Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the front crash bar?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2004, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove the front crash bar?

Has anyone removed the US front crash bar? I was thinking about removing it to save the 13lbs, and to unshroud the top of the intercooler, but am concerned about any drawbacks (besides the reduced impact absorbtion). removing the bumper cover looks like to pretty easy so it could be easily reinstalled.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

I would recommend against it for a street-driven car. The Evo has problems passing US crash requirements as it is. Removing the safety features will weaken the car's ability to absorb the energy of the impact in the event of a collision.

I would not do it for a street car.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I agree...thats gotta be one of the worst ways to save 13lbs. Unshrouding the intercooler isnt going to have that much effect with a stock turbo and stock intercooler. You're talking about alot more money in fixes in the event that u hit something. The benefits just dont outweigh the sacrifice in this case IMO.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Also keep in mind that if you wreck and the insurance adjusters notice the crash bar has been removed they can deny any claim you submit. State Farm adjusters did it to a kid I know. My statefarm rep actually drives and EVO.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by g6civcx
The Evo has problems passing US crash requirements as it is.
Where did you get this info? I've never seen any negative information about Evo crash worthyness since this forum started, so I'm curious if you could produce some reports or links. Thx.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrMerl
Where did you get this info? I've never seen any negative information about Evo crash worthyness since this forum started, so I'm curious if you could produce some reports or links. Thx.
Haha! Just tap on the door! Lancers are death boxes! Don't wreck it hard! Still better than a motorcycle though!
Old Sep 6, 2004, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DrMerl
It was widely publicised that the Evo failed the US frontal crash test. That's why they had the redesign a new reinforced front bumper for the Evo VIII.

I will check with my contacts in the NHTSA crash test lab to get their perspective on this model. I will follow up when I have more information.

Plus the base Lancer passed the low speed bumper test with marginal ratings. The Evo failed because they made the bumper weaker.

Last edited by g6civcx; Sep 6, 2004 at 07:28 PM.