Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Tranny of Evo MR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tranny or Evo MR?

I can't believe im ACTUALLY considering this....but my tranny is giving me trouble again. I'd probably get raped on the trade and Ive got a 2000 dollar clutch...should I just get Turbotrix to build the tranny? Or buy the MR?

Last edited by feldguy; Sep 2, 2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

I dont know man, I heard the MR 6 speed tranny is weaker then the 5 speed...It could give you more problems... Id say rebuild the current one. I have heard some bad things when it comes to the 6 speed tranmission though. Either way if you were to get the mr then id probably have that one rebuilt to.

Id say get turbotrix to build the tranny, it will cost you less in the long run depending how much you owe still.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Go read the post of the new road and track test of the MR. The mag said that the new MR 6 speed is a vast improvement over the 5 speed of the current evo. They said you can keep the car in boost and in the meat of the power band much easier. I'd go for an MR if you really have the money. If not, wait about a month til someone wrecks one and do a tranny swap.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dcorn
Go read the post of the new road and track test of the MR. The mag said that the new MR 6 speed is a vast improvement over the 5 speed of the current evo. They said you can keep the car in boost and in the meat of the power band much easier. I'd go for an MR if you really have the money. If not, wait about a month til someone wrecks one and do a tranny swap.

we are not talking about if MR tranny can help you keep the car in boost or not. We are talking if MR tranny would be more reliable. EVO's 6 speed tranny had a big re-call in Japan last year. To this moment no one have the right answer for you as we don’t have the MR's here to test even if we do it will take few months and even more to see how the 6 speed tranny runs (in terms of reliability) I would say stick with 5 speed and rebuild it from TT.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:03 PM

an another link said that through the first 4 or five gears that the ratios of the 5 and 6 speed tranny are nearly identical, so it does seem like having turbotrix rebuild yours is the best option
Old Sep 2, 2004, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

I figure. Im curious, does anyone around have it done by TT? I hear they do awesome work, but under the circumstances, I want a beefy rebuild. I dont know what they do that could make it so much tougher. I was supposed to stop by there today, but I got well liquored up last night and slept in. next week...haha
Old Sep 2, 2004, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by feldguy
but I got well liquored up last night and slept in. next week...haha
thats the way to do it!!.. were are they located anyways? keep us updated on what you find out as well, so ill have some knowledge as to how much it costs and how the final product turns out..
Old Sep 2, 2004, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

They have it listed as a 1400 dollar rebuild. They're located in Highland Park NJ, right off of Rt-1. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

I think it's premature to guess on the MR tranny reliability until it's on the road and in the hands of owners. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of missed gears since the 6 speed gates will be so close.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Try giving john sheppard(Sheppard Racing) a call. He can give you some advice. He builds some of the most bulletproof trannys around at a good price too. He has many options as well.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

The only problem is, I'd have to ship the tranny. Tough to do...especially when Turbotrix would be the guys I'd call to yank it and re-install it. All things equal, I was just out for 2 hours. The tranny hasn't been right since the 2nd rebuild, and the clutch still isn't full disengaging, and the T/O bearing is noisy. I think TT will definitely render all this problems non-existent in the shortest period of time, closest to my home.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
If you were to buy the MR tranny, would it just be a simple swap? or would you have to do a bunch of custom modifications?