love to take this case but because I represent Waukegan, if he was to show up I would have to drop out of the case and have another lawyer brought in, but I would REALLY like to persue this so I will refer you to a collegue of mine David Del Re". So I say thanks...and go see David.

I get to Davids place, he's really cool...listens to me...loves my car! LOL I tell him what went on, full description of everything that happend. He comes out with "Sounds like Officer Hakim, he's a real @$$ hole!" So I start laughing my @$$ off...tell him that's what Chuck Smith said...he laughs and says "No one likes this guy, he's very well known for starting trouble". So he takes the case and I drop $350 into his hands. Give him a pic of my car and the write up I did that explained everything.

Well court was today. My dad insisted he come with. We show up...and guess what, my Dad knows the prosecutor from High School and is GOOD friends with him. They talk for a while...shoot the ****...my dad is asked about me and what kind of record I have and what all I am doing there. He explains it...I hear Hakims name mentioned along with "that jack @$$" all in the same sentence...and then I hear "Don't worry...this will be short". No sign of Officer Hakim...but the Gurnee cops walks in...I'm like "Damn it!". My lawyer David shows up with a file about 1 1/2" thick that he said was "research". He did some background checks on my car, what it was capable of, and stuff on this jack @$$ officer Hakim from Waukegan. He goes to say hi to the Prosecutor they talk for a little, I hear Hakims name mentioned, asks if I have any record at all (spotless record thank you!). My name is called...I approach the bench...Prosecutor says..."Your honor, this violation was from a third party witness that is not present, we ask that all charges are dropped" (now keep in mind this is the guy that is SUPPOSED to be trying to nail me for the ticket). Judge looks at him for a second...looks at my Lawyer...and says..."Ok...dismissed!" At this point I'm like....WTF just happend...take my DL and go! LOL

Later on in the day...my friend that used to work at that court house that knew what was going on because I told him text's me with..."He didn't show did he? LOL" So I call him and ask if he did anything....he said "I can't comment on that" So I say "Thanks bro...I owe you BIG time!"

Thank god for friends, Dad's with connections, and Lawyers!!!
Old Sep 23, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah buddy go! Gives me a little faith in the system that not all courts are kangaroo courts. Score one for the good guys!
Old Sep 23, 2004, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

lmao, thats an awesome story
Old Sep 23, 2004, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Glad this worked out the way it did. Sadly, I think there are far too many of these cases. All either due in part to generate money or just law enforcement abusing it's powers. The citation should never have been given.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

well that's great. I just got a ticket for something similar. I turned right out of a gas station to merge onto the interstate. the exit of the gas station is only about 3 car lengths from the on ramp of the interstate. so, I pull out and accelerate to get in front of traffic. I didn't get on it real hard or even rev my engine more then 4-5k. when I pulled out I stayed in first gear and in the turning lane to get onto the interstate. I had the green light and turned onto the on ramp. the on ramp of the interstate is not a straight 90 degree right turn. it's more of a 120 degree. I keep accelerating till I got to the bottom of the ramp and was doing 75mph. the on ramp of the interstate starts the 4th lane so I didn't have to merge. well as soon as I get to the bottome of the ramp a semi is right beside, I have been ran off into the sholder of the road right there before. so I keep accelerate at 75mph untill I was about 2 car lengths ahead of the semi and then slow'd down a mph or so. the cop was an unmark car and pulled in behind me and pulled me over. he gave me a ticket for negligent driving. he said I accelerated to fast out of the gas station. I no for a fact I didn't get over 10 or 12psi cause I always watch my boost gauge. so there wasn't any hard acceleration. I didn't accelerate any harder then anyone else that would be pulling out into traffic. I rarely drive my car because the cops are very strict around here espially with flashy car with big wings. I'm gonna fight it in court. I think it's rediculous that the cops are so hard on the import cars around here. On saturday nights there is a local hot rod muscle car show at sonic, right down the road from where I live. almost ever car that leaves that place get's on it and burns tires and everything. I think it's a very bs ticket, if I was to launch it and burn tires and what not then I would not fight it. but I was driving, what I thought to be normal. thanks for listening

-Chad-
Old Sep 23, 2004, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Boostfed...you were probably targeted mainly because of the flashyness of our cars...but also because of the speed you were passing at. Don't take it too hard...I don't think anyone on this board would say they haven't gotten on it a little just to pass someone in the same situation you were in...god knows I have! LOL Good luck!
Old Sep 23, 2004, 05:36 PM

CONGRATS Derek! I knew it would work out for you.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

take it to court
Old Sep 23, 2004, 07:41 PM

Oh hell man, I live in Gurnee, right off Hunt Club haha, work at the Gurnee Mills at the Radio shack, I got baited by a cop last winter in the middle of night, those SOBs are real BS around Lake county, I tell you; glad to hear you got some fair judging in court, I've been lurking this board for a while but I never noticed anyone from the gurnee area, PM me Im interested in your club!
Old Sep 23, 2004, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

What color is yor car? please post pics. Do yu live in Gurnee or where? I am in Gurnee and Ive probably seen yu before.

Quick Reply: This F'n blows...I need some help please