Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

This F'n blows...I need some help please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This F'n blows...I need some help please

Ok...here is the story...

I picked up my car from where I keep it stored. I drive a block and a half down to the intersection. You can't see left but you can see right mostly (fence to the right bushes and trees to the left so you HAVE to stop and look). I stop at the sign and think...hey I could make that...but I decided to wait. A clearing came up...and I went...proceeded into the intersection...half way through my rear end slides out...I wasn't punching it...so I let off the gas...and tap the brake. I straighten out...proceed about a block down...traffic is stopped so I stop. I'm sitting there and all of the sudden a bald black guy comes running up to my car (now remember I am a bald white guy so I am a little shocked at first) screaming out "Give me your DL now!" I look at him and say "NO!" He said it again with a lot more force "I SAID GIVE ME YOUR DL NOW!" I say "F you I'm not giving you sh*t who the hell are you?" He then pulls out a badge...he is an off duty cop from another town. So I grab his badge and look at it...it looks fake...then again I've never seen one before cuz I don't do stupid crap in my car. I have a perfectly clean record. So I check it out and ask why...he says I raced into the intersection and whipped my car into traffic to beat everyone. So I say "I don't recognize your athority and even if you are a Waukegan cop you are out of your jurisdiction". So I complain and give my DL to him...what else am I supposed to do? (edit...sorry forgot to mention that this Waukegan cop was traveling in the OTHER direction and pulled a U in the middle of a 4 lane road to pull up next to me in traffic)

He calls Gurnee cops and they show...gurnee cop asks me if I knew why I was pulled over and I told him what happend...and what the Waukegan cop did to me. During this...the Waukegan cop is talking sh*t to me about how I need to learn how to drive etc. So I go off...saying I know how to drive and ask "Did you see me pull up to the sign...did you see me stop for about a minute waiting for traffic?" He said no...so I said "then you don't know sh*t...I know how to drive so you can kiss my @$$!" He comes back with "You can kiss my @$$ in court" So I get out of my car (dumb move) and start yelling at him and he is yelling back...Gurnee cop asks me nicely to get back into my car...so I do. Gurnee cop comes back and issues me a ticket FOR the Waukegan cop stating I was recklesly driving! I said to the Gurnee cop "this is BS and I wasn't screwing around...look at my gauges I have almost 20K on the clock....check my tires they are starting to wear down and when it's cold the tires do NOT grip until they are warmed up!" Gurnee cop says I'm sorry I wasn't here to witness this...and all he can do is take the Waukegan cops word for it. Gives me the ticket and tells me to talk to the Judge on the date shown!

This is TOTAL BS...I have NO record AT ALL...I am 31 years old with a child. I don't screw around like that...I drive correctly...I run a car club with a pretty much 0 Tolerance to this kind of driving! I feel just because my car slid out from the rear that I was targeted because of the kind of car I drive.

Can ANYONE please help me? This is some serious crap...I could lose my DL...my car...and face between 1500-5000 in fines!

(New edit as of 5:43 central 8/30/04) I swear to god this is the kind of crap I hate dealing with so much it seriously makes me want to sell my car! I am being dead serious. Anyone want to make me an offer I'm all for it...at least for now

Last edited by zupber4930; Aug 30, 2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

I would not worry about it. I don't even think that cop could give you a ticket because he did not see anything. I'm not sure though. I can not see this holding up in court expecially with a good record. You just have to waste your time now.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Get a lawyer, simple as that. Even if you could do everything yourself you are still much better off with a lawyer, simply because a judge will actually listen to him.

I know you did nothing wrong and feel you are getting screwed, and you are. But it is going to cost you now, and I would much rather pay a lawyer (and have a good chance at acquital) than the state. Think of it this way even if it cost you a grand, it will cost the state five or ten times that trying to prosecute you.

Someone will suggest going to internal affairs or the equivalent and you can, but I haven't ever heard of that working...

A certain person I know got a BS 112 in a 65 thrown out of court, in a spectacular series of Perry Mason moments I might add, with the aid of a good lawyer. http://www.motorists.com/ has a good list. I am a member will pull the names, send me a PM if you are interested.
Evolving Member

First, there is no way a guy without any equipment can tag you for reckless. He has no idea how fast you were going, he was on foot and around a corner. Furthermore, he won't make a very good witness for a moving violation. The cop who wrote you the ticket didn't see what happened. So both of them have to be in court. Not so likely. If this guy does show, he has no evidence, as he wasn't following you, and has no radar, or anything. All he saw was you spin tires, which is not, by any means, reckless driving. Your story sounds a little suspect, as I have a pretty rough time breaking the rear end loose from a stop without really getting on the throttle. Maybe there was some oil or something, I donno. Regardless, if this is really all that happened, and there was no more to see, I don't see how it'll stand up in court.
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just go to court you should be able to fight it.
Evolved Member

That really sucks.

I guess you could show up in court with information about your tires' operating range and demonstrate that given their state of wear it would be feasible that they could slide under hard acceleration. Then you might be looking at a ticket for unsafe equipment but that sure beats the hell out of reckless driving. I'm assuming your tires are DOT legal, just worn down.

Seems like your clean record will be a big asset though.

What a pain in the ***, geez.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

This sucks. Sorry to hear about your situation.

First and foremost, if you have to go to court, keep your cool. Loosing your cool in court will not look good for you. As it will make the judge think twice about your character.

Judging by your clean driving record, you could explain to the judge that buy pulling out into traffic (after waiting of course) the tires, as advertised by mitsubishi on their video that they show when you bought it ) do not have good cold traction. Your rear end came out, and you straightened it out and proceeded forward.

Best thing would be to consult a judge. I wouldnt be too concerned though since your record is clean.

Maybe you could tell the judge you had your child with you ? And you'd never in a million years threaten the life of your kid and any others on the road... Whatever will work

Hope this gets resolved without any repurcussions to you. Keep us updated. Good luck!
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, that sux. sounds like that cop has been hanging out with the cops in my area. sounds just like them. they absolutely love to pick on import cars espically ones with wings (my car). I've never been pulled over before. I've owned 89 Chevy Z71, 99 honda Civic Si( no wing, factory wheels, slightly lowered), 2003 Chevy 2500hd TD(lifted, big wheels and tires), and now my Rally Red Evo. the first week i had the car (last week) I was pulled over and given a ticket for speeding. (I'm use to drive a big lifted up turbo diesel truck not a car) and what sucks is I was picked out of a group of about 8 cars there where going the same speed as me, and some where passing me. So, I fill for you and hope the best. good luck.

-Chad-
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

No way it stands in court. Especially with the off-duty cop swearing at you (that's not acceptable police behavior, makes it look like its a personal matter) You will get off in court and I believe the off-duty office may get a reprimand for his behavior. Any time an officer shows his badge, he becomes an official, meaning he must adhere to on-duty policy.
What an ***.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

That is total BS, I would have Made up a DL number, or just have driven away. Dont worry, as long as you keep your cool, and talk to the judge very calmly and seriously, you should be alright. If you want to really help your chances out, talk to the jerk officer at the magistrate before you appear before the judge. Say something like "Officer i am not contesting your judgement, and im sorry i lost my temper, but i truely feel that i am not at deserving of this fault for this incident and explain why" 99% of the time, he will bargin with you, and giver you something like a failure to obey which is like a 25 dollar fine, and no points." I have been to court and been thru this process one to many times, and this is the best way to increase your chances.. I had a similar incident, just the other day, I was doing a little running with a black corvette, when after a few runs, he pulls out a badge and waves it at me.. I aknowledged, slowed down and ducked into the slow lane. No problems. Keep us updated on whats happening. It will bother your for a while, but im pretty sure youll come out OK. Just be respectful and kiss his *** for best results.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Go to the Gurnee police dept and issue the off duty cop a ticket for making an illegal U-turn. You'll have an easier time proving that than he will proving you were reckless. Also make sure to note how fgast you possibly could go in that circumstance, since I find it hard to believe you could be reckless a low speed. In the end, the judge will throw out both tickets, just watch yourself in Waukegan!
Old Aug 30, 2004, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Doesn't it make you love our law enforcement system even more when such high quality people work for it?

Makes me feel like buying a gun every day...

bryan
Old Aug 30, 2004, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Write down some very specific notes about this case, so your memory doesn't lapse on this.

This is going to come down to a witness credibility issue. The officers that came onto the scene can't testify against you in court, as to what you did, they can only testify that you stopped, and how you were there. Don't let them make a 'narrative', if they didn't take notes on a specific thing, don't let that count as 'evidence' in court.

As for the off duty, dork, try to 1.) get him to testify that he only saw you take off, and didn't see you 'stop' 2.) get him to see that 'accelerating' is very subjective, even according to the viewpoint he was at and 3.) he was there inciting you to anger BEFORE you got angry at him. Or, even better, if the other two officers don't show, testify that you were as calm, "as possible." Also, that you were kind enough to offer your driver's license because, like you said, badges can be fabricated.

Even tho an officer is 'off-duty' he should still treat you with respect. As you should to him. If he started swearing and carrying on, let that factor into the judge's mind that this officer is not impartial, but a hot-head. Hopefully the judge is a good one.

Good Luck,

Cheers,

jcnel.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

that sum ***** is lucky he didn't run into me talkin sideways like that.... i don't claim to be a bad ***, but the ghetto woulda sprung from me that day...
Old Aug 30, 2004, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Likely story... your rear end slid out magically...

Were you driving a Viper or something and mistakened it for your EVO?

Quick Reply: This F'n blows...I need some help please