Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

boost problems?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2004, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost problems?

i've got an autometer phantom gauge and it shows that I'm boosting 17 psi and tapering to 16 should I just install my mbc or should i yell at mitsubishi? also in first and 2nd gears i never really get up past 15 psi even at 4, 5, and 6 rpm's..is this normal? I dont wanna install my mbc if there is a problem and it won't help cuz then mitsubishi is gonna tell me to screw myself..i tightened all the clamps I can get to on all the hoses and vaccum lines..any suggestions, idea's or experiences? thanks guys

Last edited by Speedlimit; Aug 30, 2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

has it been really hot?

it has by me- northeast-

i noticed during the winter, I would consistently boost 19 and even hit 20 sometimes.

when it started to get hot and humid i would boost 16, 17.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

ya actually it was the hottest day of the summer today here..lil bit humid too..u think that was it? maybe tomorrow when it's cooler I will check again to see what the boost is at..good thinking thanks for the info
Old Aug 30, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

even at nighttime, it should be considerably cooler and less humid.. go take her for a spin. as far as the tapering back to 16, thats normal with the stock ecu.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

yep, temperature plays havoc on performance
Old Aug 31, 2004, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

is it possible that the autometer phantom is not reading right? i mean i made sure that everything was sealed pretty well even extra sealed everything with electrical tape around most connections..if it's reading 17 psi and dropping to 16 I dont wanna raise my boost to read 21 psi dropping to 20 and have it really be 23-22 and mess up my engine or detonate..i mean 2 possibilities..either i'm really not boosting 19 psi at all or the gauge is not reading correctly..also it seems to boost only to 15 in 1st, 16 in 2nd through 4th and then 17 in 5th..how do you guys usually check to get 19 psi? what gear? flooring it and holding it? any suggestions would be helpful thanks
Old Aug 31, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

well for me, flooring it and holding until i hit 19 ( only when its cool out) and then it always tapers back. the stock ecu does this on purpose.
from what i understand, the dynoflash or some other ecu's remove this taper and let you hold your boost.

again its been hot lately and i hit 17-18 consistently with it dropping back to 16 like it should.

dont be so paranoid man!!!