Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

first oil change...got questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first oil change...got questions

My Evo 8 was purchased in Taiwan so my owners manual from Mitsubishi that came with the car is in Chinese Heres my question regarding the oil change. From what I hear the English manual says the first oil change should be at 1000miles if im not mistaken. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

The Chinese owners manual says the 1st oil change is at 1000km which is about 600 miles. After the first 1000km then every 5k after that(chinese owners manual). Now if this is true then the only thing that I can think about is because in Taiwan the traffic is worse and the weather is hot and humid most of the time. That may be the reason why it is recommend to do the first oil change at about 600 miles? What do you think?
Old Sep 3, 2004, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 600 miles mentioned is the break in period of the EVO... no revving beyond 5000rpm during this stage. Mitsubishi did not mention doing the first oil change right after that period. I did my first oil change at exactly 999 miles (a lil miscalculation with the driving distance to my shop hehe) The synthetic oil can last 10,000 miles or so, but of course it is not a good idea to wait that long for another oil change. Most people will tell you the stock advans will need replacement at approx. 10,000 miles. If you bring your car to the dealership for all services (I assume you do, since youre in taiwan, and most people live in apartments there with no garage and tools), i'd highly suggest doing the first oil change at 1000 miles, bring it back at 5k for a tire rotation and 2nd oil change, and then 5k later, buy new tires and let them doing another oil change.... next major service is at 15,000 miles.
If you are stuck in stop and go traffice daily (depends on where in taiwan you are), do the oil changes at 3k intervals and you'll be fine

Brian
Old Sep 3, 2004, 06:10 PM

WOw...Taipei. How many women do get over there w/ that ride? hehehe. You lucky bastard, if your reading the Chinese right, then just follow whatever it saids.

The US manuel does not said change the oil at 1000km/600miles. Evo Sky is correct. That's the break in period. The manuel and the video many dealers make EVO owners here in USA watch recommend that we change Oil and Tire Rotation every 5000miles on normal driving conditions. Normal meaning that temperature does not dip down below freezing and not above 100 degrees Farenheit without excessive stop and go driving. Don't know how much that is in celcius...probably around 50. They also reconmend you change oil sooner if you STOP and GO excessively, probably around 3k instead of 5k.

I just did my second oil change and first tire rotation in 10,000 miles. Yes i missed the first tire rotation. But i don't drive it hard so i still have good amount of tread left on my tires. The manuel also said the first tire rotation is the most IMPORTANT.
My evo still running great without any issues. The only thing i notice so far is the engine getting noisier at idel.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

I'd actually perform an oil change religiously every 3,000 miles. I'm going to do mine every 2500 on the nose (3 months), except break-in, which'll be after the first week (800 - 1000 miles).

I've seen what comes out of an Evolution's oil pan, and it isn't pretty. I've seen cars that are changed every 2500 miles turn Mobil 1 into this brackish, dark liquid.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Try redline's synethic oil instead... although there is no proven performance advantage with redline oil over mobil one... it appears to me that the redline is cleaner than the mobil 1 after performing an oil change on my buddy's car (5000 miles on Mobil1 ) and 5000 miles on redline oil on my car... ave. oil temp also appears to be a tad bit lower with redline oil according to our recorded oil temperature with the same oil temp gauges
Old Sep 3, 2004, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I have a very different theory. I am going to trust the manual. It say for standard non-severe usage to change every 5K. I am going to trust the team of engineers behind that statement. It sure doesn't hurt to change more often, but it isn't required.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

jimmyv65 is right... but no matter what, change it every 3000 miles or 5000 miles.. that way the oil change will be in sync with the major services that occurs at every 15,000 miles, whether it is 3 oil changes during each major service interval or 5 oil changes per interval...

brian
Old Sep 3, 2004, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Many manufacturers, including their engineering teams, define "normal driving" to be 55-mph on a flat, straight road at 70 degrees F.

How many of you drive like that?

I recommend 3,000 miles, 3-months, whichever comes first for the oil change. If you race your car, you should change it before and after every track day.

It doesn't really matter what brand of oil it is, as long as it meets the viscosity and synthetic requirements.

I recommend RedLine 5W-30 for all-around protection, and 10W-30 for summer temperatures. 10W-40 if you live in a hot climate, and 20W-50 if you're flat out racing.