Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DEFI Boost Gauge does not work after Dealer warranty service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2004, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEFI Boost Gauge does not work after Dealer warranty service

Ok, first let me qualify this by saying this is not an evil dealer rant. I like the dealer I use very much and I am not angry or p*ssed at them or whatever because they do great work.

I was having a problem where the HVAC knobs were binding and it was very difficult to turn them. I left the car at the dealership on Monday the 30th to fix this, under warranty and they finished it up on Thursday. The reason it took 3 days is because they had to take apart the dash board in order to replace the heating unit.

Now when I go to pick up the car, the service manager pulls me aside and explains that my boost gauge is not functioning. She said the mechanics looked at it for a while, but couldn't figure out what was wrong, mainly because they have never worked with this model of boost gauge (DEFI). She then said that they feel bad about it and will pay any costs associated with fixing it.

So I looked at it this morning and the control unit is functioning fine. Whenever I boost, the control unit starts beeping because I went over the 1 bar default warning. The control unit's lights also work well. My Greddy Profec II and turbo timer also function fine.

The boost gauge- DEFI black face, has its needle stuck on 1 bar. The gauge does not light up or move at all. I checked the wire from the control unit and it was in tact, i.e. not cut or crimped. I have no other DEFI gauges so I don't know if the problem is isolated to the boost gauge or not. I am confused as to why the control unit would function, but the boost gauge would not. I mean, the boost gauge does not have seperate power connections.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the boost gauge would not be functioning? Anything else I should check? Or is the unit dead and I should order another one?

Thanks,
Brad
Old Sep 3, 2004, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Do you think they switched the connection on your gauge from Output 1 to Output2 or vice versa on your controller? BF gauges connect to Output2 if I remember right.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 11:36 AM

hrm, good idea, but I checked that and it was ok. I do not think they actually unplugged the unit, but rather just moved it around.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

You have all these performance mods, including a boost controller and the dealer doesn't care ?
Old Sep 3, 2004, 01:07 PM

Well, I only have EBC and boost gauge and the EBC is hidden in the dash. And they do not care because they were fixing a problem with the heater, not the engine.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Did you check all your hose connections to the boost gauge and the fuel pressure solenoid? Wait a minute...what am I saying? There is only one hose, so the connection should be easy to check. If not, it's the boost gauge itself.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Your dealer sounds cool I wish I had them here. Sorry I'm am no help.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 02:49 PM

Ok guys, problem solved. I pulled out the wire from the back of the boost gauge and reconnected it and voila! it works.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Was it the cord for the lighting or the grounding wire? Those are the only two wires back there.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 06:37 PM

I meant the entire plug. I am not sure which of the wires was loose, but it worked after I reconnected the plug into the boost gauge.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Glad it worked out. Must have just been a loose connection at the gauge.